Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN

Old 08-07-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so has DP been on at all since this was announced? i was listening again today and still no DP. and is it just me or does it seem like the segments are getting shorter and shorter?
Old 08-07-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's being kept off air until his final week, which starts next Monday.
Old 08-07-07, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin75
so has DP been on at all since this was announced?
Not since the week it was announced.

They have no reason to put him on the air. Mike and Mike have been alll over the place too. Greenberg drools about having that spot but I'm not sure ESPN would break that up (Golic might be good for Sunday/Monday night though).

They experimented with them doing arena football games, but I don't really think that worked. Greeny always wants the spotlight and takes over the talking.

Last edited by The Cow; 08-07-07 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're NOT going to break up Mike & Mike in the Morning--it's probably ESPN Radio's highest-rated show, especially on Eastern/Central time zone morning drive time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that Golic and Greenberg get substantial raises within the next 12 months.

I still think Erik Kuselias is a leading candidate to take over the 1300-1600 (ET) time slot.
Old 08-07-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

3 years ago you had your Mike and Mike, your TK, and your good DP with Dibble and Salisbury. I used to listen to that all day long....now, maybe 20 minutes on the drive to work of Mike and Mike.
Old 08-08-07, 12:25 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DP was the best in the 90s when he did SC with KO. Even after KO, he was still pretty good doing SC. When he started doing radio, he turned bitter, cocky, annoying ... Anyway, this thread can be summed up in these 3 quotes:

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Nothing can top the days of Patrick and Olbermann doing Sportscenter.
Originally Posted by starman9000
I don't listen to his show very often, but I really hope they don't replace him with another needlessly angry sports radio host.
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Who is going to step up and take the role as the smuggest asshole on sports radio?
Old 08-08-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RayChuang
They're NOT going to break up Mike & Mike in the Morning--it's probably ESPN Radio's highest-rated show, especially on Eastern/Central time zone morning drive time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that Golic and Greenberg get substantial raises within the next 12 months.
I'd be curious of their tv rating, it may surprise many. I think they are the most consistant ESPN personalities right now.

-p
Old 08-21-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any news yet now that Dan is officially gone?
Old 08-21-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not that I've heard officially, but EK was on today and I really enjoyed it. He had a former teammate of Vick on (I want to say Marlon Mcreary or something like that, he's a free agent I've heard of but not a star or anything) and I thought he just torched him. It was a pretty tense interview, the guy was basically defending Vick to an absolute fault and EK held his ground but stayed respectful without shouting.

EK is the best, it's not even close. For the love of God, just get him off that stupid NASCAR show and give him that slot. Or move the idiot Cowherd and give EK that slot, just get him on the radio consistently. He's even said that when multiple sports are on NASCAR is a distant last to him and THAT'S THE SPORT HE IS "COVERING."

With the percentage of shows that one (and usually both) Mike or Mike miss anymore, I have no idea who will be hosting what show until I start listening. They really need a consistent anchor that's not named Cowherd, and I think EK could easily be that guy.
Old 08-22-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Not that I've heard officially, but EK was on today and I really enjoyed it. He had a former teammate of Vick on (I want to say Marlon Mcreary or something like that, he's a free agent I've heard of but not a star or anything) and I thought he just torched him. It was a pretty tense interview, the guy was basically defending Vick to an absolute fault and EK held his ground but stayed respectful without shouting.

EK is the best, it's not even close. For the love of God, just get him off that stupid NASCAR show and give him that slot. Or move the idiot Cowherd and give EK that slot, just get him on the radio consistently. He's even said that when multiple sports are on NASCAR is a distant last to him and THAT'S THE SPORT HE IS "COVERING."

With the percentage of shows that one (and usually both) Mike or Mike miss anymore, I have no idea who will be hosting what show until I start listening. They really need a consistent anchor that's not named Cowherd, and I think EK could easily be that guy.
LOL, I love Cowherd and EK before he left the Sports Bash back in the winter/spring or whenever it was. I look forward to being able to listen to Cowherd here at work. Anyway, I would love for EK to get either DP's slot or his old slot, preferably his old one so that I could listen to his show on my hour-long commute home from work. The commute seemed to get longer once he was gone.
Old 08-22-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bravesmg
He's even said that when multiple sports are on NASCAR is a distant last to him and THAT'S THE SPORT HE IS "COVERING."
I think before leaving, EK was very frank about preferring a TV show, even NASCAR, over a radio show. One would hope that he would change his mind if offered the chance to be the main event, but who knows? TV is TV.
Old 08-22-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I think before leaving, EK was very frank about preferring a TV show, even NASCAR, over a radio show. One would hope that he would change his mind if offered the chance to be the main event, but who knows? TV is TV.
He was very honest, and pretty much said everybody in radio wants to be on TV, or they're lying. But his recent comments and tone about hosting NASCAR Now have skewed pretty negative and some of the updates on Deadspin say that NASCAR hardcores apparently loathe the guy.

I'm hoping that the experience soured him on the "take any TV gig you can" aspect and his enthusiasm for radio is shining through when he's on.
Old 08-22-07, 09:42 PM

I think EK is a hack. I hate listening to the ignorant comments he makes about baseball. But I would take almost anyone over Steven A. Smith.
Old 08-22-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Radio is for people who are too ugly for TV....but NOW you can be ugly AND on tv!

-p
Old 08-22-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think right now Kuselias is the leading candidate to be Dan Patrick's permanent replacement on ESPN Radio. I loved his stint on Sportsbash, and he'll be great on the 1-4 pm (Eastern) time slot.

By the way, you can forget about Cowherd leaving ESPN--his show has very strong ratings on the US West Coast during weekday morning drive, just like Mike & Mike in the Morning has strong ratings on US East Coast morning drive. I wouldn't be surprised that Cowherd gets a big pay increase in 2008 on a new five-year contract.
Old 09-17-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Full time replacements for Dan Patrick have been announced.

The Mike Tirico Show 1-3pm ET
The Stephen A Smith Show 3-4pm ET (This will be the second hour of his 1050ESPN show which moves to 2-4pm)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3024711
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...rico_espnradio

Can't say I am excited about either one. I would have rather seen Scott Van Pelt get the gig instead of Tirico. If they were pulling someone from 1050 over, I think Max Kellerman has a much better show, even though he's a huge Yankees homer.

Last edited by Dr_Evil; 09-17-07 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-17-07, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stephen A smith continues to wreak havoc by opening his shithole on the airwaves. way to go ESPN!
Old 09-17-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3024711

Can't say I am excited about either one. I would have rather seen Scott Van Pelt get the gig instead of Tirico. If they were pulling someone from 1050 over, I think Max Kellerman has a much better show, even though he's a huge Yankees homer.
I like mike tirico, and I doubt they are ever going to give Kellerman much of a shot.
Old 09-17-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
what is 1050espn?

and were is dan patrick now?
Old 09-17-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
I like mike tirico, and I doubt they are ever going to give Kellerman much of a shot.
Tirico is pretty good. My biggest gripe is that he doesn't seem to have a sense of humor though. When he interviews people he laughs at weird time or in a really forced, fake sounding way. I like to have some entertainment and humor mixed in with the sports talk. Patrick was pretty good at this especially when he had Olbermann on with him.

I figure it is probably too early for Kellerman to make a move up. His show gets good ratings in the NY market though.
Old 09-17-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
what is 1050espn?

and were is dan patrick now?
1050 ESPN is the local ESPN station in New York City. They do a mix of local and national talk. Stephen A. Smith has had a local show on their station for a while.

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/

I think Dan Patrick plans on going the syndication route like Jim Rome. It will be up to the local stations to decide if they want to pick him up. He's going to broadcast the show out of Chicago I believe.
Old 09-17-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling that given Kellerman's history with ESPN that even if he was "ready to move up" there's no way he'd get an ESPN Radio gig. Maybe FOX Sports radio.
Old 09-17-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
I have a feeling that given Kellerman's history with ESPN that even if he was "ready to move up" there's no way he'd get an ESPN Radio gig. Maybe FOX Sports radio.
Are the locals run separately from the national network? He already has a show on ESPN 1050 in New York, so he has some affiliation with them again already.
Old 09-17-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm wrong... thought ESPN 1050 was owned by another entity but it's owned by Disney.

Still wonder if they'd give him a national show though.
Old 09-17-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
The Stephen A Smith 3-4pm ET (

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.