Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB Sunday April 22, 2007

Old 04-22-07, 09:42 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
The yankees keep rolling out stiffs, broken down ones at that.
Proctor is an above average reliever, but you can't pitch the kid EVERY damn night.
Old 04-22-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ruh roh

could use a 6-4-3 right about now
Old 04-22-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Timlin up means no Papelbon? *gulp*
Old 04-22-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pap should be available. He didn't pitch Friday and threw only 19 pitches yesterday. Strange. Maybe Terry had no intention of using him in the 8th so there's no reason to have him start warming up yet?
Old 04-22-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was supposed to be there right now So pissed I cant even see straight...
Old 04-22-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats to the Sox on the sweep. That being said, I can't feel all that disappointed in it. The Yankees faced Boston's 3 best pitchers, and were in every game and should have won 1, and could have easily had the sweep themselves. By next series Wang and Matsui should both be back, with Pavano and Mussina soon to follow hopefully. Even though it was a sweep, it was a lot closer and better for the Yankees than I imagined it.
Old 04-22-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Say what you want about Dice K

I have nothing to say but this does ---

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST
D Matsuzaka 7.0 8 6 6 1 7 1 108-74

but he's looked nasty against AROD and Abreu etc.
Wow. It is completely unheard of for a pitcher to have an advantage when he's new to a league and a country. Despite that, the Yanks roughed him up pretty good.
Old 04-22-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Congrats to the Sox on the sweep. That being said, I can't feel all that disappointed in it. The Yankees faced Boston's 3 best pitchers, and were in every game and should have won 1, and could have easily had the sweep themselves. By next series Wang and Matsui should both be back, with Pavano and Mussina soon to follow hopefully. Even though it was a sweep, it was a lot closer and better for the Yankees than I imagined it.
Carl Pavano is never really back.
Old 04-22-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Throwing in the towel a tad early, aren't you?
Old 04-22-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^^True.

^Yes .
Old 04-22-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
That being said, I can't feel all that disappointed in it. The Yankees faced Boston's 3 best pitchers, and were in every game and should have won 1, and could have easily had the sweep themselves.
Yep. But let's let Boston think they accomplished something..

Let's also hope we're not having the farm team start next week..

well, except for Pettitte...
Old 04-22-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I hate being right..
Old 04-22-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Joy. Well, I guess they like digging a hole to crawl out of once we get healthy.
Old 04-22-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Yep. But let's let Boston think they accomplished something..
yes, lets let boston think they accomplished a 3-game sweep because.. well..

that's what just happened.
Old 04-22-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for what it's worth, as a boston fan I still dont put too much stock in this sweep since it came against a AAA pitching staff for the most part.
Old 04-22-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean as a Boston/SF/Seattle fan, yes ?
Old 04-22-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
yes, lets let boston think they accomplished a 3-game sweep because.. well..

that's what just happened.
for what it's worth, as a boston fan I still dont put too much stock in this sweep since it came against a AAA pitching staff for the most part.
So...is it an accomplishment or not?
Old 04-22-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing that I am most optimistic about is that the Yankees scored 16 runs against the Red Sox 3 best pitchers.
Old 04-22-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really can't believe people talk of Wang as if is some sort of a savior to a pitching staff, I mean didn't he have a 4 era last year? Also, how can anybody even a Yankee fan mention Pavano as a viable option, or a possibility ever.

I really don't think the scores would be any different even if the Yankees had Mussina and Wang, they would give up a few runs just the same, I would actually like the Red Sox better against both of them, since the Sox are notoriously bad against pitchers they have never faced.

It's a good 3 game series, but it's a long season.
Old 04-22-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This sweep will probably be so demoralizing that the Yankees never really recover and end up finishing 10 games below .500.

Old 04-22-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really can't believe people talk of Wang as if is some sort of a savior to a pitching staff, I mean didn't he have a 4 era last year? Also, how can anybody even a Yankee fan mention Pavano as a viable option, or a possibility ever.

I really don't think the scores would be any different even if the Yankees had Mussina and Wang, they would give up a few runs just the same, I would actually like the Red Sox better against both of them, since the Sox are notoriously bad against pitchers they have never faced.

It's a good 3 game series, but it's a long season.
You lose Matsuka, Beckett and Schilling all at the same time, and then come talk. Wang was by far our best pitcher last year, and Mussina has been very good as well. Pavano has been hurt, yes, but he finally showed some flashes this year. As far as thinking the series would be the same, that's crazy talk. Wang and Mussina most likely get the other 2 games to the 6th or 7th inning and give the bullpen a break so Pettitte doesn't have to relieve 2 days after a start.

And BTW, last year Wang had a 3.63 ERA, well below the league average of 4.38. He was also 19-6. Mussina was 15-7 with a 3.51 ERA, again well below the league average.
Old 04-22-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You lose Matsuka, Beckett and Schilling all at the same time, and then come talk. Wang was by far our best pitcher last year, and Mussina has been very good as well. Pavano has been hurt, yes, but he finally showed some flashes this year. As far as thinking the series would be the same, that's crazy talk. Wang and Mussina most likely get the other 2 games to the 6th or 7th inning and give the bullpen a break so Pettitte doesn't have to relieve 2 days after a start.

And BTW, last year Wang had a 3.63 ERA, well below the league average of 4.38. He was also 19-6. Mussina was 15-7 with a 3.51 ERA, again well below the league average.
I'm just giving you guys [email protected] I'm sure if your other pitchers back it would still be a close game either team could win is all I'm saying. I wouldn't give the Yankees any more chance to win, honestly, I could be wrong though Maybe they would pitch better, but you know if that happened maybe the Red Sox starters would have too, I mean who knows.

I think if Wake or Tavarez pitched one of the games, they would have probably held the Yankees to just as many runs, possibly even fewer. You two young guys who the Sox have not faced could have just as easily came in and pitched amazing against them, the Red Sox do norm stink against people their first time facing them.

You just never know what you'll get with any of the games. Great pitching game or blowouts.
Old 04-23-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rogue588
So...is it an accomplishment or not?
Well of course it is, the Sox beat their #1 divisional rival 3 straight. No matter if it wasn't pretty, it's still good if you're a Sox fan.
Old 04-23-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
This sweep will probably be so demoralizing that the Yankees never really recover and end up finishing 10 games below .500.
Or get swept out of the playoffs..
Old 04-23-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though Dice K didnt pitch his best, his start was pretty telling as to how good he really is.

Its not real often someone pitches 74 strikes out of 108

not often someone giving up 5 early runs ends up still on the mound in the 8th

not often a pitcher gives up 6 runs at the same time only giving up 8 hits and a walk with 7 strikeouts. usually a pitcher that pitches bad gives up more hits or a lot more walks and usually doesnt stick around long enough to get 7 Ks.

yes, he had a bad start, but it was pretty good for a bad start. If I was a pitcher Id like my bad starts to be like this

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.