Reload this Page >

Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-20-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure it's a few days early, but this is the inevitable match-up.

Make your picks!

Mine: An absolute classic. Lots of offense. AROD and Howard both hit 4 HRS in the series. Cliff Lee goes 2-0 and wins the MVP as the Phillies win in 7 games.
Old 10-20-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts
re: Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

Ah, yes...I remember listening to a St. Louis based radio station in October of 1996. The Cardinals had just taken a 3 games to 1 lead over the Braves in the NLCS. All the callers on this particular night wanted to know how the Cards matched up with the Yankees in the World Series. I kept thinking, "You idiots! We're not there yet!" Alas, St. Louis never made it to the World Series that year.
Old 10-21-09, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those on the West Coast, at least the games will end at a decent hour.

Go Phillies!
Old 10-21-09, 01:40 AM

Hopefully this hexed this World Series matchup. I predict the west coast forgets about baseball if this happens.
Old 10-21-09, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont jinx my yankees
Old 10-21-09, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
Ah, yes...I remember listening to a St. Louis based radio station in October of 1996. The Cardinals had just taken a 3 games to 1 lead over the Braves in the NLCS. All the callers on this particular night wanted to know how the Cards matched up with the Yankees in the World Series. I kept thinking, "You idiots! We're not there yet!" Alas, St. Louis never made it to the World Series that year.
I agree that 'it aint over til its over', but the difference is that the Braves team that came back 3-1 had Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz pitching in Games 5,6, and 7. The Dodgers and Angels just don't have 3 studs that they can throw out in the last 3 games to overcome this deficit. I just think the Yankees and Phils lineups are too strong to be silenced for 3 games in a row.

Overall, if its a Yanks/Phils WS, what is the over/under on Homeruns hit? And what is the over/under on Freezing Temperatures at game time? Games #4,5,6,7 will be played in November because of that stupid World Baseball Classic delayed the start of the season. Another Smart move Mr. Selig!
Old 10-21-09, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember when the Yankees won 2 in a row at home and then marched into Fenway and embarrassed a good Red Sox team in game 3. The series was over. The Yankees were going to the World Series. The Curse of the Bambino was going to live on.

Yeah, let's not count chickens just yet.
Old 10-21-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

this isnt over.... hell Boston came back from 3-0 to win the whole thing..
Old 10-21-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a serious jinx.
Old 10-21-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What an idiot....talk about bad karma.
Old 10-21-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

Ron Bennington (Phillies fan) would stab you in the chest for offering a jinx up like this. You don't want the powers that be to even know the Phillies are in the postseason, let alone start acting like you won anything.
Old 10-21-09, 10:01 AM
Banned

Jumpcutz has become the Steve Bartman of DVDTalk.
Old 10-21-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 185 Posts

I cannot imagine a matchup I would detest more.
Old 10-21-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Pfft. The Dodgers are guaranteed to go to the World Series this year.
Old 10-21-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the Royals will definitely win this series. Zach Greinke going 3 times? The Mets have no chance.
Old 10-21-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
I think the Royals will definitely win this series. Zach Greinke going 3 times? The Mets have no chance.
Forget Zach Grienke. The Mets have no chance because they're the Mets. They could be playing the kids from Sandlot and they would still lose the series in 6 games.
Old 10-21-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I remember when the Yankees won 2 in a row at home and then marched into Fenway and embarrassed a good Red Sox team in game 3. The series was over. The Yankees were going to the World Series. The Curse of the Bambino was going to live on.

Yeah, let's not count chickens just yet.
Remember it? It was five years ago today.
Old 10-21-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Speaking of the Mets, Steve Phillips is as bad of a judge of talent in mistresses as he is talent in baseball players. He cheated on his wife with her:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...QJwJLU4ZDXvvDO

ESPN analyst Steve Phillips had a fling with a 22-year-old production assistant, who, after being dumped, taunted his wife with "Fatal Attraction"-like phone calls and a letter that bragged about her sexcapades with Phillips while taking pot shots at their "loveless marriage," The Post has learned.
Old 10-21-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Subject: Preparations for Spontaneous Phillies Fan Celebration
To: “Center City District PCAN, Law Enforcement”
Date: Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 5:26 PM

In light of the incidents that occurred after last year’s Phillies Championship win, the City is taking steps to insure that any spontaneous victory celebrations stay positive on Wednesday night (or whenever the Phillies clinch the National League pennant). The Philadelphia Police Department will be deploying additional officers in Center City around South Broad Street to establish a safe environment for fans, property owners and businesses alike.

Property owners and businesses are being asked to survey their properties including loading docks, garage entries and alleyways for any non-fixed or permanent items such as planters, valet or sale signs, unsecured or unlocked dumpsters, bike racks, etc. The Philadelphia Police are asking that those items be removed temporarily or secured from harm.

The City is removing the new solar trash cans and replacing them with wire mesh cans that will be chained to poles. Newspaper publishers are being asked to remove unsecured honor boxes (newspaper boxes) as an additional precaution. In addition, restaurants and bars have been asked to refrain from serving take-out beverages in glasses or glass bottles and to use plastic instead.

Lastly, parking restrictions will be in place on Wednesday evening, starting at 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM along South Broad Street from City Hall to Locust Street, from 13th to 15th Streets and on the cross streets in between. In addition, parking will be restricted on North Broad Street from City Hall to Poplar Streets.

Thank you for your cooperation. Go Phillies!
Old 10-21-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim View Post
Remember it? It was five years ago today.
I do. Bostondirtdogs reminded me of it yesterday. By the way, those guys give Red Sox fans a bad name with such quotes like this:

That Little Romp Over the Cardinals Was Just Icing on the Cake
Old 10-21-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

phew... thankfully the mod is on our side
Old 10-21-09, 03:41 PM
Admin

Received 347 Likes on 223 Posts
Re: Yankees VS Phillies Official WS Thread

I don't like this thread at all. Let both of the series end before you bring this kind of bad karma.
Old 10-21-09, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Speaking of the Mets, Steve Phillips is as bad of a judge of talent in mistresses as he is talent in baseball players. He cheated on his wife with her:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...QJwJLU4ZDXvvDO
That's a man!!!

There isn't any amount of alcohol that will make anyone, other than a Met, hit that.
Old 10-21-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve Phillips is the metrosexual type. I am suprised he would hit that.
Old 10-21-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

I loved the assessment of Steve Phillips on barstool sports:

Yikes! You’d think that somebody with so much experience in the affair game would know better than to fuck an ugly chick and make her feel special. I mean what did Steve Phillips think was going to happen here? Obviously this chick was going to go psycho when he broke up with her and start writing letters to his wife and facebooking his kids etc. Poor bitch probably hadn’t been laid in like 10 years before Phillips and his birth marked cock came rolling around. You just don’t stir the echos of an ugly chicks pussy like this and then expect her to go away quietly into the night. Pretty fucking sloppy work by Steve Phillips if you ask me.

PS – This is why you only have affairs with hot chicks. Because not only does it reduce the chance that they fall in love with you, but more importantly even if they go psycho you can still kind of rationalize it with the fact that hot pussy is hot pussy. I mean this isn’t even a scandal if Brooke is hot. You think ESPN suspends him? You think the NY Post does an article on it? No way. Just another celebrity fucking a hot bitch and nobody can hold that against you. But ugly chicks? Totally different ball game. I’m sure that’s why Phillip’s wife is finally leaving him too. She could take the first 39 affairs, but a woman can only be pushed so far. It’s like the First Lady always tells me, if I’m going to cheat at least make it be with a smokeshow so she can kind of understand it and can still look her friends in the eye. It’s just cheating common courtesy really. You’d think Steve Phillips would have known better.

Double PS – Did Steve Phillips really pull out the old ”I had a vasectamy trick” on this mutant? I would have been putting condom over condom over condom.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.