Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

UFC 71: Liddell vs. Jackson

Old 05-22-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

UFC 71: Liddell vs. Jackson

Anyone planning on watching this fight? The only bouts that really interest me are the main event and Parisyan always entertains. The rest is pretty mediocre for the $40 price tag, but my brother is ordering so I'll be watching.

UFC 71: MAY 26, 2007 IN LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena

Main Card Bouts:
-Chuck Liddell vs. Quinton Jackson
-Karo Parisyan vs. Josh Burkman
-Ivan Salaverry vs. Terry Martin
-Keith Jardine vs. Houston Alexander
-Chris Leben vs. Kalib Starnes

Preliminary Bouts:
-Din Thomas vs. Jeremy Stephens
-James Irvin vs. Thiago Silva
-Wilson Gouveia vs. Carmelo Marrero
-Alan Belcher vs. Sean Salmon

United States PPV suggested retail price: $39.95
Old 05-22-07, 11:24 AM

I'll be watching, as I have all UFC PPV's for years now!
Old 05-22-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm definitley there. I'm rooting for Rampage, but I have a feeling Liddell gonna hit him with that one good punch from a weird angle to KO him or force a TKO. But I'd jump for joy if Rampage somehow finds a way to get the victory (hopefully via Arona slam).
Old 05-22-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jardine beats Forest and gets this for his next match?
Old 05-22-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
Jardine beats Forest and gets this for his next match?
Was surprised when I saw this as well. I don't think they know what they want to do with Jardine.

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 05-22-07 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I'm definitley there. I'm rooting for Rampage, but I have a feeling Liddell gonna hit him with that one good punch from a weird angle to KO him or force a TKO. But I'd jump for joy if Rampage somehow finds a way to get the victory (hopefully via Arona slam).
Not that he should be a favorite, but Rampage is a very live underdog.....he beat Chuck decisively the first time and while I don't expect it to happen again, it certainly wouldn't be a shock. Rampage has a hell of a chin, even in his losses to Silva, he took a world of punishment before going down.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 05-22-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm hoping Rampage puts it together for the win, but think him having so little cage experience will hurt him. Ideally he would have had a few more ufc fights before this one, since he didn't look that great last fight even.
Old 05-22-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How the fuck is Leben still in the UFC and why is Leben vs. Sterns on the main card??? Thats ridiculous.
Old 05-23-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by krazykat72
Not that he should be a favorite, but Rampage is a very live underdog.....he beat Chuck decisively the first time and while I don't expect it to happen again, it certainly wouldn't be a shock. Rampage has a hell of a chin, even in his losses to Silva, he took a world of punishment before going down.

-Paul Jacobi-
Definitley. I remember in his loss to Shogun that Mauricio broke his ribs and he still fought for like another two minutes. He's one tough mofo...and hilarious to boot.
Old 05-23-07, 09:18 AM

im hoping rampage will take it but Im starting to think some of these UFC fights are rigged. The recent match with Cro crop has started to make me think that maybe these fighters are being bribed with tons of cash to throw a fight. With the recent purchase of PRide, UFC will start its own Monopoly
Old 05-23-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by enrage
im hoping rampage will take it but Im starting to think some of these UFC fights are rigged. The recent match with Cro crop has started to make me think that maybe these fighters are being bribed with tons of cash to throw a fight. With the recent purchase of PRide, UFC will start its own Monopoly
You think CroCop took that shot to the head for extra money?
Old 05-23-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
How the fuck is Leben still in the UFC and why is Leben vs. Sterns on the main card??? Thats ridiculous.
Hopefully this will be the last of Leben. He's posturing for more money from the UFC by working with another organization. I don't think he's worth as much as he thinks he is, hopefully he'll disappear after this fight.

If Rampage can get his aggressiveness back he will handle Chuck just like he did the first time. That's a big "IF" though.
Old 05-23-07, 10:50 AM

if Cro crop would of won, then he would of taken out Randy Couture in a heart beat. no one wants to watch an old man get beat up. Its bad for the sport and makes for bad press. With Cro crop out of the way, randy couture can fight someone else and not get killed.
Old 05-23-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
You think CroCop took that shot to the head for extra money?
Not to mention the freaky way he fell that could have caused him to never fight again?
Old 05-23-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if Cro crop would of won, then he would of taken out Randy Couture in a heart beat. no one wants to watch an old man get beat up. Its bad for the sport and makes for bad press. With Cro crop out of the way, randy couture can fight someone else and not get killed.

Your theory really makes no sense.

First off, the UFC lost a lot of money by CroCop losing. The Couture/CroCop matchup would have been a huge success. Couture/Gonzaga is not going to draw nearly the amount of PPV buys.

Secondly, I honestly doubt Couture would have gotten beat up like an old man. His skills still put him near the top of the division even at his age, he would have had just as good a chance of beating CroCop as Gonzaga did. I'm not saying that I believe Couture could beat CroCop, but he would give him some competition.
Old 05-23-07, 12:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

The recent match with Cro crop has started to make me think that maybe these fighters are being bribed with tons of cash to throw a fight.
Old 05-23-07, 01:06 PM

i really hope im wrong. believe me.
Old 05-23-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know, if fights in the UFC are fixed, then Hughes most likely would never lose... Besides, Randy is a bad match-up for Cro-Cop and his obvious inexperience in the cage would have more than likely been exposed (but Gonzaga exposed it instead). Now CC can go back and re-evaluate his training methods and actually gives him a better chance at beating Couture (that is if the Natural gets past Gonzaga).
Old 05-24-07, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Totally agree. Main card for these two is just embarrassing. Especially Sterns..

Originally Posted by engrage
Rigged? That is hilarious.. Dude the UFC dumped a BUTTLOAD of money to get CroCop and he makes probably the most money out of all UFC fighters. They were promoting his as the next UFC god and you think they told him to lose? Just nuts...

As far as Rampage/Liddell.. I hope Rampage wins but honestly I just hope for at least a 3 round fight.
Old 05-24-07, 01:44 PM

I'm guessing Dana White and UFC think the Iceman vs. Rampage fight is strong enough to sell, even with a somewhat lacklustre card.

I'm hoping it will be a good fight, as I'm looking foward to seeing Liddell fight someone with a good striking and a solid chin. The babalu and ortiz match-ups were pretty anti-climatic, as it was obvious neither of those guys really had much of a chance of getting Chuck to the ground.
Old 05-24-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

*sarcasm*Yeah, Crocop-Gonzaga was fixed*/sarcasm* Not only does it not make logical sense in the grand scale of matchups, but I doubt Crocop would have agreed to go out via stone cold head kick in the first.

This card is another example of UFC overloading with too many cards a year, thus its more about the main event with a bunch of middling filler (though UFC 73 is indeed "stacked"). I'm semi-interested in Parisyan-Burkman and Salaverry-Martin, not because they are good matchups, but because I like Karo and Ivan as fighters. The rest of the matches are, both talent and stylewise, utter dogshit.

Since they last fought, Rampage has gone downhill. Only lost to good fighters, sure, but clearly not developed his game at all and has suffered from confidence issues (dont let his talk fool you). Chuck, on the other hand, has tightened his skills and gone on a tear, though his competition has been iffy and mainly rematches. But of course, there is also the fact that he's shown up trashed out of his mind on tv and clearly had some outside the ring issues.

I'm leaning towards Chuck, simply because I dont think Rampage is all there yet. While Chuck has been nothing but confident in his abilities, Rampage was so nervous in his last fight, a tune up, he was puking his guts up backstage (info straight from his and his trainers mouths). Hard to believe if he had nerves like that, he'll be together enough for a rushed title fight rematch.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-24-07 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-24-07, 06:53 PM

Fuck that card. Give me Andy Wang and Gabezilla. awwwwww day, son.
Old 05-24-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if Chuck wins, maybe his next fight will be against Shogun since he is now in the UFC (according to the Chute Boxe USA site) and supposedly fighting on 72...
Old 05-24-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, if Chuck wins, maybe his next fight will be against Shogun since he is now in the UFC (according to the Chute Boxe USA site) and supposedly fighting on 72...
I would have liked Shogun to stay in pride so we could see the inevitable match up with him and Sokudjou. The UFC LHW div is stacked though.
Old 05-25-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be pretty crazy if Rampage does a slam on Liddell but i don't think he is going to waste that kind of energy try to be all flashy not to mention Liddell isn't a light person either.

Yea other than the main fight, the card is a POS. Be nice to see at least 2-3 good bouts per card but usually just 1 good one and all filler.

I'm kinda disappointed to see that Zuffa hasn't done any new Pride events, I think the only new thing scheduled is in something in July. I want to see some Pride stuff also.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.