Reload this Page >

Former NBA Player/Michigan Star Robert "Tractor" Traylor dies at age 34

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-11-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/29225722

Robert "Tractor" Traylor, the No. 6 overall pick in the 1998 NBA Draft, was reportedly found dead in Puerto Rico, where he was playing for the Bayamon Cowboys. He was 34 years old.

ElNuevoDia.com reported that Traylor was "found dead in his apartment in Isla Verde" and had "presumably died of a massive heart attack." PrimeraHora.com also reported that Traylor was found dead. SNY.tv reported that Traylor was "found dead of a heart attack in his apartment."

The Bayamon Cowboys confirmed the passing on their official Facebook page. The message read: "The center of the Bayamon Cowboys, Robert "Tractor" Traylor, was found dead in his apartment in Isla Verde. The game tonight between Mayaguez and the Cowboys was suspended ....."

ESPNDeportes.com reported that Traylor "had been missing for three days before friends went to visit him and found his body" and said that an official cause of death "has yet to be determined."

Cleveland.com reported that Traylor underwent "corrective heart surgery" in 2006 because of an "enlarged aortic valve."

Traylor, a McDonald's All-American heavyweight forward who attended the University of Michigan, played seven seasons in the NBA for the Milwaukee Bucks, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets. He is perhaps best known as the player who was traded for Dirk Nowitzki on draft night.

Traylor finished with career averages of 4.8 points and 3.7 rebounds in 14.3 minutes per game.

After his NBA career, Traylor played professional basketball in Turkey and Italy. He also made headlines in 2007 for pleading guilty to tax fraud charges in association with a drug dealer.
RIP. 34 is way too young.
Old 05-11-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Former NBA Player/Michigan Star Robert "Tractor" Traylor dies at age 34

Damn. I always liked him. I had a bunch of his rookie cards. Didn't know he was traded for Nowitzki.
Old 05-11-11, 01:15 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

coke + fat = MI
Old 05-11-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He's always had weight problems since his days at Michigan. Frankly, I'm amazed he lasted 7 seasons in the NBA. You would think that being overweight and having a heart problem that he would take better care of himself and see a cardiologist regularly since he was probably a time bomb ready to explode any day. Especially since he was still playing professional basketball as his career in Puerto Rico.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-11-11 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, no surprise considering his weight but RIP
Old 05-11-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sad.

It seems odd that he was "missing for 3 days" but then found at his apt. Does that just mean nobody realized he was missing until the 3rd day?
Old 05-11-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Either that or no one was smart enough to look in his apt for 3 days after he went missing.
Old 05-11-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved Tractor when he was at Michigan (well, until it was revealed he was rolling around campus in a $55,000 SUV). I was at the game where he shattered a backboard, and I'll never forget his game-winning dunk at Duke that snapped their ridiculously long non-conference home winning streak. The summer he got drafted into the NBA, I was at a game at Tiger Stadium and he was there just chilling out in the cheap seats in the outfield (no idea how he fit into those outfield box seats, my knees used to be almost in my chest and I'm 6'3") - he did nothing but shake hands and sign autographs for the first 4-5 innings and never seemed angry about it or inconvenienced. He smiled and had long conversations with every person that approached him.

Old 05-11-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

RIP. 34 is way too young.
Jeez, he was born the same year as me.