Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

TNA Genesis PPV "Pick Ems" Contest

Old 11-18-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TNA Genesis PPV "Pick Ems" Contest

ok guys it's time for another wrestling Pick Ems Contest! This weekend it's TNA Genesis.

Here are the rules...
1 - Vote for which wrestler or team you think will win each match. "Win" means the announced winner, reguardless of pinfall, DQ, countout or whatever.
2 - IMPORTANT : The order you list the matches determines how many points you get for each correct pick. The match you list first, you will get 9 points if you correctly pick the winner, 8 points for the second match and so on down to 1 point for the final match you list. So the best strategy is to list the matches you are most sure about who will win first.
3 - The person with the most points is the winner and gets the respect of the others!

Here are the matches...

NWA World Title Match
Sting (c) vs Abyss

NWA World Tag Team Titles
The L.A.X. (c) vs America's Most Wanted

X-Division Title Match
"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels (c) vs Chris Sabin

Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle

AJ Styles vs Christian Cage

Lance Hoyt & Ron "The Truth" Killings vs Austin Starr & Alex Shelley

The Naturals vs Sonjay Dutt & Jay Lethal

Voodoo Kin Mafia vs Kazarian, Matt Bentley & Johnny Devine

Robert Roode vs "mystery opponent"

I've been meaning to add up the results from the last few pick ems but haven't gotten around to it, hopefully sometime this week.
Old 11-18-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sting (although Abyss deserves it more)
L.A.X
Daniels
Naturals
Styles
Voodoo Kin Mafia
Angle
Starr and Shelley
mystery oponent (I think/hope its Petey Williams)
Old 11-18-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Robert Roode

Sting (although I'm hoping for an Abyss win via DQ - and an Abyss world title win would send me into fanboy geekdom)

No winner in Joe vs. Angle. There's no need to put Angle over by letting him end Joe's streak, and there's no need to put Joe over by having him beat Angle... I really don't know where they're going to go with this one.

The Naturals

The L.A.X.

Christopher Daniels (I want to see Sabin win this, but they need to leave the belt on one person to rebuild its credibility after being passed around like a whore for a month)

Christian Cage

Austin Starr & Alex Shelley

Voodoo Kin Mafia
Old 11-19-06, 05:13 AM
Banned

Sting
L.A.X
Daniels
Naturals
Christian Cage
Voodoo Kin Mafia
Samoa F'n Joe
Starr and Shelley
Mystery Oponent (Chris Jericho and he wins)
Old 11-19-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Starr & Shelley
Christian Cage
Sting
Voodoo Kin Mafia
LAX
Daniels
Robert Roode
Naturals
Samoa Joe
Old 11-19-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Naturals
Voodoo Kin Mafia
Sting
"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels
Austin Starr & Alex Shelley
AJ Styles
Robert Roode
The L.A.X.
Samoa Joe

Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle - I have no idea... this is going to be interesting, you can't have Joe lose his undefeated streak, yet you can't have Angle lose his first TNA PPV match.
Old 11-19-06, 02:32 PM

Here are my picks for the matches...

NWA World Title Match
Sting vs Abyss

NWA World Tag Team Titles
The L.A.X. vs America's Most Wanted

X-Division Title Match
"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels vs Chris Sabin

Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle

AJ Styles vs Christian Cage

Lance Hoyt & Ron "The Truth" Killings vs Austin Starr & Alex Shelley

The Naturals vs Sonjay Dutt & Jay Lethal

Voodoo Kin Mafia vs Kazarian, Matt Bentley & Johnny Devine

Robert Roode vs "mystery opponent"
Old 11-19-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OW!!! I had my 9 points stolen from me in the first match! Roode won, but used the ropes for leverage. The match was restarted, and Eric Young got the victory. However... TNA's results site list a victory for each man. What say ye, Turborobb? Points for all?

Winners so far:

Robert Roode over Eric Young

Eric Young over Robert Roode

Voodoo Kin Mafia over "The Movement."
Surprise, surprise... Raven is the secret mind behind The Movement. He came out with a Singapore Cane and beat Divine for losing the match.

The Naturals beat Sonjay Dutt & Jay Lethal

Christopher Daniels beat Chris Sabin
AJ Styles prevented Sabin from using a steel chair on Daniels. After the match, Jerry Lynn stopped Sabin from getting in another chair shot, and forced Sabin to shake Daniels' hand. As Lynn turned to walk away, Sabin took Daniels out with the Cradle Shock.

Lance Hoyt & Ron Killings beat The Paparazzi
Dammit, I should have seen that one coming, since they're playing up the whole "Shelley costs a match because he's trying to get attention" thing.

Christian Cage defeated AJ Styles
Gee, who didn't see this coming? Christian tries to hit AJ with a chair, Daniels comes out to stop him. Styles goes for a sunset flip as Daniels and Cage play tug-of-war with the chair. Cage drops, AJ misses, Cage gets the pin. Styles and Daniels argue, Rhyno comes out to break it up and get them to shake hands, AJ tells him off and leaves. Heel AJ? Sweet shit, please no.. AJ has just above ZERO charisma and can't deliver a promo to save his life. That's why he has always sucked as a heel.

L.A.X. over America's Most Wanted
Post match L.A.X. goes after Gail Kim, only to be stopped by Petey "I'm the Can-Am Connection all on my own" Williams. Jim Cornette comes out and says that due to L.A.X.'s total lack of respect for their opponents, the fans and TNA management, they are stripped of the tag belts and are to turn them over by Thursday night's Impact.

Abyss defeated Sting by DQ
The old "titles can change hands on a DQ" rule has been brought back out of mothballs, having last been seen a little over 2 years ago. Sting knocked out the ref and got himself DQ'd.

Kurt Angle defeated Samoa Joe via submission

Last edited by MovieExchange; 11-19-06 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-19-06, 09:22 PM

Oh My God! Abyss Is The New Champion!
Old 11-19-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Curse_7781
Oh My God! Abyss Is The New Champion!
WHAAAA! (also that means Angle/Joe is the main event!!)

everyone
Abyss Hallow Abyss Hallow (oh whatever the hell the orlando fans chant at him)
Old 11-19-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WOO HOO! Abyss is champ!

I'm not going to fool myself, though... he's sure to be a transitional champ to either Joe or Angle.

Shit, I forgot that a title can change hands on a DQ in TNA! Hell, I think the last time they brought up that rule was back in the weekly PPV days when Apollo and D-Lo lost the tag belts to Kid Kash and Dallas (Lance Hoyt).

I wish they would have been more consistent with that rule durring Jarrett's reign as champ, though.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 11-19-06 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-19-06, 09:44 PM

Looks like Joe and Angle are gonna have a rematch....

BY THE WAY...JOE TAPPED OUT!
Old 11-19-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Curse_7781
Looks like Joe and Angle are gonna have a rematch....

BY THE WAY...JOE TAPPED OUT!
That's absolutely fucking retarded. Angle, the veteran that is better known than Joe, did not need that sort of rub. This is the type of booking that gets a lot of us pissed at TNA, because they take an angle that they've built up for a lengthy period of time and then piss it away for no reason.
Old 11-19-06, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
That's absolutely fucking retarded. Angle, the veteran that is better known than Joe, did not need that sort of rub. This is the type of booking that gets a lot of us pissed at TNA, because they take an angle that they've built up for a lengthy period of time and then piss it away for no reason.
I thought it was a good match (though of course the finish wouldn't be a popular move with the fans), for something that will result in more matches between Joe and Angle.

TNA was kinda smart for not blowing their entire wad in one match, though I will admit that the second half of the PPV made up for the $30 I spent on it.

By the way, they are already setting up a rematch when Joe demanded a rematch afterwards and Angle refused...seems Angle is the heel of the next match.
Old 11-19-06, 10:24 PM
Banned

I like Abyss and all but the title changing hands on a DQ is a bunch of Bullshit. MovieExchange brilliantly pointed out JJ reign and the many times the title did not change hands on a DQ. The match that actually should have ended in DQ should have been Angle/Joe. It would have made neither one of them look weak and could have still built their next match up. I had a lot bigger expectations for this PPV and it just did not do it for me.
Old 11-20-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The whole PPV was shit, and a waste of $30. Way too many Russo finishes, way too many angles/finishes that made no sense. Bleh, if it weren't for Angle. Fallen Angel and Joe I would wash my hands of this company.
Old 11-21-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the PPV was full of great matches but horrible booking.

I would have never thought in a million years that Sting would do the thumbtack spot
Old 11-23-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Turborobb - what's the word on a winner? Everything's on hold until you rule on how the Roode / Young match should be scored.