DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Jones made that look easy.
Old 12-30-18, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Jones made that look easy.
He was helped by the fact that Gus didn't show up whatsoever. If Gus looked any worse he'd be Chuck Liddell.

Fuck Lesnar, I want DC/Jones 3. At HW. Because if they fight at LHW why the fuck did Cormier have to vacate the belt.
Old 12-30-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

-Jones/Gus: well, the end result was predictable. Still disappointing though
-Cyborg/Nunes: holy shit, what a war that was for 51 seconds. Best women's fight ever, certainly most exciting. Major respect to Nunes, that was stunning. I'd love to see an immediate rematch, you'd have to think it would be more competitive now that Cyborg knows she can't just carelessly move forward swinging for the fences
-Condit/Chiesa: Goddamnit. Just goddamnit. Sigh.
-Volkanovski/Mendes: Awesome fight, Volkanovski has announced his arrival. Would love to see how Holloway handles a wrestler like him

Other comments: Petr Yan is legit as they come. I love that he called out Lineker after his win, NOBODY asks for Lineker. Ballsy. Could definitely see him as future BW champ. Nathaniel Wood looks like a future Top 10 guy too.
Old 12-31-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still think Jones aint worth a shit. He'll fuck up again. Make an excuse for it.
Nunes is bad ass but seeing her and lot of people calling her the GOAT is a bit much.
Carlos, my man...what happened!!?? I was bummed about that one.
Old 01-06-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

UFC235 in March has its main and co-main: Jon Jones vs Anthony Smith and Tyron Woodley vs Karamu Usman.

Almost everyone is shitting on Smith, calling it Jones' easiest title defense ever...but I like Smith, and will be rooting for him. At the very least, he's Jones' size at 6'4" and he is fearless and not going to be intimidated. Yes, he will probably lose, but he'll die trying. Smith is a finisher, so the fight will be exciting however long (or short...) it ends up being.

Usman could definitely beat Woodley...he's essentially the same type of fighter (strong wrestler with powerful hands) but even bigger than Woodley. I don't recall Woodley having faced a guy like himself before (at least not during his title reign), so it'll be interesting. The fight could definitely end up being uneventful, as both guys are known to put on boring decisions where they just just spam takedowns and smother guys for entire fights.
Old 01-15-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jones is the new Mighty Mouse. Big fish in a small pond fighting a bunch of guys that aren't worthy. Reyes, Smith, Cirkunov, Oezdemir. Theres nothing for Jones at LHW.
Old 01-15-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So what is the deal with ESPN and UFC coverage? It seems for now at least there is a lot less of it compared to FOX. No weekly show, no post-fight show, etc. Is there supposed to be more coming?
Old 01-16-19, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They haven't even done their first event with the UFC yet...
Old 01-17-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nosebleed View Post
They haven't even done their first event with the UFC yet...
Right, but looking ahead at the next two weeks of program guide (which spans an event) there is basically nothing save for the preliminaries broadcast. It's not like they didn't know the UFC was coming. either they are woefully unprepared or they don't plan on doing much with the property.
Old 01-18-19, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ariel has his own show, he does one with Chael, he crosses over to their other non-MMA shows to talk about the UFC, it's getting more coverage on the other ESPN shows, there's a countdown style show leading up to the event.
Old 01-18-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be shocked if Cejudo makes it more than two rounds with Dillashaw.
Old 01-18-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nosebleed View Post
Ariel has his own show, he does one with Chael, he crosses over to their other non-MMA shows to talk about the UFC, it's getting more coverage on the other ESPN shows, there's a countdown style show leading up to the event.
I forgot about Ariel. I thought he was persona non grata in the UFC? I'll have to look for his show.

I haven't watched ESPN in many years other than live events so I don't see the cross-over coverage on studio type shows. But I was looking for something more UFC-specific, similar to FS1's UFC Tonight and post-fight recap shows.

Not to mention this is a nice get for ESPN, so you'd think they'd want to make a big deal about it and it seems to have gone by pretty understated. Meaning, I didn't see much if any promo during college bowl games and such that I did watch.
Old 01-18-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Same here. This will be the first UFC Event I will have watched in over 2 years. Sad how far this sport has fallen. IMHO.

Old 01-19-19, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After seeing Dillashaw look like Skeletor at the weigh ins. I'm not so sure .
Old 01-20-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well that was a surprise. Good for Henry I guess.
Old 01-20-19, 11:45 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

There are a lot of guys who have legitimate gripes abou a ref stopping the fight early that whined less than Dillashaw did last night.
Old 01-22-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

God I hope its not an immediate rematch. Cejudo vs Benavidez 2 and Dillashaw vs Assuncao/Moraes winner NEEDS to happen. I'm so sick of super fights that aren't really superfights.

Also Gregor Gillespie is the real deal. 15 minutes of absolute domination. I hope he goes far. He reminds me of Mike Pierce actually.
Old 01-23-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really liking these main events that have recently been announced.

Darren Till vs Jorge Masvidal (March 16th)
This could be a barn-burner or really boring, as both guys have been known to just coast and point fight. Hopefully the aggressive versions of both guys show up.

Stephen Thompson vs Anthony Pettis (March 23rd)
I'd be shocked if Wonderboy doesn't win this easily. Pettis' first fight at 170. It should be a fun fight though.

Gaethje vs Barboza (March 30th)
Hell yes. I got Gaethje by TKO. His style is Barboza's weakness: pressure fighters who are constantly in your face.

Paulo Costa vs Yoel Romero (April 27th)
Oh lord, I really hope this fight happens. It will be pure violence.
Old 01-26-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Gaethje vs Barboza (March 30th)
Hell yes. I got Gaethje by TKO. His style is Barboza's weakness: pressure fighters who are constantly in your face.
I don't know I think thats what Dan Hooker tried to do, and Barboza weathered it. I think Barboza wins in similar fashion. Great fight though.

I'm stoked for Bader/Fedor tonight. I think Bader wins pretty easily, but I'd love to see one final stand by the Last Emperor.
Old 01-26-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit, Bader just knocked out Fador with 1 punch at the start of round one. Wow.
Old 01-27-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah. I get that Fedor is well past his prime, but Ryan Bader has looked amazing the last couple years. He's improved so much since leaving the UFC. I sincerely believe he's the second best LHW on the planet. I'd love to see him fight Bones again. I think it would be a different fight. I wonder if he'll try avenging the Machida and Ortiz fights in Bellator.

Aaron Pico is 6 fights in, I'm not sure if its too early to make this call, but that chin has been cracked a couple times already.

Jake "Jack Swagger" Hager looked really good, even if he was fighting a tomato can fighter. I was impressed by his debut. It took him 2 minutes to do what CM Punk couldn't in 5 years. If he can get some good wins in Bellator, I think he could go back to wrestling and be a top guy.
Old 01-27-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nah, Hooker thought he could win a kickboxing match (horrible thought, but somewhat understandable given his successful kickboxing background) and stayed at distance and exchanged kicks with Barboza. Gaethje's style is to get close to an opponent and overwhelm them with pressure, mixing in lower leg kicks in between boxing combinations.
Old 01-27-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jake "Jack Swagger" Hager looked really good, even if he was fighting a tomato can fighter. I was impressed by his debut. It took him 2 minutes to do what CM Punk couldn't in 5 years. If he can get some good wins in Bellator, I think he could go back to wrestling and be a top guy.
What surprised me was just how big he really is. During the post-fight he made "Big" John McCarthy look like "Average" John McCarthy.
Old 02-03-19, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Marlon Moraes has 100% earned his Bantamweight title shot. Joseph Benavidez has 100% earned another Flyweight title shot. So I assume, we'll get a Cejudo/Dillashaw rematch.
Old 02-05-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some good fights on that Brazilian card last weekend.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.