The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Old 01-03-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
ETA: not sure why there is such a large gap. But I will add that the Bears fired their GM Jerry Angelo

Because your picture is 1600 x 1236px, ya chowderhead.
Old 01-03-12, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh. "Turner, Smith to return"

San Diego Chargers Chairman of the Board & President Dean Spanos today officially ended speculation and confirmed that General Manager A.J. Smith and Head Coach Norv Turner will return in 2012.

“Bottom line, I believe these two men give us the best chance to get back to the playoffs,” Spanos said. “A.J. Smith is the best man to improve our roster, and Norv Turner is the best man to lead that roster on the field.
Old 01-03-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm torn on whether to fire Andy Reid but leaning toward doing it.

On one hand, Andy brings stability and at least some modicum of success on the field year in and year out. On the other hand, it's been 12 years and no title which to me has to be unacceptable in the NFL. Too bad we signed that dog-killing weasel for the long term.
Vick can be released after 2012 with a minimal cap hit. Though if you wanted to get rid of the, um... "dog killing weasel", who do you replace him with? Realistically, not "OMG we'll trade for Brady!".

As for Reid. I find it hilarious that many of the same Eagles fans who say "WE NEED TO FIRE REID BECAUSE HE HASN'T WON IN 13 SEASONS!" want them to hire Bill Cowher, who didn't win the title til his 14th season, and went 6-10 in his 12th. I'll give him another season or two. And, again: Who, out there, of the realistic candidates, do you think would be better than Reid?
Old 01-03-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by anxi80 View Post
fuck, i guess it's Spanos master plan to have the team move to LA after the 2012 season. I hope the fans will be on strike and don't buy anymore tickets in 2012, and have all their home games be blackout.
Old 01-03-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Someone wrote on Twitter that Lurie is going to walk into the press conference, "Everyone in Philadelphia is going to have to deal with Andy another year!" And then he clears his throat while laughing, "Time is yours!"

And Joe Banner is in the backround counting money.
Oh, not the "Lurie just cares about money" crap again. I thought last offseason would've finally killed that. Guess not.
Old 01-03-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jeff Lurie announces Andy Reid will return.

Last edited by CRM114; 01-03-12 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Vick can be released after 2012 with a minimal cap hit. Though if you wanted to get rid of the, um... "dog killing weasel", who do you replace him with? Realistically, not "OMG we'll trade for Brady!".
I would have been happy sticking with Kevin Kolb and looking for the next guy. The next guy certainly should not have been Michael Vick and not only because he's a dog-killing weasel. Because he's the same QB he was in Atlanta and I didn't care for him then. He has become a bit better passer.

As for Reid. I find it hilarious that many of the same Eagles fans who say "WE NEED TO FIRE REID BECAUSE HE HASN'T WON IN 13 SEASONS!" want them to hire Bill Cowher, who didn't win the title til his 14th season, and went 6-10 in his 12th. I'll give him another season or two. And, again: Who, out there, of the realistic candidates, do you think would be better than Reid?
Don't lump me in with this mythical Eagle fan you perceive wherever you live because I clearly stated I was torn. But the facts are that in the NFL, you don't go 13 years without winning a Super Bowl or getting fired (and pointing to Pittsburgh as some sort of "see, if you just wait 14 years, you'll get a Super Bowl" is pretty silly).

Another lame argument is "well, golly, who else is there?" is equally silly. Jeff Lurie picked Andy Reid off the Holmgren coaching tree. Believe it or not, there are young coaches out there waiting to succeed.
Old 01-03-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

After seeing Kolb play in Arizona, I too would have been happy with the Eagles sticking with Kolb, trading dog's best friend, and looking for the next guy.
Old 01-03-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We'll be looking for the next guy eventually and Vick is not going to win a Super Bowl so why not start now.
Old 01-03-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by anxi80 View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo..............................
Old 01-03-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who's to say they won't start now? Use one of the second rounders and let him sit for a couple of years under Vick before starting. But this team's best chance to win now is Vick.
Old 01-03-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Who's to say they won't start now? Use one of the second rounders and let him sit for a couple of years under Vick before starting. But this team's best chance to win now is Vick.
Particularly given the shitty state of the division now.
Old 01-03-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought that this season would be the one that would finally get Turner or Reid out, but I guess they will be around to have a slightly different version of the very same season for years to come!

Poor Chargers fans.
Old 01-03-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought Reid would have gotten axed after the strong end to the season. Turner on the other hand should have gotten canned after this year. They have nothing on Jeff Fisher though--ten seasons of 8 wins or less.

Fisher probably won't coach in Miami as they have a strong media that would call him out on his stupid shit on a weekly basis. They also don't really have a good or stable qb situation. He probably goes to the Rams but I wouldn't count out TB as a possible alternative.
Old 01-03-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

“Bottom line, I believe these two men give us the best chance to get back to the playoffs,” Spanos said. “A.J. Smith is the best man to improve our roster, and Norv Turner is the best man to lead that roster on the field.
Not "of winning a Super Bowl", but "getting back to the playoffs."
Old 01-03-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As evidenced by his stellar 11-12 campaign.

Jeffrie Lurie's press conference was nonsensical. He said he's not scared to fire his head coach because he's a "risk taker." Or that for every bad season Andy had, he went to the NFL title game the following year. I guess as long as Lurie gets his home playoff games, he's happy.

Last edited by CRM114; 01-03-12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't want Cowher or Gruden, because NOBODY in the history of the NFL has ever won a SB for two different teams. I would go with a young coordinator out there, now I haven't really focused on coordinators, as they get talked about alot more during the playoffs.

There is no guarantee that anyone you hire will be successful, every new or recycled coach is a roll of the dice. The Dolphins hired Jimmy Johnson in 1996 (Who turned around the Cowboys) and they didn't win shit. The Broncos fired Dan Reeves who went to 3 SB's in the 1980's and hired Wade Phillips, who was fired after 2 years, then hired Shanahan who won them 2 SB's. Belichik failed in Cleveland as a Head Coach, but is now a genius in New England. There is no science to hiring a Head Coach.

Again, the Eagles could fire Reid and it could blow up in our face, or they could hire the next great coordinator out there who could take them to the promise land. I'm willing to roll the dice. Its been 13 years of Reid, and no SB parades, its simply time for a change.
Old 01-03-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, the Eagles could fire Reid and it could blow up in our face, or they could hire the next great coordinator out there who could take them to the promise land. I'm willing to roll the dice. Its been 13 years of Reid, and no SB parades, its simply time for a change.
It sounds like what the Titans went through last year with Fisher. I think Reid is burned out and probably needs some time off. On the Vick front, if they draft a qb early, I'd expect that qb to see some time in year one as Vick has missed games the last two years due to injury. Jim Washburn will be gone from the staff as he had problems there and he'll just rejoin Fisher whenever Fisher lands a job this year.
Old 01-03-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Can one imagine how fat Reid would get if he didn't have a job to go to everyday? Maybe that's why Lurie is keeping him around.
Old 01-03-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well just got banned on the official Chargers website forum for calling Dean Spanos "Lucky Sperm." Thank goodness for the 1st Amendment protection afforded by DVDTalk. Lucky Sperm Lucky Sperm Lucky Sp...
Old 01-03-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 323 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't want Cowher or Gruden, because NOBODY in the history of the NFL has ever won a SB for two different teams.
That's funny, I had always thought that Shula had won one as the head coach of the Baltimore Colts. Turns out they won in 1970, the year after he left. So it's more like Tony Dungey's situation. But he could have won one with both teams, just as Dungey, Dick Vermeil, Mike Holmgren or Bill Parcells could have won one in two places. There's a lot of luck involved in winning a Super Bowl -- the fact that nobody's won in two different places doesn't really mean much. Remember, it's rare that a team capable of winning a Superbowl in the near future even needs to hire an established head coach -- usually the vacancies open up when the team has been struggling.

Speaking of hiring new coaches : Don't you agree that it's time for the Rooney Rule to go? I was a supporter of the time it came out as there were far too few minority head coaches. That culture has totally changed now and I feel the rule is outdated. Furthermore, it's embarrassing when a quality assistant like Leslie Frasier, as a recent example, gets shuffled from one team to another for a cursory meeting before they hire the guy they wanted all along. Glad he got a HC job finally and glad there are several other African American head coaches now. I'm a Chiefs fan and fully expect and hope that they hire Romeo Crennel as their head coach, not because he's minority but because he's the right guy for the job. I think we should now be past the point where every team has to interview a candidate of color before hiring who they really want.

Last edited by Decker; 01-03-12 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, Don McCafferty was the head coach of the 1970 Colts.

Weeb Ewbank sort of did the 2-fer: he won 2 NFL (pre-SB) titles with the Colts in 1958-59 and then beat the Colts in SB III as the Jets head coach.
Old 01-03-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bears have fired Mike Martz
Old 01-03-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 323 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Poor Indy, even after their worst year in the Manning era, they still get stuck playing at New England the following year.
Old 01-03-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
The Bears have fired Mike Martz
worst kept secret in football.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.