DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   TNA on Spike TV 5/11 (World X Cup, Sting's Partner, Kevin Nash, SACRIFICE PPV Sunday) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/464768-tna-spike-tv-5-11-world-x-cup-stings-partner-kevin-nash-sacrifice-ppv-sunday.html)

turborobb 05-08-06 05:30 PM

TNA on Spike TV 5/11 (World X Cup, Sting's Partner, Kevin Nash, SACRIFICE PPV Sunday)

This Thursday at 11pm on Spike TV it's TNA Impact (replay Saturday at 11pm)

http://www.tnawrestling.com/impact/i...s/roodeamw.gif

Six Man Tag
America's Most Wanted & Bobby Roode vs AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels & Rhino

Abyss vs Chase Stevens

World X Cup : USA vs Mexico
Chris Sabin vs Puma

plus more of Alex Shelley's interview with Kevin Nash, Sting reveals his partner for the Sacrifice PPV, also... Christy Hemme, Jeff Jarrett, Scott Steiner, Christian Cage, Buff Bagwell, Lex Luger, Rick Steiner, Shocker, Team Canada, Team 3D, Gail Kim, Jackie, The James Gang and much more!

http://www.tnawrestling.com/ads/impa...partnerbox.gif

- PLEASE, DO NOT POST SPOILERS -

and this Sunday on PPV it's TNA SACRIFICE!

http://www.tnawrestling.com/ads/home/sacthissunday.gif

NWA World Title "Full Metal Mayham" Ladder Match
Christian Cage (c) vs Abyss

NWA World Tag Team Titles
America's Most Wanted (c) vs AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels

Sting & Samoa Joe vs Jeff Jarrett & Scott Steiner

Team 3D vs The James Gang

Jushin "Thunder" Liger vs "The Canadian Destroyer" Petey Williams

World X Cup : 16 Man X-Division Gauntlet

Raven vs Team Canada's A1

Rhino vs Team Canada's Bobby Roode

plus more matches to be announced Thursday on Impact!

turborobb 05-10-06 09:44 PM

this thread is smoking hot this week! lol

http://www.tnawrestling.com/globalim...balimpact2.jpg

http://www.tnawrestling.com/globalimpact/index.html

the new episode of TNA's internet show is up. Samoa Joe vs Chase Stevens, outtakes from the Kevin Nash interview and Christy Hemmes photo shoot.

ckw4b 05-11-06 10:39 PM

It's been a great show so far. I like how they are using a big name like Kevin Nash to get over the X-Division. Nash can go on a tear, but the guy who ultimately beats him will get a huge bump.

Smart booking.

dadaluholla 05-12-06 08:33 AM

I only watched it up to the point where Samoa Joe came out, but did that seem like one of the DEADEST crowds ever?? You could practically hear crickets chirping during the Abyss match.

And I'm not sure why, but I just do not like Chris Sabin...at all.

Still a fun show.
;)

fujishig 05-12-06 10:35 AM

The crowd seemed especially dead during the Sting/Jarrett segment, which seemed to draw out way too long. That may just be because I knew the big reveal ahead of time, but still... the whole "Sting is depressed because he's out of options" angle seemed pretty lame. And if they were going to elevate Joe like that, they should have let Daniels keep the belt.

The X-division match between Puma and Sabin felt weird... it was like it was too obvious that they were going for specific spots.

Surprisingly, I did like the promo that started the show between Team 3D and the James Gang... I'm not sure I'd watch their match, but I liked the promo. I also liked the way they introduced the Shelley video. The Nash interview itself was ok, I guess. The whole premise behind it (that Nash drew huge in WWE, even though I don't even remember him winning the championship at all, and that the X-division is just a bunch of little guys) seems too "smart" for it's own good... and I should've mentioned it last week, but what kind of graph was that?

edytwinky 05-13-06 04:33 PM

Nash is hilarious, or at least I seemed to think so.

Nash will run through most of the X-Division until the likely guy, Samoa Joe, stops him. If all goes through, it should benefit both Joe and Nash. And just like Nash says, I should take credit for this idea of TNA uses it.

Curse_7781 05-13-06 08:44 PM

*Sigh*

I kinda was disappointed with TNA this month, but not for the reason you guys think....

I really don't like this television booking format where the shows (3 shows to be exact) is taped in one night. Normally I understand if TNA did two shows to save budget but 3? Plus it kinda hurts the unpredictablity of the next shows within those 3 shows when they are done in one night.

Granted they did take one direction differently in creative terms (definetly a good thing) which involved Buff, Lex, and Rick Steiner that caused many people (including some on this board) when they first heard about it to cringe and turn away from the product. However, that type of mentality hurt the product during that time and it certainly showed in ratings during these past 3 weeks...

IMO, its high-tide that the bookers or writers need to change especially as the rumblings around TNA are circulating that Dixie Carter did say to Jarrett that if ratings don't improve, she make changes in booking decisions....

That being said, I hate to admit that I don't plan on ordering this months PPV despite half of the card looks solid with the World X Cup, Abyss and Christian championship match :(

turborobb 05-14-06 12:27 PM

the only reason they did 3 weeks worth in one taping is because there were only 3 weeks between Lockdown and Sarifice (where there were 6 weeks between Destination X and Lockdown, TNA went out of their way not to have a PPV even close to Wrestlemania) Usually there is 4 weeks between PPVs and they tape two episodes the Monday right after the PPV and then two more episodes two Mondays later. I guess it would have been too much to fly everyone into town to tape a single one hour episode.

great Nash interview below

KEVIN NASH ARRIVES IN ORLANDO - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
By Ross Forman

Kevin Nash simply laughs at TNA Wrestling's mega-popular X-Division, and its stars are the brunt of Nash's wise-cracking humor.

"If Hollywood ever wants to do a remake of the 'Wizard of Oz,' they could use the X-Division wrestlers as the munchkins," he said. "Someday I'd like to see my son get into wrestling, but he's hesitant. He's 9-years-old and already bigger than the vast majority of the TNA roster."

Nash, who hasn't been seen in a TNA ring since last fall, has appeared on iMPACT! the last few weeks. Alex Shelley interviewed Nash, and the former WWE and WCW World Champion has caused quite a stir with his comments.

Certainly in the locker room among the X-Division wrestlers.

And also at the broadcast table, where Mike Tenay and Don West have volleyed right back at Nash as if the announcers were the official X-Division spokesmen.

"I'm entitled to an opinion. God knows, as an American, I've earned that right. I know I've paid enough taxes to have an opinion," he said. "The X-Division wrestlers just need to realize that, yes, size matters. I know their girlfriends have been telling them for years that size does not matter, but they're just lying to them. And if they're lying to them about that, they're probably lying to them about everything else as well.

"My son didn't watch wrestling when I was in WWE or WCW. One of the main reasons I came back to the sport was because I wanted him to have a role-model who was bigger-than-life. All of my heroes were bigger than life. I understand the down-sizing concept, but I don't think you need to down-size in your role-models.

"A mediocre, mediocre, mediocre big-man will crush an X-Division wrestler seven days a week, period. And I'm great wrestler, still, way above the mediocre level."

Nash, a champion on multiple occasions in numerous federations, has though endured 23 surgeries during his Hall of Fame career. He will appear at Sacrifice on Sunday in Orlando.

"I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. I might just watch. I might interfere. Heck, I might just smack some of the X-Division wrestlers in the locker room," Nash said.

No doubt Sonjay Dutt is high on Nash's hit-list, following Dutt's comments about Nash which aired on iMPACT!

Mike Tenay, too, believe it or not.

"I don't know that kid (Dutt), so what's he running his mouth about? What a jerkoff!" Nash said. "I didn't say anything negative to him, yet he's calling me a dinosaur. I guess I'm going to have to show him that I'm still the most dominant man in the business. I really don't appreciate Hillary Duff or Salami Dutt, or whatever the hell his name is, running his mouth."

As for Tenay, Nash snapped, "I was nice enough to get Mike his job with TNA, and if he doesn't watch himself, I'll get him fired too. Don West as well. Any two monkeys from the zoo can do the job as well as they do it.

"I've never said anything about, or against, Mike Tenay's opinion ... unless he's dating one of the guys in the X-Division, which is possible.

"And ya know what, I've had a lot of people come up to me on the streets and tell me how much they agree with me."

Shelley is the lone X-Division star safe from Nash's wrath, at least for the time being, "because he at least was smart enough to come to me, to hear what I had to say."

"The rest of them, forget it; I have nothing to say to them, mostly because they mean nothing. They're filler on the card. They're filler on earth," Nash said. "They will be back unloading trucks for Ryder very soon, and probably Mike Tenay as well."

Pariah 05-14-06 05:43 PM

I went to an indy show last night and Abyss was there, with the NWA belt. He was announced as "in possession of the NWA world title."

I can't decide on this ppv, I haven't bought a TNA ppv in a few months, but something about this show just isn't hooking me. One thing I want to see is Liger v Petey, I hope Liger looks more like he did in RoH a few months ago and less like he did with Joe. I think this will be another ppv to see how many people will show up and if it splits cheap enough.

edytwinky 05-14-06 06:18 PM

The Nash interview was great.

Still probably won't order the TNA PPV. Hell, I haven't ever ordered one. There's gotta be a lot of good stuff on the card for me to order one.

Sonny Corinthos 05-14-06 10:09 PM

I ordered the ppv tonight and it failed to keep my interest. The crowd seemed dead to me as well. I have wasted money before, no biggie I guess.

edytwinky 05-14-06 10:19 PM

How much are the TNA Pay per views anyway?

BravesMG 05-15-06 10:32 AM

I think they are usually $29.99 if I remember correctly. This was the first PPV I've skipped in a couple months, didn't seem all that appealing. Anybody else have any impressions that watched it. Is it worth picking up on DVD?

GuessWho 05-15-06 11:06 AM

Nash drew huge in WWE, even though I don't even remember him winning the championship at all
http://www.hoffco-inc.com/wwe/thist/...esel01st-1.jpg

fujishig 05-15-06 11:09 AM

Hmm... no PPV recap yet?

The Nash vs. X-division angle... I don't know how they handled it on the PPV, but I don't see how this is going to get anyone over... none of the X-division guys who need elevation (ie: anyone but Styles, Joe, or Daniels) have great mic skills, certainly not enough to hold their own against Nash. So when Nash runs them down on the mic, then destroys them in the ring, what good is that? Seems like he's playing the "cool heel" which means he'll get some cheers as well...

devilshalo 05-15-06 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
The Nash vs. X-division angle... I don't know how they handled it on the PPV, but I don't see how this is going to get anyone over... none of the X-division guys who need elevation (ie: anyone but Styles, Joe, or Daniels) have great mic skills, certainly not enough to hold their own against Nash. So when Nash runs them down on the mic, then destroys them in the ring, what good is that? Seems like he's playing the "cool heel" which means he'll get some cheers as well...

Well, in WCW, the Rey vs Nash angle sorta helped elevate Rey Rey.. it might do so with one of the lesser known X-division guys. Besides, it might be a way to get Alex Shelley even more attention since Nash has said he's 'safe' from his wrath. :shrug:

turborobb 05-15-06 12:41 PM

Not the best TNA PPV ever, but not bad either, a nice solid PPV... way better than Backlash, thats for sure!

Aj/Daniels vs AMW stole the show, amazing! The X-Division stuff was great as always, 3D vs James Gang was pretty good, the PPV was brought down a bit by the Raven/A1 and Rhino/Bobby Roode matches... they felt like Impact matches and there was no build up to make anyone care... I was surprised the put Bobby Roode over Rhino.

The ladder match was ok... my only complaint is (actually this is my complaint about every ladder match I've ever seen, TNA or WWE) the belt was hanging too damn low... everytime Christian or Abyss was even halfway up the ladder, I'm thinking... it's right there!! get it!!

Sting/Joe vs Steiner/Jarrett was really good, better than you would think, Steiner belly to belly suplexed Joe like he was a rag doll and once again Jarrett worked his tail off in the ring, but will still fail to get any respect from the "Smart Internet Fans"

fujishig 05-15-06 03:06 PM

Wow, Rhoode over Rhyno? I know that WWE is resurrecting the ECW brand and Rhyno's contract is up soon, but I don't think he's jumping back... why put Rhoode over in a basically hot-shotted match? I mean, if there was the right buildup, I could see it, but basically Team Canada's been a bunch of glorified jobbers lately.

fujishig 05-16-06 07:03 PM

Ouch, Joe sidelined 2 to 3 weeks. I guess there is a benefit of TNA taping three shows at a time... I wonder if this will even have a visible impact on their show.

turborobb 05-16-06 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ouch, Joe sidelined 2 to 3 weeks. I guess there is a benefit of TNA taping three shows at a time... I wonder if this will even have a visible impact on their show.

they only tape two shows at a time, but yeah, hopefully he will be ok in 2 weeks for the next tapings.

dadaluholla 05-17-06 08:02 AM

Yep, Joe wouldn't want to miss out on his 3-4 minutes of airtime on Impact.