Reload this Page >

Fantasy Football Talk 2012

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-19-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

With training camps about to open, I thought it might be time for the 2012 season thread.

Also, I have a question:

My league uses an auction draft, and I'm thinking about instituting a keeper feature this year. For those who have experience with keeper leagues that use an auction draft, how is the keeper handled for the next season's draft budget?

I was thinking I would auto-bump the cost of a kept player by say $5 each year, which benefits drafting a sleeper who pays off. Example, you got Cam Newton for $10 in August 2011, you could keep him this year for $15, leaving you $85 for bidding (in a $100 budget draft)? It also helps keep guys from otherwise never coming up again available (Rodgers, Brees, Brady). I think this would mean primarily rookies and otherwise undervalued steals would be the main keeper players.

Do you limit the number of keepers is some other way?

Also, when do you typically have to declare your keeper for the next season? Seems like you need to give plenty of notice for draft preparations, but you don't want to be forced to keep someone hurt in training camp a week before you hold the draft.

How have you seen this handled, and what way seems to work best?
Old 07-19-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 234 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2012

The auction/dynasty league I run is ($200 cap, 16-20 players/roster):

In our main yearly auction (right before the season starts), it's a 3-year contract at that fixed price. So say I win Andrew Luck at $20. He's $20 for 2012, 2013, and 2014. I have the right to cut him without penalty at any point.

After the initial 3-year contract expires, the owner has the right to sign a extention. It is a 25% escalation for each year. So if I want to re-sign Luck for 3 years from 2015-17, it would be $25 for 2015, $31 for 2016, and $39 for 2017. But if you cut a guy under a retention contract, 50% of his contracted salary still counts against your cap, so if I cut Luck sometime before or during the 2017 season, he still counts $20 against my cap through 2017. An owner can only re-sign a player once.

There's other special rules for free agency and offseason pickups, but that's the main auction/salary feature.

I allow 0-8 keepers - to be declared about a week before our main auction.

I've been doing this league 7 or 8 seasons and it seems to work well. In the main auction, there's usually a few high dollar studs who've been dropped (not worth the enormous price anymore) in the mix, a lot of middle-range players (potential sleepers), and of course the rookies.
Old 07-19-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting, sounds like good record keeping skills are a must!

What happens if a team folds? And wouldn't a new owner be at a pretty big disadvantage (making the retiring owner tough to replace)?

I've always felt one of the nice things about the auction draft is that every season you have a clean shot at every player in the NFL...if you want him bad enough. I'm thinking about a keeper feature just to add a little more strategy, but I don't want to overweight it in that direction. I'm afraid it would discourage participation if a couple of dynasties emerge, and make it tougher to come up with the one or two replacement owners I seem to need to find each year.
Old 07-19-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Never had a problem with folding - we have very stable ownership (there's a big overlap in ownership in the 2 leagues I'm in).

But I did require a $50 entry fee (chump change) that serves as a kind of deposit and is conveniently held in my bank account gaining interest. If you leave the league, you forfeit that $50.

If you're that worried about it, make it something more substantial. If the team is that shitty, then let whomever inherits into the league with no deposit or a reduced deposit.

That's one thing I like about the auction format too - if you really want a guy, you can get him. Unlike a draft league where your at the mercy of the random order draw. But my other league is more traditional and I like the differences.

As for dynasties, in the eight years of this league, one guy did win 3 straight times (in fact, he won the first 3 years), but overall, we've had 5 different champs (in a 10-team league). Dynasties are still tough - you can always have one bad week in the playoffs.

As for record-keeping, yes. I have to do a lot of it offline in an excel file. But except for inputting all the new players in September, it's only about a half-hour of my time each week.
Old 07-19-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So speaking of drafting, is RGIII going to be the Cam Newton or Akili Smith of 2012?
Old 07-20-12, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
So speaking of drafting, is RGIII going to be the Cam Newton or Akili Smith of 2012?
Somewhere in the middle but likely closer to Cam. . Obviously no one expects him to match those historic numbers, but he'll make a lot of rosters just because people won't want to get burned again. I'm using a keeper slot on Cam and hoping he can at least get in the ballpark of last year.
Old 07-20-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I think we know. The Redskins aren't that lucky.

Think about it like this....what's more likely: a Redskins/Snyder gamble pays off or the Redskins are a laughing stock.
Old 07-20-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 911 Likes on 711 Posts

I don't think you can draft RG3 (or Luck) as your QB1 with any kind of confidence, despite what Newton did last year. I mean, Cam at least had a great WR and two good RBs in that offense; who's the Redskins #1 WR, Garcon?

He's probably worth a gamble for a QB2 spot, but because of Cam's success last year he'll probably be overvalued by at least one or two people in whatever draft you're in.
Old 07-20-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

It's funny because in my 2 leagues, there's one other guy who's a Redskins fan besides me. But he's an optimist and I'm a realist when it comes to the Skins. So he invariably scoops up most of the Skins players, particularly in my auction league. I have little doubt he'll end up with RGIII in both leagues.
Old 07-30-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This year we are going to begin a keeper league with ESPN. What's the recommended number of keepers I should pick?

also, the settings page mentions for 2012 keepers, "if yes is selected, the League Manager will be able to add a number of players to each team and mark them as keepers before the draft."

What does that mean? I was under the impression that you pick your keepers AFTER the draft. This sounds like I'm supposed to assign keeper players before we pick....players. Should I just look at our 2011 draft results, and then let everyone pick 3 keepers? I may have a new team this year. It sounds like they would be allowed to select 3 keepers in the first 3 rounds.

any feedback is appreciated. This is a little confusing.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-30-12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
This year we are going to begin a keeper league with ESPN. What's the recommended number of keepers I should pick?

also, the settings page mentions for 2012 keepers, "if yes is selected, the League Manager will be able to add a number of players to each team and mark them as keepers before the draft."

What does that mean? I was under the impression that you pick your keepers AFTER the draft. This sounds like I'm supposed to assign keeper players before we pick....players. Should I just look at our 2011 draft results, and then let everyone pick 3 keepers? I may have a new team this year. It sounds like they would be allowed to select 3 keepers in the first 3 rounds.

any feedback is appreciated. This is a little confusing.
Never used ESPN before, but it sounds like if this is a returning league, then they can assign 3 keepers to each team from their team last season. If this is a new league w/ keepers, then it's a normal draft and before you draft next season, then you will choose your keepers.
Old 07-31-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by U6C84 View Post
Never used ESPN before, but it sounds like if this is a returning league, then they can assign 3 keepers to each team from their team last season. If this is a new league w/ keepers, then it's a normal draft and before you draft next season, then you will choose your keepers.
I think we are going to start a brand new league. But even in that scenario, it said the LM would add players as keepers before the draft. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. I expected to just have the first 3 rounds be used as "keeper rounds" or, after everyone drafts, they pick their own keepers. This is what I'm seeing on my league setup screen for keepers:

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-31-12 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 134 Posts

I think we are going to start a brand new league. But even in that scenario, it said the LM would add players as keepers before the draft. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. I expected to just have the first 3 rounds be used as "keeper rounds" or, after everyone drafts, they pick their own keepers. This is what I'm seeing on my league setup screen for keepers:

It doesn't make sense to have keepers for a league that is new. Who do you keep? The idea is that for every subsequent year, each team can keep a certain number of players at some cost (loss of a draft pick) or in the simplest format, just keeps a certain number of players, period. For year 1, there would be no keepers.
Old 07-31-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts

Yeah, makes no sense to have keepers in the league's first year. Need to establish the keeper rules before people draft, obviously. In our league, we can keep players for up to two years, which is making me consider drafting Ryan Matthews instead of MJD, but I'll probably stick with the established guy even if he might start showing the mileage.
Old 07-31-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my league has a max of 2 keepers, and no limit on how many years, but each year they count for a draft pick 2 rounds higher than the year before. So, draft a guy in the 10th round in year one and want to keep him the next year, he's an 8th rd draft pick. the year after that, 6th, and so on. One bastard drafted Aaron Rodgers very late in the first year after Favre left, and he's got him locked up for years.
Old 07-31-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 147 Likes on 121 Posts

I'll say it now: Cam 2012 won't be Cam 2011 -- not even close.
Old 07-31-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
my league has a max of 2 keepers, and no limit on how many years, but each year they count for a draft pick 2 rounds higher than the year before. So, draft a guy in the 10th round in year one and want to keep him the next year, he's an 8th rd draft pick. the year after that, 6th, and so on. One bastard drafted Aaron Rodgers very late in the first year after Favre left, and he's got him locked up for years.
The limited keeper league I'm in is 0-3 keepers allowed with a 3-round draft 'penalty.'
Old 07-31-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So why does ESPN offer 2012 keepers if the league is "brand new"?

I assumed after our draft, everyone assigns keepers to 3 of their players on the 2012 roster. Then they carry over to 2013, where you can make changes?

it appears the other option is I can activate my league from last year, then we all go in and assign 3 keepers to the current roster.
Old 07-31-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So why does ESPN offer 2012 keepers if the league is "brand new"?

I assumed after our draft, everyone assigns keepers to 3 of their players on the 2012 roster. Then they carry over to 2013, where you can make changes?

it appears the other option is I can activate my league from last year, then we all go in and assign 3 keepers to the current roster.
I suppose if you know that you're setting up a keeper league, might as well designate as such from day 1?

But it'd be pretty strange to pick your keepers for 2013 before the 2012 season.
Old 07-31-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'll say it now: Cam 2012 won't be Cam 2011 -- not even close.
I know right! He'll be better!
Old 07-31-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4 keepers from the following. PPR, 6 pts for any TD, no penalty in rounds, start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr

Arian Foster
Fred Jackson
Michael Turner
Greg Jennings
Andre Johnson
Michael Stafford

Leaning towards Stafford, Foster, Johnson and Jennings. Jackson was very good last season and made me put Turner on the bench most of the time while healthy. Johnson is an injury risk I know but when healthy is a top 5 WR. Turner is expected to have a decreased workload this coming season. Jennings wont be around at my pick and he plays for one of the top throwing QB in the league. WR depth seems decent this season so maybe keeping 2 backs would be best but losing either Johnson or Jennings could be huge. Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Axeramm View Post
4 keepers from the following. PPR, 6 pts for any TD, no penalty in rounds, start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr

Arian Foster
Fred Jackson
Michael Turner
Greg Jennings
Andre Johnson
Michael Stafford

Leaning towards Stafford, Foster, Johnson and Jennings. Jackson was very good last season and made me put Turner on the bench most of the time while healthy. Johnson is an injury risk I know but when healthy is a top 5 WR. Turner is expected to have a decreased workload this coming season. Jennings wont be around at my pick and he plays for one of the top throwing QB in the league. WR depth seems decent this season so maybe keeping 2 backs would be best but losing either Johnson or Jennings could be huge. Any thoughts?
I think I would go Jackson over Jennings. I just value RB's more than the WR's, since it's much harder to find a strong RB than a WR, especially in PPR.
Old 08-01-12, 07:46 AM

Just ranked my top 30 players or so, hoping to repeat! I'm not sold on Mathews so high as I have seen him, and I'd be ecstatic to get McFadden in the second round. My league with 12 teams is changing from 4 to 6 team playoff, I was the only one against it. Cowards!

I see Cam having a good year, but not monster numbers like last year.
Old 08-01-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sharkstank View Post
Just ranked my top 30 players or so, hoping to repeat! I'm not sold on Mathews so high as I have seen him, and I'd be ecstatic to get McFadden in the second round. My league with 12 teams is changing from 4 to 6 team playoff, I was the only one against it. Cowards!

I see Cam having a good year, but not monster numbers like last year.
Mathews is very talented and one of the better receiving backs, which is huge in PPR leagues. But he is injury prone. The good news is Mike Vulture Tolbert is finally gone, so Mathews may see more looks inside the red zone. I don't foresee Brown or McClain taking too many carries. IF, and that's a big IF, Mathews can play all 16 games, he should have a monster year.
Old 08-01-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Frankly, I'm not nearly as big on RBs as I used to be, and in PPR, receivers become even more valuable.

Hell, I got to a title game in one my leagues (non PPR no less) last year where Jahvid Best was my #1 RB. I basically rode Brees and 3 very good WRs through the season.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.