DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-19-18, 08:41 AM   #1051
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Is It Just Me, Or Has ESPN Been Going Down Hill?

ESPN has ruined their morning lineup. Get Up is on from 7-10 followed by two hours of First Take. Sportscenter airs on ESPN2 until 10 am then the repeat the Get Up show from 10 am to 1 pm.
Old 04-19-18, 11:04 AM   #1052
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was John Skipper's last project before he left ESPN. I seriously don't understand the love him and the network have for Michelle Beadle and Jalen Rose. They are horrible at what they do. Their NBA pre-game/halftime show sucks and they simply don't have the gravitas that Ernie Johnson and Kenny Smith have on TNT. And once again, ESPN is missing the boat on what people want. People want to wake up and see sports highlights from the previous night games, not people beating the horse on an specific topic for 30-45 minutes. The reason why Around the Horn and PTI work so well is because they take 5 minutes at most to talk about any sports topic from the day/weekend before and move on to the next topic.
Old 04-19-18, 11:52 AM   #1053
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't Jalen Rose get pulled over for a DUI a few years ago? Since then I haven't heard anything about it. Usually media people get shit canned after something like that happens unless he was 100 percent innocent.
Old 04-19-18, 11:56 AM   #1054
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least ESPN has given us ESPN+ streaming service.

I am waiting on more On-Demand(hopefully AWA,Global wrestling) and didn't they have roller derby for a year or two back in the middle 1980's.

I wish ESPN Classic could show NFL Films again. That would be perfect for ESPN+ but I gather the NFL only care's about today's product since the year's past won't make them any $$$.
Old 04-25-18, 09:37 AM   #1055

Who the fuck is Meek Mill, and why hasn't ESPN stopped talking about him in the past 24 hours?
Old 04-25-18, 09:42 AM   #1056
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Who the fuck is Meek Mill, and why hasn't ESPN stopped talking about him in the past 24 hours?
Probably because LeBron James didn't play last night.
Old 04-25-18, 09:58 AM   #1057
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Rapper from Philly who got out of jail yesterday. His sentence was a story of controversy and many athletes/actors/musicians spoke out about it. Hell, even Robert Kraft was/is vocal about it.

On ESPN cause the Sixers made sure he was able to make it to the game last night, even though he was released a few hours earlier.

Story about his going to jail:
https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/polit...y-z/index.html
Old 04-25-18, 10:45 AM   #1058

Thanks for the info. So why is he more important than the Sixers winning? I would have been fine with him being mentioned once or twice, but all NBA coverage on ESPN on the air and social media has been about Meek Mills and not the team. Is he going to be the new Lil B the Basegod who no one knows who he is, yet ESPN covers every time he says he's putting a curse on someone?
Old 04-28-18, 09:23 PM   #1059

Aside from the odd 30 for 30 documentary, I have to agree that ESPN is a shell of it's former self. Aside from those docs, the only thing I really enjoy watching is Pardon the Interruption...I PVR that one every day, and I hate it when it gets pre-empted, occasionally...
Old 04-30-18, 11:00 AM   #1060
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When is ESPN supposed too take over the Fox Sports Regional Network's?

I am guessing(can't remember) that this also includes the YES(Yankees) Network.

Last nights Yankees/Angels game on ESPN looked like an YES Network production.
Old 04-30-18, 12:07 PM   #1061
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post

Wait, did that part of the deal get finalized? I thought much of it was still up in the air, or is this separate from the bigger fox buyout?
Old 04-30-18, 12:56 PM   #1062
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't heard anything lately.

It seems like ESPN has stepped up it's NHL coverage(maybe because a lot of the FSN's carry NHL) or maybe it's because of ESPN+.

I haven't heard anything about Fox Soccer Plus .
Old 04-30-18, 03:10 PM   #1063
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post

The YES network is not a Fox RSN. It's a separate cable channel owned by the team and others. There is no way they would sell it.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 04-30-18, 03:19 PM   #1064
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.mlb.com/news/21st-centur...ork/c-67097138

Yes Network is 80% owned by FOX.

But yeah it's not considered a FOX Sports RSN.

The Yankees own the other 20%.
Old 05-09-18, 09:23 PM   #1065

There's a report that Sage Steele and Kevin Negandhi will be the new anchors for the 6PM SportsCenter. They will start on May 14.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dhi/595933002/
Old 05-10-18, 08:04 AM   #1066
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
There's a report that Sage Steele and Kevin Negandhi will be the new anchors for the 6PM SportsCenter. They will start on May 14.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dhi/595933002/
What happened to Michael Smith? i didn't keep up after Jemele left.
Old 05-10-18, 08:39 AM   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
What happened to Michael Smith? i didn't keep up after Jemele left.
He still ESPN but left the 6PM Sportcenter as he didn't agree with the company's decision to push out Jemele.

I don't like Sage Steele either but as long as the 6PM SC is highlights and previews of the night's games, it should be fine. There's so much talking heads TV that people can take and I'm glad that ESPN is switching back to a regular SC at 6PM. On the other hand, they need to kill the stupid morning show with Beadle and Jalen Rose. Again, I don't understand what Beadle and Rose have on these people because they are horrible. One of the things people dread the most is the fact that once the NBA playoffs get to the finals, we don't get to see the TNT crew anymore and instead we are stuck with the miserable ESPN crew for analysis.
Old 05-10-18, 09:04 AM   #1068
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as I have buried ESPN in this thread for the past 10 years, I have to say I started DVR'ing their 1AM Sportscenter again. They sort of went back to the basics as it is mostly hightlights and some commentary (only one NBA segment with that loudmouth Stephen A Smith, but I put up with it). I actually like Neil Everett and Stan Verrett as they sort of try to do it old school like Dan Patrick/Keith Olberman, but don't over do it like many young anchors on the network.
Old 05-10-18, 09:50 PM   #1069
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
He still ESPN but left the 6PM Sportcenter as he didn't agree with the company's decision to push out Jemele.

I don't like Sage Steele either but as long as the 6PM SC is highlights and previews of the night's games, it should be fine. There's so much talking heads TV that people can take and I'm glad that ESPN is switching back to a regular SC at 6PM. On the other hand, they need to kill the stupid morning show with Beadle and Jalen Rose. Again, I don't understand what Beadle and Rose have on these people because they are horrible. One of the things people dread the most is the fact that once the NBA playoffs get to the finals, we don't get to see the TNT crew anymore and instead we are stuck with the miserable ESPN crew for analysis.
ESPN has invested a lot in this new morning show. Doubtful they will pull the plug anytime soon.

Some guys think that Beadle is hot. I think she's kind of obnoxious and annoying.
Old 05-18-18, 09:53 PM   #1070
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

Ive never understood the fascination with Beadle. In her heyday she was nice to look at but those days are long gone. Jaylen is not a good on air personality at all.

If they would have paired Greeny with Booger Mcfarland I'd watch the hell out of that show. They have great chemistry and Booger actually knows what hes talking about.
Old 06-14-18, 01:47 AM   #1071
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sunday night Baseball ratings way down.
The writer of the article doesn't blame ARod.
But I do. I don't watch because of him. I don't want to listen to a cheater talk about baseball.
They should ditch the 3-person booth and only have Matt and Jessica call the game.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...alex-rodriguez
Old 06-14-18, 05:53 AM   #1072
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is no need for audio when watching ESPN baseball.

If you need play by play description ,listen to the game on tunein.
Old 06-14-18, 05:56 AM   #1073
Banned

After finishing with the worst record in the Eastern Conference, the Hawks may not look like they have much to offer LeBron. Not so fast. Atlanta has a reigning MVP: Quavo, a member of the rap trio Migos, took home that honor at the 2018 All-Star Celebrity Game.
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...ree-agency-nba
Old 06-14-18, 01:43 PM   #1074
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by will travel View Post
Sunday night Baseball ratings way down.
The writer of the article doesn't blame ARod.
But I do. I don't watch because of him. I don't want to listen to a cheater talk about baseball.
They should ditch the 3-person booth and only have Matt and Jessica call the game.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...alex-rodriguez
I don't mind A-Rod calling the game, but ESPN's entire baseball schtick is geared for very casual fans. Most baseball fans got the hint over the past decade that ESPN doesn't really care about the sport. It's the same strategic withdrawal the channel did with the NHL in the 2000s.

I think the declining ratings are more about the general malaise that has set in with cable viewers.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-09-18, 06:00 PM   #1075
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ESPN slightly going uphill.

ESPN Nukes Its Comment Sections, Unfairly Silencing Thousands Of Morons

Quote:
No longer will you be able to read an ESPN.com article and then underneath receive the dumbest possible reactions to it. The Worldwide Leader has phased out its Facebook-hybrid comment sections, as confirmed by a company spokesperson this week. None of the keyboard mashing will be archived—they will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Here’s the official statement:

“Fans currently have more touchpoints than ever to voice their comments. We value their opinions, and feel that we are better able to serve them through our customer care team and our social platforms. In fact, we have and are continuing to create content for social that embraces these conversations and interacts with fans.”
https://deadspin.com/espn-nukes-its-...-th-1827402794