Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Argos QB breaks pro football career passing record. - Hall of Fame?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Argos QB breaks pro football career passing record. - Hall of Fame?

Old 09-05-06, 01:32 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,143
Argos QB breaks pro football career passing record. - Hall of Fame?

43 y/o Argos QB Damon Allen broke the pro football carreer passing record during his last game. Allen now has 70,596 career passing yards.

Before I start, let me save you guys some time:

Damon who?

Canada has pro football?

The CFL?

Now that we got that out of the way...

Does he belong in Canton? Well since it's called the "Pro Football Hall of Fame", I say yes. 70,596 passing yards is an amazing achievement, regardless of the league. For the record, Russian goalie Vladislav Tretiak made it into the Hockey Hall of Fame without having played a single game in the NHL.

If you don't want him in there, just change the damn name to "NFL Hall of Fame". Seriously, he has about 0.01% chance of even being considered.

Last edited by eXcentris; 09-05-06 at 01:35 PM.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 01:35 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,303
Pro Football HOF = NFL/AFL Hall Of Fame. They aren't gonna put players in from inferior leagues, regardless of what their numbers are.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 01:37 PM
  #3  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
I agree. They really should just name it NFL/AFL Hall of Fame and be done with it.
Josh H is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 01:38 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,143
cdollaz, no problem but as I said, change the damn name to NFL/AFL Hall of Fame then.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 01:44 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,624
eXcentris -- defending Canadian sports nobodies for 6 years and counting
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 01:45 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,303
Originally Posted by eXcentris
cdollaz, no problem but as I said, change the damn name to NFL/AFL Hall of Fame then.
That would be fine with me.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 01:51 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Put those numbers up against the best in the world and then we'll talk HOF.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 01:52 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,143
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
eXcentris -- defending Canadian sports nobodies for 6 years and counting
Yeah obviously, I start threads "defending" (huh?) Canadian sports every week!

El Scorcho -- DVD Talk Hero -- Proof that heroes from inferior leagues will never be admitted into the Hero Hall of Fame.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 01:59 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,562
We had this discussion when I brought up Flutie's career numbers. I too said "PRO" Football HOF. But the facts are that CFL numbers will be considered (e.g., Moon) ONLY when coupled with significant NFL achievements.

This guy don't have a chance to make it.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 02:02 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,143
Well he's related to Marcus Allen so that should count for something.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 02:15 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,528
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
eXcentris -- defending Canadian sports nobodies for 6 years and counting



And the operative word is 'nobody.' When 10% of football fans can name the holder of the professional passing yard record, then at that point maybe one could have an argument for this nobody.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 02:17 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,181
While we're at it, how about Barry Wagner and Hunkie Cooper for the HOF too.
Jeremy517 is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 02:36 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,143
Originally Posted by Red Dog
And the operative word is 'nobody.' When 10% of football fans can name the holder of the professional passing yard record, then at that point maybe one could have an argument for this nobody.
Since I'm a football fan and I know about both the CFL and the NFL, I can only conclude that your argument reflects rather poorly on those "fans" you are referring to.

Ok, that was a joke, sort of.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 02:46 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,624
Doesn't the 3-down rule also result in more of a passing attack on offense, too?

Seems kind of silly to annoint the guy as the Yardage God when a completely different fundamental set of football rules is used.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 03:08 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,181
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Doesn't the 3-down rule also result in more of a passing attack on offense, too?
As does the wider + longer field. If I'm not mistaken, the games are longer too.
Jeremy517 is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 03:16 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,624
Plus the play clock is 20 seconds instead of 40 and you can have up to 3 men in motion behind the line of scrimmage -- including towards the line of scrimmage.

But sure, lets just make him our Passing God and call it good, nevermind that he's playign a completely different game.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 04:16 PM
  #17  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,604
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Since I'm a football fan and I know about both the CFL and the NFL, I can only conclude that your argument reflects rather poorly on those "fans" you are referring to.

Ok, that was a joke, sort of.
Isn't this football in Canada and the rest of the world?
The Cow is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 04:52 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
astrochimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 17,626
Originally Posted by The Cow
Isn't this football in Canada and the rest of the world?
To me it is But to most Canadians when you say football they think the NFL,then the CFL.

Congrats to Damon on breaking the record.I dont follow the CFL as much as i used to when i was a kid and used to go to good old Ivor Wynne stadium in downtown Hamilton to watch the Ti-Cats play
astrochimp is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 04:57 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 7,317
I don't think he should make it.

--------------------

On a sidenote, I wouldn't call the CFL an inferior league. It's just different. Out of all countries, the U.S. shouldn't call anybody's leagues inferior. Seems like in all major sports, the rest of the world is catching up to us or have already passed us. Hell you could say the Euro Basketball League is the best in the world by looking at the results lately.
edytwinky is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 04:59 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
It seems to me that you guys are giving the CFL a pretty unfair shake here. Ricky Williams did not rush for 100 yards in any of the agmes he played, let alone put up even marginally significant numbers. That being the case, does it mean that since he was your "superior" leagues leading rusher that NFL defence is inferior to the CFL?

In my opinion unless they change the name to NFL hall of fame then he should in the HOF without a doubt. Albeit my opinion is obviously biased as I have watched these guys play for years living in and around toronto...but as a football fan regardless of which league it is my opinion would still remain the same if i didn't live here.

As far as saying that he shouldn't get in because the rules are different in the 2 leagues, that is a ludicrous comment, it would be like me saying that sidney crosby doesn't deserve to ever be in the hall of fame because the NHL changed their rules. Rules, and policies are changed yearly in all leagues...so that is a non issue. But if it were an issue, then yes 3 downs would dictate a more passing driven attack, but it would also yield less downs to complete a pass.
mautos is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 05:24 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,624
I don't think anybody is calling the league inferior (I certainly wasn't), but the CFL game is so fundamentally different than the NFL game because of their 3-down setup, bigger fields, 20 second play clock, etc. -- that comparing stats from one league to the next is like comparing apples to oranges.

The HoF is a professional american football hall of fame and shouldn't include people that succeed at bastardized versions of it.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 05:29 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,181
Originally Posted by mautos
It seems to me that you guys are giving the CFL a pretty unfair shake here. Ricky Williams did not rush for 100 yards in any of the agmes he played, let alone put up even marginally significant numbers. That being the case, does it mean that since he was your "superior" leagues leading rusher that NFL defence is inferior to the CFL?
Ricky is a different situation. The main difference is that there is far less focus on the running game in the CFL, due to the three-down structure. We're not talking about minor changes like you see year-to-year in leagues. We're talking about huge fundamental differences in the way that the game is played.

Plus there is the fact that Ricky only cares about earning weed money now and doesn't care about football. He failed to rush for 100 yards in 10 of his 12 NFL games in 2005. He hasn't been a top-tiered NFL running back in a long time.
Jeremy517 is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 05:44 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,384
Originally Posted by mautos
In my opinion unless they change the name to NFL hall of fame then he should in the HOF without a doubt. Albeit my opinion is obviously biased as I have watched these guys play for years living in and around toronto...but as a football fan regardless of which league it is my opinion would still remain the same if i didn't live here.
I agree with this statement. If you are going to call yourself a "Pro Football Hall of Fame" then Allen's accomplishment should be recognized. If not, then as others have indicated change your name to NFL/AFL Hall of Fame and be done with it.
LorenzoL is online now  
Old 09-05-06, 06:11 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,528
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I agree with this statement. If you are going to call yourself a "Pro Football Hall of Fame" then Allen's accomplishment should be recognized. If not, then as others have indicated change your name to NFL/AFL Hall of Fame and be done with it.

I disagree. The operative word is 'fame.' This guy is known only to few football fans, and thus cannot be considered a famous football player/coach/owner/etc.

Do the people who think this guy is deserving of induction also believe that Sadaharu Oh belongs in the Baseball HOF?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 06:12 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
I don't think anybody is calling the league inferior (I certainly wasn't), but the CFL game is so fundamentally different than the NFL game because of their 3-down setup, bigger fields, 20 second play clock, etc. -- that comparing stats from one league to the next is like comparing apples to oranges.

The HoF is a professional american football hall of fame and shouldn't include people that succeed at bastardized versions of it.
bastardized according to whom? Some prefer the CFL game to the NFL game...it's more so that I don't think many of you are willing to give it a chance.

I agree that the rules are quite different, but a better point of comparison for me would have been this. US open has 5 sets to win a match where as certain tournaments use 3 sets, some use grass courts, some use clay courts. To me these are rather big differences. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone who wins one and not the other should not be considered for a hall of fame.

But like I said I am obviously biased in this debate...just trying to give a different perspective and defend a truly great leader and QB.
mautos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.