Fantasy All-Time Draft, Any Interest?

Old 05-05-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill take Indy, too.
Old 05-05-08, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the Dolphins pass on Montana because they got McCown, they might as well kill themselves to rid the earth of their stupidity.
Old 05-05-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Im picking either Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White with the first pick. Not because I think any of the worthless QB's the Dolphins have are any good, but because Miami is inept everywhere and I believe a strong defense is more important than a strong offense (ala the 80's when Miami had Marino and 0 championships).

So with that being said, Miami takes Lawrence Taylor with the 1st pick in the draft.
Old 05-05-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel like the Rams really need someone in the middle to build the Defense around. With Pace aging, I seriously considered Anthony Munoz here too. The Rams have tons of skill position guys. So, with the 2nd pick, the Rams select Dick Butkus, LB.
Old 05-05-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How many rounds will this be? That will likely determine who will be picked as some positions are deeper historically than others.
Old 05-05-08, 06:47 PM

Josh said he'd like to do three or so. Of course if interest is great enough it could go longer.
Old 05-05-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by missingtoof
Josh said he'd like to do three or so. Of course if interest is great enough it could go longer.
I think we can do at least three. I'll do it as long as the thread stays active.
Old 05-05-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't believe I'm going to get him, but with the 3rd pick in the Fantasy All-Time Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select ...

das
Old 05-05-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Can't believe I'm going to get him, but with the 3rd pick in the Fantasy All-Time Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select ...

das
Great pick.
Old 05-05-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting pick for the Raiders might be...Howie Long!!
Old 05-05-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
das: Very good pick, 'cause if he fell to 8, the Ravens would've snapped him up.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 05-05-08 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Interesting pick for the Raiders might be...Howie Long!!
I was thinking that Oakland really needs to shore-up their O-Line, then grab a DT and a DE in rounds 2/3 (best available). Munoz would've been an excellent fit for the Raiders at the #4 spot.
Old 05-06-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I seriously was considering Munoz as the very first pick, but since the Dolphins got Long, I figured it was useless at this point. If Long is half the tackle that Munoz was, then it was well worth the first pick in this year's draft.
Old 05-06-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can I nominate a pick for Oakland?

Offensive Tackle - Robert Gallery hasn't panned out like Oakland expected, and they don't have many decent options at left tackle on their entire roster. The Raiders used only one pick on a lineman, and it was a 6th, on a defensive end. They ignored the O-line in the draft, which many feel is the team's most glaring need. I would draft an OG or OT right now were I Oakland.

Wide Receiver - Oakland does not have a #1 WR, and you'd have to struggle to think of Ronald Curry (whose a good posession reciever and little else) as even a decent #2. They drafted Arman Shields (4th Round, Richmond) and Chaz Schilens (7th Round, San Diego State) but at most there's only one starting WR between them, and you need two to compete. If the OG/OT route doesn't tickle your fancy, take a WR here.

My top three picks for Oakland would be:
#1 - Bruce Matthews (OG)
#2 - Art Shell (OT)
#3 - Jerry Rice (WR)

Last edited by kenbuzz; 05-06-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oakland is torn. Russell needs playmakers, but he needs to stay upright to make anything happen. I'm at work, give me a few to think about it.
Old 05-06-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

After giving heavy consideration to Art Shell, Jerry Rice, Bruce Matthews, Jackie Slater and a host of others.....

With the 4th pick in the All-Time Draft, the Oakland Raiders select.............Art Shell, OT, University of Maryland Eastern Shore.

It just feels right, and fills a glaring hole.
Old 05-06-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, this is going slow.
Old 05-06-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Damn, this is going slow.
Lucky for us we still have about 4 months.
Old 05-06-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Art Shell - Great pick.

What the heck, I'm on a roll. Going into the draft, the Chiefs were needing help at QB, OT, G/C, WR, CB, and PK. They took Glenn Dorsey in Round 1, and while it was an excellent pick, it didn't directly address a glaring need. Even NFL.com had KC's DL "need" ranked 4th (behind QB, WR, and OL). They took an instant starter in OG Branden Albert (Virginia, 15th overall pick), and some insurance in Round 6 in the form of OT Barry Richardson (Clemson). Like Oakland, KC took a pair of lower-tier WRs in the draft, neither of whom look like the kind of player who will be a sure #1. But through all of this they ignored their QB need altogether.

Hmmm.... wonder where the biggest help can be had? Yup, at QB.

f the Chiefs are to take a QB, they have to consider the talent around them and whether they want to try to reemphasize the run like they did just 4-5 years ago. I don't beleive they have the tools yet to stretch the defense with a strong passing game, regardless of who the flinger is, due to the inexperience in their receiving corps. Beyond Gonzalez, there's not a lot of depth there. The Chiefs would need someone who can open the game up with lots of short, accurate passes, to force the LBs into shallow coverage, giving them better options to run the ball.

Joe Montana looks to be a natural fit to that style of offense (short under passes to open up the run), but the RB talent the Chiefs have reminds me more of the early 70's Bengals teams (Paul Robinson, Essex Johnson) than the mid-late 80's 49ers (Roger Craig, Tom Rathman)... and Ken Anderson was the first QB to run the "West Coast" offense. So while Montana fits the style, Anderson fits the style and the talent. You can't go wrong with either.

On the flip side, a shut-down CB would address KC's aging secondary, which can keep the games closer, reducing the need to go deep in catchup mode. There's no better pair of players to help out in this area than another Niner-Bengal pair... Ronnie Lott and Ken Riley.
Old 05-06-08, 03:23 PM

For KC, their glaring need is QB. so with the 5th pick, the Kansas City Chiefs select Joe Montana, QB.
Old 05-06-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does everyone want me to just make their picks for them? I won't mind.
Old 05-06-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Jets analysis:
Spoiler:
The Jets needed help at three positions... RB, DE, and ILB. RB Thomas Jones is entering his 10th season, and last year his yards per carry average dipped down to levels he hasn't seen since his sophomore campaign. Darren McFadden would've been the Jets clear selection here had not Oakland snapped the Razorback up. But that's okay, because the Jets plan 1A was to take one of the big three DEs - they got Vernon Gholston, which was a very very good choice.

They need a RB as an upgrade to Jones, and an ILB that can captain the defense and pair with David Harris to control the line of scrimmage.

My choices for the Jets:
Spoiler:

#1 - Jim Brown
#2 - Mike Singletary
#2a - Jack Lambert
Old 05-06-08, 04:29 PM

Jets wll take Dan Marino, QB out of Pitt.

This is the most freakish offensive player i have ever witness and will sure change the anemic Jets offense entirely with his precision passing,rocket arm and patented quick ,quick release... must build from frontline all of a sudden just seems overrated
Old 05-06-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to propose a rule: if you draft a "glamor" position in R1, you have to pick a complementary position in the next. I'm starting to worry about the run on QB, RBs and WRs that may ensue.
Old 05-06-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Jets wll take Dan Marino, QB out of Pitt.

This is the most freakish offensive player i have ever witness and will sure change the anemic Jets offense entirely with his precision passing,rocket arm and patented quick ,quick release... must build from frontline all of a sudden just seems overrated
What's going to be weird with this draft is the pure depth at these kinds of positions. I know kenbuzz was lobbying for an RB for the Jets, but the drop in quality from the 1st round to even the 3rd or 4th round in the all-time positions for RB isn't that great (assuming not everyone picks RBs, of course).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.