Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB Off-Season thread 06/07 edition

Old 10-14-06, 03:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

MLB Off-Season thread 06/07 edition

First bit of big news

Sun-Times is reporting Lou Piniella will be announced the Cubs manager next week with Joe Girardi going to the the Nats.

The drunk frat-boys who sit in the bleachers and talk on their cellphones the entire game will probably love this move but I know a bunch of Cub fans that are ready to lynch Hendry and I agree with them

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluc...luca14.article
Old 10-16-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ken Mocha was fired today (no word on when they plan to rehire him )

Sweet Lou is going to be introduced tomorrow, meh. The bigger news is the Tribune is opening up it's pockets and bumping payroll up to ~115mill. They won't really matter, of course, if Hendry decides he needs to way overspend on the glendon rusch's and neifi perez's of the world.

And I actually wouldn't be surprised if Girardi doesn't manage next year. he has said that he would only work in the conditions he wants. I'd heard he only wanted the Cubs or Yankees jobs, and with both closed I could see him just taking the announcing job he's been offered. His pitching coach, Rick Kranitz, just signed a 1 year deal back with Florida, and it was widely reported he was going to go where Joe went.
Old 10-16-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Red Sox Hire Pitching Coach

Pitching coach hired
By Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff

The Red Sox today announced that John Farrell, Director of Player Development for the Cleveland Indians, has been appointed as the team’s major league pitching coach.

The Red Sox released the following details along with the announcement:

Farrell, 44, is expected to officially join the Boston organization on November 1. The former major league pitcher has served as the Indians Director of Player Development since November 2001. In that role, he has overseen all elements of the Tribe’s player development system, including the organization’s six minor league affiliates and the Latin American programs in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic. Farrell has also supervised the signing of all minor league free agents while assisting in major league player acquisitions.

With the Indians, Farrell has been instrumental in the development of such pitchers as Fernando Cabrera, Jason Davis, Jeremy Guthrie, Edward Mujica, Rafael Perez, and Jeremy Sowers.

Under Farrell’s tutelage the Indians were named “Organization of the Year” in consecutive seasons in 2003-04 by USA Today’s Sports Weekly and were named by Baseball America has having number one farm system in professional baseball in 2003.

Farrell was selected by Cleveland in the second round of the 1984 First Year Player Draft after an outstanding career at Oklahoma State University. The righthander was 36-46 with a 4.56 ERA in 116 major league games/109 starts with the Indians (1987-90; 1995), Angels (1993-94), and Tigers (1996). He was 14-10, 4.24 with seven complete games with Cleveland in 1989 but was hampered by injuries for the remainder of his playing career, missing the entire 1991 and 1992 seasons with right elbow problems.

After his retirement as an active player, Farrell spent five seasons from 1997-2001 as Assistant Coach/Pitching & Recruiting Coordinator at Oklahoma State University, completing his bachelor’s degree at OSU in 1996. With the Cowboys, Farrell instilled new disciplines and methods into the program and mentored 14 pitchers that were drafted or signed as non-drafted free agents at the professional level, including righthander Scott Williamson, who earned National League Rookie of the Year honors with Cincinnati in 1999.

Farrell and his wife, Sue, reside in Westlake, Ohio. The Farrells have three sons – Jeremy, Shane, and Luke. Jeremy is a sophomore infielder at the University of Virginia.
Old 10-16-06, 05:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

With the state the Cubs are in now giving Hendry more money to spend is really stupid. He knows he's on the hot seat and he's going to overspend on more garbage like Jockstrap Jones to try and save his job.

If the Cubs were smart they'd blow the whole thing up and build around Lee and Zambrano, but like I said if they were smart.
Old 10-16-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What would they get for Woods and Prior? That'd be selling WAY low. They are stuck with them.....at least until the middle of next year...IF they stay healthy, and IF they pitch well.

-p
Old 10-16-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
What would they get for Woods and Prior? That'd be selling WAY low. They are stuck with them.....at least until the middle of next year...IF they stay healthy, and IF they pitch well.

-p
Wood will be a FA, they have an option for next year but it's like 12million dollars and they already said they aren't picking it up. Wood wants to be a reliever next year, so he'll probaby sign an incentive laden deal.
Old 10-16-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
If the Cubs were smart they'd blow the whole thing up and build around Lee and Zambrano, but like I said if they were smart.
I honestly don't think blowing up is really necessary. First of all the NLC blows, and it doesn't look like it's getting any better next year. The Reds won't stick around, Brewers probably still aren't there, the Cardinals have 4/5 SP as free agents and their offense outside of Pujols isn't special.

Core offense of Aramis (though they are going to have to up his money this offseason), Lee and Barrett. Matt Murton is going to be a great 1 or 2 hitter (unless they decide to try and get Clee, and Murt's out of a job here). Hopefully they get a right handed platoon guy in Right (Jones was alot better than most realize this season, and he killed right handed pitching). Probably going to stick with Izturis at short, hopefully he bats 8th. Get a decent bat at 2nd and CF. They are supposedly going to make a run at Soriano and try him at CF, that will be interesting (if they don't get outbid, which they most likely will).

Pitching. Obviously Big Z #1, Rich Hill stepped up at the end of the year, they HAVE to get one of Schmidt, Zito or Matsuzaka.

That is alot to happen, but like I said the Central doesn't have a dominant team so it's not that big of stretch that the COULD be contenders. Too bad I have just around zero confidence that hendry realizes the necessary moves.

Most importantly I don't think hendry is the right GM to run a blow up.
Old 10-16-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
The drunk frat-boys who sit in the bleachers and talk on their cellphones the entire game will probably love this move but I know a bunch of Cub fans that are ready to lynch Hendry and I agree with them
Oh please, as much as the 'your put down of people' that go to the Cubs game I could come up with a million jokes about the White Sox fans.
Too easy, and it would hurt.
Old 10-16-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cubs don't need a total blowup, but even with the pitiful state of the NL Central, they shouldn't worry about contending in 2007. Trying to fill holes with over-priced garbage hasn't gotten them anywhere. It's time to build around a core of players. I always hear that the fans wouldn't understand or accept any sort of rebuilding process. Well, this team lost 96 games and didn't even have the silver lining of being in the rebuilding phase. Just do it; I think the fans will understand.
Old 10-16-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From ESPN online

CHICAGO -- Lou Piniella, who will be formally introduced as the new Chicago Cubs manager Tuesday afternoon, wants to acquire embattled -- and possibly available -- New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

Sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.com that Piniella, who is extremely close to Rodriguez, expects the Cubs to aggressively pursue the 10-time All-Star. The 63-year-old manager and the 31-year-old Rodriguez have what amounts to a quasi-father/son relationship. It is that relationship -- and the tantalizing talent of Rodriguez -- that has prompted Piniella to want to explore a trade with the Yankees.
If Sweet Lou can deliver Arod, that would be amazing.
Old 10-17-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
From ESPN online

If Sweet Lou can deliver Arod, that would be amazing.
I doubt it will happen unless the Yankees can get Zambrano in return. Unless of course a third team is introduced into the mix.
Old 10-17-06, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
Wood will be a FA, they have an option for next year but it's like 12million dollars and they already said they aren't picking it up. Wood wants to be a reliever next year, so he'll probaby sign an incentive laden deal.
Wood wants to be a reliever? He would be a horrible relief pitcher--at least a horrible closer since he is awful in pressure situations. Maybe he could handle some garbage innings in middle relief when you're already up or down big.
Old 10-17-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Twins picked up Hunter's 2007 option last week
Old 10-17-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Macha is a good manager. Maybe our Nats will pick him up. I don't really believe in Girardi.

Yanks would definitely trade Arod for some frontline pitching. If Prior's name is dangled, I think they could get him.
Old 10-17-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Twins picked up Hunter's 2007 option last week
I like Torii, but he isn't worth $12 million/year.
Old 10-17-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Zizz
Wood wants to be a reliever? He would be a horrible relief pitcher--at least a horrible closer since he is awful in pressure situations. Maybe he could handle some garbage innings in middle relief when you're already up or down big.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Being a reliever would allow him to just reach back throw hard. And it's just a different situation, so I'm not sure his past experience as a starter in pressure situations necessarily means he will suck at it.
Old 10-17-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paraphrased from Pinella's press conference about 20 minutes ago:

Reporter: What are you going to do to improve the Cubs OBP?

Pinella: I'd like to get 8 midgets who walk all the time.

Old 10-17-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they aren't going to toss Wood right into fire in close games and closing situations (that is if they bring him back). For whatever it's worth, in '05 when he spent a couple weeks in the bullpen he was just completely filthy.

The real concern is if he'd be able to pitch consecutive days, and all that being a reliever entails.
Old 10-17-06, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Agreed. I don't favor the Twins decision here.
Old 10-17-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately "worth" and "what it takes to keep a player" are seldom far apart in baseball
Old 10-17-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree, nobody is worth that much. Also, Luis Castillo's option was automatically picked up due to plate appearance #s, and that is 5.75 million. Mauer and Morneau are arbitration eligible, so hoping they get long-term deals and I really hope that Shannon Stewart is on his way out.
Old 10-17-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Macha is a good manager. Maybe our Nats will pick him up. I don't really believe in Girardi.

Yanks would definitely trade Arod for some frontline pitching. If Prior's name is dangled, I think they could get him.
If the cubs really want Arod i figure some type of deal would include Felix Pie, maybe Sean marshall or another pitching prospect, and maybe Prior on top of all that. It basically boils down to how bad do the Yanks want to get rid of Arod.
Old 10-17-06, 02:25 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
If the cubs really want Arod i figure some type of deal would include Felix Pie, maybe Sean marshall or another pitching prospect, and maybe Prior on top of all that. It basically boils down to how bad do the Yanks want to get rid of Arod.
No way that gets it done. The White Sox offered a package that started with Joe Crede and were turned down.
Old 10-17-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After looking at it again it does seem like a low offer, maybe making it Aramis, Pie, and a top of the line pitching prospect.

When did the White sox make an offer on AROD? Never heard it, must've been before this season because crede had a hell of a year.
Old 10-17-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
After looking at it again it does seem like a low offer, maybe making it Aramis, Pie, and a top of the line pitching prospect.
Ramirez is going to opt out of his contract. He can't be traded.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.