Reload this Page >

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Old 05-09-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

I like watching if its a super card or a nobody card. But there we more free opportunities to watch with the Fox deal. Every time I see a fight card pic on their Facebook, there is that damn ESPN+ logo.
Old 05-09-19, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get it, but it's really not more expensive than it was. the cost for a ppv through epsn is $5 less than what it was if you were ordering it the traditional way, which could just be put towards the $5 epsn+ subscription and then you're back to spending what you were before and you have access to all the fights.
Old 05-09-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Meanwhile

ESPN+ train wreck leaves UFC 236 short of 100k PPV buys

I think most mixed martial arts (MMA) fans expected the UFC 236 pay-per-view (PPV) event to skew low, now that Dana White and Co. have transferred the entire business to ESPN+, but coming in at less than 100,000 buys is a complete disaster.

Last edited by stingermck; 05-09-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

BJ Penn said in an interview that he's going to be back on top and win the title again. Things are getting sad for him.
Old 05-10-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I absolutely love the announced fight of Tony Ferguson vs Cowboy Cerrone. It's as 50/50 a fight as I can come up with. Both are great strikers and lethal submission grapplers. That being said, I hate that it's been added to the June 8th PPV. Cowboy literally fought 6 days ago, and a full 25 minutes no less. I don't like the idea of him jumping in against an elite opponent barely a month after his last fight.
Given that really quick turnaround, I give Ferguson the edge.
Old 05-11-19, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the fight too, but Ferguson shouldn't be fighting anyone but Khabib. I know there are extenuating circumstances, but no one with 11 straight UFC wins should be fighting anyone but the champ.
Old 05-17-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rose loss was gnarly. I thought maybe she snapped her neck.
Silva needs to retire. Dudes bones are not going to take much more from stronger fighters. Not sure how doctors cleared him to fight with that injury.
BJ Penn. Sad that any promotion is letting this guy fight. 7th straight loss. Happy for Clay though. But what kind of win was it.....
Old 05-19-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sage Northcutt got KTFO! Had to have surgery for 8 fractures. I don't think this sport is for him.
Old 05-23-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Sage Northcutt got KTFO! Had to have surgery for 8 fractures. I don't think this sport is for him.
One FC is going to continue to treat UFC guys like UFC guys treated PrideFC guys. Their weight cutting rules are excellent.
Old 06-01-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alexander Gustafsson just retired after losing to Anthony Smith.
Old 06-01-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Should have retired after the 2nd Jones loss. Saw this result coming a mile away.

How about that headkick KO by Alexsandar Rakic? Contender for KO of the year. Brutal.
Old 06-05-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking forward to the card this weekend. Shevchenko vs Eye in the co-main will likely be an absolute snoozer though.

Moraes/Cejudo: I think Marlon Moraes will be the new bantamweight champ. He's in his prime and very well rounded. He's a BJJ blackbelt who can submit anyone, as evidenced in his last fight when he subbed a decorated blackbelt in Assuncao. He's also got power in both hands and uses his knees and kicks as well as anyone. He's a former champ in his prior organization, so no concern about it being a 5 rounder as he's shown he can go 5 rounds. I think Moraes will eventually catch Cejudo and finish him.
Shevchenko/Eye: See above. I may even skip this
Cowboy/Ferguson: Without question the fight I'm most looking forward to. I can't think of many matchups I'd rather see in all of MMA. The only issue is that it's a 3 round fight. This definitely deserves to be a 5 rounder. Anyway, I have Ferguson by the slimmest of margins. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Cowboy win, he seems like a new man after becoming a dad and determined to win the belt. Ferguson's pressure and durability I think will eventually break Cerrone. Won't be mad if I'm wrong though, will be psyched for either guy winning and super bummed for the loser.
Yan/Rivera: If you're a casual fan, keep on eye on Petr Yan. He's the truth and likely a future bantamweight champ. Only 25 years old but he was a champ in his prior org, he's relentless and hits with alot of power. Not just a brawler though, very technical boxer. I don't think Rivera, at this stage of his career, has anything for him. Yan by TKO

Two other fights worth discussing: Kattar/Lamas: Kattar is a good boxer who should be able to outpoint Lamas. Lamas is still dangerous and a former title challenger, but his best days are behind him. Munhoz/Sterling: The winner of this will likely fight the winner of Cejudo/Moraes. I really really hope Munhoz wins, as he's an exciting action fighter (both on the ground and standing) while Sterling is a grinding wrestler who point fights his way to victories. He's good at it, I'll give him that.
Old 06-08-19, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Marlon Moraes
Valentina Shevchenko
Donald Cerrone
Jimmie Rivera
Pedro Munhoz

Its a damn shame Cerrone/Ferguson is 3 instead of 5. I think were getting Cerrone 2.0. He's looked amazing his last 3 fights, but especially the Iaquinta fight. While Ferguson on the other hand is obviously battling mental illness. I think Cerrone puts it all together and wins 30-27.
Old 06-09-19, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Hell of a fight card. Those last 3 fights were off the charts.
Old 06-09-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats to Cejudo, I did not think he'd win especially after thoroughly losing the first round...but I'm pissed off about his post-fight comments that he wants to face Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber, and Cody Garbrandt...none of whom deserve title shots. Why is it that as soon as someone becomes champ they look for easy/money fights? Bisping fighting Hendo, Woodley begging for GSP or Conor, Khabib also wants GSP or boxing matches, DC waiting for Brock...I'm so sick of this shit. Fight the worthy #1 contender. At least that's one thing I can appreciate about Jon Jones or Max Holloway. They fight the guys in their own division that deserve a title shot. If you clean out your division and there's no worthy title contenders at the moment, that's when it's reasonable to ask for the money fight. That'll gain you far more respect and accolades than beating past their prime names like Cruz and Faber. Garbrandt was a really weird callout. You want to fight a guy who's lost by TKO 3 straight times?

Last edited by Osiris3657; 06-09-19 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dominick Cruz is only 33 and has only lost twice, he's probably still a Top 3 fighter. He just hasn't fought in 3 years. I hope Sterling gets the next title shot. There really isn't anyone else deserving. But with Dana White confirming that Flyweight is gonna stay in the UFC because of Cejudo, I imagine his next fight will be rematching Benavidez if he beats Formiga.
Old 06-10-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, if you're inactive for multiple years, even if it's due to injury, you don't deserve to keep a high ranking and jump ahead of guys who've worked their way up the ladder. At the very least, Cruz should have to first beat a top 5 opponent before getting a shot at the belt again.

Yes, Sterling should get the next shot at the BW belt, but Petr Yan is also deserving. Cory Sandhagen, currently #8, is fighting Assuncao (#2) in August. If he wins that fight, he'll be deserving. 3 fighters who aren't in the official rankings yet, but are blue chip prospects: Nathaniel Wood, Yadong Song, and Manny Bermudez. The BW division is stacked with worthy fighters.
Old 06-10-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, what I'm saying is, skill wise, he's probably still a top 3 fighter. You said he was past his prime. Unless he's completely fallen off in 3 years, I think he still beats most guys in the top 10.
Old 06-23-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was really happy Korean Zombie got the win, and a very fast win after that war with Yair Rodriguez late last year. Beating the #5, I hope he gets a fight with either Ortega or Zabit next.
Old 06-26-19, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BJ Penn is completely lost without fighting. He obviously can't find purpose in life. Things are going to end bad for him.

Old 06-30-19, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That Ngannou/Dos Santos stoppage may have been a wee bit premature, then again Ngannou probably would have killed him if the ref gave JDS the proper time to recover.

Benavidez looked like a beast tonight. Cejudo's next fight better be against JB, he's been fucked over time and time again. He's been owed a title shot for a few years now.
Old 07-01-19, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was a fantastic card, despite the lack of name value.
Old 07-01-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My thoughts on this weekend's PPV

Santos/Jones: Really really really hope Santos doesn't get lulled into Jones' game and is afraid to pull the trigger. He's got no shot if he tries to out technique Jones, but if he maintains his aggressive style he's got a puncher's chance. He's got serious power. Still, it would be silly to pick against Jones. Jones by TKO.
Nunes/Holm: I'd be pretty bummed if Holm wins. I'm not a fan of her point fighting and frankly undeserved title shots. Nunes hopefully maintains her aggressive pace, because if she tries to point fight with Holly I could see her losing a decision. I'll say Nunes by TKO.
Asken/Masvidal: Masvidal has good submission defense, but not good takedown defense. That's all Askren needs to win. Askren by decision.
Rockhold/Blachowicz: LHW debut for Rockhold, should be interesting. He's certainly the more talented of the two, and I firmly believe cutting less weightcutting helps your chin (less dehydrated, brain has more fluids to protect it). I'll say Rockhold by TKO
Chiesa/Sanchez: I like Sanchez's chances against a pure grappler like Chiesa. Diego has never been subbed. Diego by decision.

Prelims: Arnold Allen is one of the best featherweight prospects and is facing a well past his prime Melendez. Allen by decision. Keep an eye out for Yadong Song, who's considered an excellent bantamweight prospect. Super young (think he's 21 or 22) and has looked good in his first couple UFC fights. He's facing a solid fighter in Perez, could be FOTN.
Old 07-06-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jones
Nunes
Askren
Rockhold
Chiesa

I picked Nunes, but I could easily see Holm get the decision. I hope Jones gets KO'd, but theres just no chance that happens. I assume Askren wins then gets the title shot. The idea of Usman vs Askren actually has me pretty stoked. I feel like the general consensus is that it would be a snoozefest, but I really wanna see it.
Old 07-07-19, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope Santos gets an immediate rematch. Personally I thought he won 1,2,5. One judge thought he beat Jones. On one damn leg. And its not like there is another contender out there for Jones right now.

That Masvidal KO was fucking INSANE.

Great card all around.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.