Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

UFC 71: Liddell vs. Jackson

Old 05-27-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 05-27-07, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
That was the first time I've seen Rampage fight. It's hard to imagine him losing to anyone, he's built like a rhino. I've never seen Liddell look scared of anyone, but he definitely didn't look too confident in the ring last night.

Watch his fights with Silva and Shogun to see him lose.....The second Silva fight has a particularly great ending.

Also...looks like the idea of Pride being run separately may be out the window according to the Observer site .

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 05-27-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Liddell is definitely a great face for the UFC, hopefully he gets the pub. he deserves.

As for the fight, Liddell said he made a mistake, and Jackson exploited it.

-p
Old 05-27-07, 05:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
His post fight interview nearly killed me, "no wait, I agree with the ref".
LMAO
That was hilarious
Old 05-27-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, you gotta check out the post fight conference. When Rampage starts making fun of Matt Lindland. It's classic. They need to put him as commentator next to Randy.
Old 05-27-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Rampage is the next possible superstar in the UFC and marketed properly, could be bigger than Liddell or Hughes... If he can just keep his training intensity up and not start doing stupid things during training, he could be champ for a while.
Old 05-27-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, you gotta check out the post fight conference. When Rampage starts making fun of Matt Lindland. It's classic. They need to put him as commentator next to Randy.
When he did Pride fights it was great. While doing commentary for one of Wanderlei's fights he said (paraphrasing) "Wanderlei's a bad man. He can knock you out with his hands, his knees, and his breath." He's a very funny, personable dude.

A little hard to believe the guy who barely decisioned Yoon Dong Sik a year ago was able to devastate Chuck, but I guess he's finally got back on track. Gotta' figure he'll be too much for Hendo, but Dan's an amazing fighter, the kinda' guy you can never count out. Rampage being champ sets up all kinds of interesting matches/rematches.
Old 05-28-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend trained at the same facility as Rampage in Irvine and he said he was always hilarious. One time they asked him to give advice to the other fighters and he was like "I have nothing to tell you, really, because all of you have more skills than I do. I'm just really strong. That's all."
Old 05-28-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say that the one of the biggest mistakes that the UFC has made over the past year, was not having Rampage do some guest commentating, prior to the Liddell fight, if they did that I'm sure there would have been less booing.

Also I really wish Dan would go down and fight at 185, when all of the Pride brazillians start comming over to fight (provided they can pass drug tests) that division will be increadibly stacked. The 185 division could Dan in its ranks.

Last edited by MrBob; 05-28-07 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-28-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Rampage / Hendo matchup is really interesting. What people don't remember is that Dan is actually a natural heavyweight and even holds a win over Big Nog. On the other hand, as much as people don't like to admit it, when he beat Wandy, Wandy had strep throat & fever.

Too close to call right now IMO. But I'm really happy it's happening.
Old 05-28-07, 12:08 PM

The Rampage / Hendo matchup is really interesting. What people don't remember is that Dan is actually a natural heavyweight and even holds a win over Big Nog. On the other hand, as much as people don't like to admit it, when he beat Wandy, Wandy had strep throat & fever.

Too close to call right now IMO. But I'm really happy it's happening.

Not to discount 'Hollywood' Dan's win over Minotauro, but that was 7 years ago and it was a split decision......Since then, both Nog's have submitted him via armbar.........He's matches up well with Rampage though and it'd be something else to see him add the UFC light heavyweight title to his collection.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 05-28-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed on all points. I forgot about the little nog loss. Anyhow, it's gonna be a great fight on all fronts. Hell, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll announce the next challenger to be Shogun.
Old 05-28-07, 02:33 PM

dan is not a natural heavyweight. the decision over minotauro was also BS - nog spent the majority of the extra round in mount throwing shots to his chest. the fight was even through the first two rounds, though.
Old 05-28-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just getting around to watching this PPV now, and it's actually funny how embarassed Mandy Moore is to be there. When she is on camera, she gives a sheepish smile, and then keeps looking at the floor.
Old 05-28-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Ironic how something that Chuck made a living off of (knocking guys out as they were retreating) is what finally brings him down.
Old 05-28-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, I'll just echo that Dan isnt a natural HW. Anytime he fought a heavy, he usually gave up 30+ pounds. He'll probably be between 195-200 to fight Rampage, who cuts weight, whereas Dan adds the weight. He has the mocking nickname "Decision Dan" precisely because of his early days where he was often getting the good side of many split dec victories (including that 1st BS dec over Nog).
Old 05-28-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea Rampage can take a beating. If you haven't seen the fight between Rampage and the "Ax Murderer" @ the Pride GP Championship. The knees rampage took from WAndy was insane, I can't beleive he was able to stay up that long.

This was the tournament that Iceman fought Rampage in where he also got beaten pretty bad.

Full Fight from start to finish. 23 mins

Rampage vs Wanderlei Silva - Pride GP Championship - Full Fight

Short Highlight Version

Highlight Shorted Version of Pride GP

Last edited by Excelesor; 05-28-07 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
Just getting around to watching this PPV now, and it's actually funny how embarassed Mandy Moore is to be there. When she is on camera, she gives a sheepish smile, and then keeps looking at the floor.
Yeah. I was kind of surprised to see her there as well. Doesn't strike me as the type of celebrity who would enjoy the UFC. She looked smokin hot though.

What did everyone think of the Jardine vs. Alexander fight ?? Man, that looked like a prison style beatdown.
Old 05-29-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It really seems that Page has got his training figured out and the UFC is where he will shine... He did some wierd things while preparing for Silva and Rue (like fasting) and now he seems to have some good people around him. Plus I heard he's given up all the God and family stuff and back to his crazy ways.

I always though Jardine was overrated and that beatdown proved it... Parysian looked good, and I wonder if he is ready to make the move to the big time and finally challenge for the MW title. I know he's lost to some big names but I think the way his standup look now, he is going to get some payback.
Old 05-29-07, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
It really seems that Page has got his training figured out and the UFC is where he will shine... He did some wierd things while preparing for Silva and Rue (like fasting) and now he seems to have some good people around him. Plus I heard he's given up all the God and family stuff and back to his crazy ways.

I always though Jardine was overrated and that beatdown proved it... Parysian looked good, and I wonder if he is ready to make the move to the big time and finally challenge for the MW title. I know he's lost to some big names but I think the way his standup look now, he is going to get some payback.

I think everyone needs to calm down a little about what a quick KO 'proves'. To me, it proves that at a certain skill level, with the smaller gloves, almost no one is immune to defeat (Fedor excepted until anyone proves otherwise).

Karo's a welterweight, and as stacked as that division is, and with Hughes/Serra not happening until November, it may be quite awhile before he gets a shot.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 06-01-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where do you guys see the post fight interviews and stuff, other then the one right after the match. Just watching to watch's Rampages. I thought they were norm on ufc or sherdog but can't find them either place. I must be blind.
Old 06-01-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Where do you guys see the post fight interviews and stuff, other then the one right after the match. Just watching to watch's Rampages. I thought they were norm on ufc or sherdog but can't find them either place. I must be blind.
http://ufcmania.com is a great source for UFC news. I check it multiple times daily.

UFC Post Fight Press Conference

Quinton Jackson UFC 71 Post Fight Afterthough

Houston Alexander Post-UFC 71 Video Interview

Dana White Interview

Rampage on ESPN Hotlist 05.29.07

Last edited by tbird2340; 06-01-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-01-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

UFC 71 fighter paydays and salaries

UFCmania.com just received the fighter payouts for UFC 71 from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for the event held on May 26th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada:

Quinton Jackson - $225,000
Chuck Liddell - $500,000
Jackson defeated Liddell via KO in round one

Karo Parisyan - $32,000
Josh Burkman - $7,000
Parisyan defeated Burkman via unanimous decision

Terry Martin - $12,000
Ivan Salaverry - $17,500
Martin defeated Salaverry via TKO in round one

Houston Alexander - $8,000
Keith Jardine - $7,000
Alexander defeated Jardine via TKO in round one

Kalib Starnes - $10,000
Chris Leben - $10,000
Starnes defeated Leben via unanimous decision

Thiago Silva - $16,000
James Irvin - $7,000
Silva defeated Irvin via TKO in round one

Alan Belcher - $14,000
Sean Salmon - $3,000
Belcher defeated Salmon via guillotine choke in round one

Din Thomas - $28,000
Jeremy Stephens - $3,000
Thomas defeated Stephens via armbar in round two

Wilson Gouveia - $16,000
Carmelo Marrero - $5,000
Gouveia defeated Marrero via guillotine choke in round one

The total payroll for UFC 71 as reported was $920,500. Keep in mind this number does not include signing bonuses, sponsorships, pay-per-view percentages and other unofficial bonuses.

Also not included is the “fight of the night” bonus that went to Kalib Starnes and Chris Leben (though some sites have it going to Parisyan/Burkman).

Nor does it include the “submission of the night” bonus awarded to Din Thomas and “knockout of the night” bonus that went to Quinton Jackson.
Old 06-01-07, 10:10 PM

starnes and leben getting fight of the night is incredibly lame. such a slow and sloppy fight.
Old 06-01-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MahatmaPetey
starnes and leben getting fight of the night is incredibly lame. such a slow and sloppy fight.
That got fight of the night??? Oh man, un-fucking-believable... I am one of the few who thinks that the Ultimate Fighter is actually a good thing and enjoy watching it, but those guys are 2 fighters who dont belong anywhere near a fucking cage.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.