Old 10-02-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:
Liverpool 1 Chelsea 4 final
Old 10-02-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What standard are we going to use for spoilers in this thread?

Spoiler:
Maik Taylor was unconscious today, but the Arsenal prevailed, 1-0. Yay!
Old 10-02-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leepyswetr
I wasnt sure,to be honest id rather not use em but i dont wanna upset anyone who may get the matches on tape delay.

Last edited by astrochimp; 10-03-05 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 04:40 PM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts

Spoiler:
Maik Taylor was unconscious today, but the Arsenal prevailed, 1-0. Yay!
My preference would be to use them, but It's not a strong preference.
Old 10-03-05, 11:43 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
ick. what a 2nd half, we had to chase it so I can't blame rafa, and while I like the touches crouch has he hasn't done anything yet to make him look like scoring a goal or 10.

dissapointing but not the end of the world, we chased the game in the 2nd half. and when you do that you expose yourself, I'm still happier with traore there than warnock.
Old 10-03-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
ick. what a 2nd half, we had to chase it so I can't blame rafa, and while I like the touches crouch has he hasn't done anything yet to make him look like scoring a goal or 10.

dissapointing but not the end of the world, we chased the game in the 2nd half. and when you do that you expose yourself, I'm still happier with traore there than warnock.
We desperately need four things:

1. Another striker. To partner Crouch. I'm willing to play 4-5-1.... I'd rather play Crouch at AM and then bring in another striker to play up front.
2. A winger. Simao will work, and I know we've put in another bid for him. Joaquin has also been bid for (allegedly).
3. A centre defefnceman. All we have right now is Carra and Hyppia. We desperately need some cover.
4. Someone who can take set pieces. We don't have anyone. Simao could do a job there for sure (which is why I want him over Joaquin)

I have a feeling we're going to do alot of spending in January rather than over the summer. If we can come out of January with Simao and a couple of others, we're going to be alright.

But nobody is going to overtake Chel$ki until Roman gets bored and goes to Italy or another plaything.
Old 10-07-05, 07:51 AM

No fixtures this week, as it's World Cup qualifying time again.

Current Standings

.TeamPlayedWinsDrawsLossesGoals ForGoals AgainstDiffPoints
1.Chelsea88001821624
2.Charlton Athletic7502127515
3.Tottenham Hotspur843195415
4.Manchester United7421105514
5.Bolton Wanderers842296314
6.Manchester City842296314
7.Arsenal7412104613
8.Wigan Athletic741275213
9.West Ham United7331115612
10.Middlesbrough8323911-211
11.Blackburn Rovers832379-211
12.Newcastle United823357-29
13.Liverpool614146-27
14.Portsmouth813459-46
15.Birmingham City8134712-56
16.Aston Villa8134814-66
17.Sunderland8125611-55
18.Fulham8125713-65
19.West Bromwich Albion8125715-85
20.Everton710619-83

Top Scorers

1Darren BentCharlton7
2Ruud van NistelrooyMan Utd7
3Marlon HarewoodWest Ham4
4Geoff HorsfieldWest Brom4
5Frank LampardChelsea4
6Jermain DefoeTottenham3
7Didier DrogbaChelsea3
8Thierry HenryArsenal3
9Brian McBrideFulham3
10Danny MurphyCharlton3
11Morten Gamst PedersenBlackburn3
12Wayne RooneyMan Utd3
13Joey BartonMan City 2
14Yossi BenayounWest Ham2
15Sol CampbellArsenal2
Old 10-10-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Holy shit - just watched it today... what a match. I'm glad you guys are using spoiler tags - I'm watching the liverpool/chelsea game right now.
Old 10-14-05, 08:19 AM

I thought I'd use this opportunity to plug my favorite English football magazine, When Saturday Comes

I'm sure many of you are familiar with it, but for the uninitiated, it's worth checking out.
Old 10-14-05, 08:36 AM

Fixtures

15 October 2005

West Bromwich Albion - Arsenal
Liverpool - Blackburn Rovers (RS)
Chelsea - Bolton Wanderers (FSC/RS)
Tottenham Hotspur - Everton
Sunderland - Manchester United
Wigan Athletic - Newcastle United (FSC/RS)
Middlesbrough - Portsmouth (FSC)

16 October 2005

Birmingham City - Aston Villa (FSC/FSWC)
Manchester City - West Ham United (The Score)

17 October 2005

Charlton Athletic - Fulham (FSC/FSWC)
Old 10-14-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Too bad McBride plays for a bottom-dweller.
Old 10-14-05, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
Too bad McBride plays for a bottom-dweller.
Don't get me started about that pretty boy hack.
Old 10-14-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Don't get me started about that pretty boy hack.
Don't dog the Billiken.
Old 10-15-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought Chelsea might actually lose one today,least till the 2nd half started
Old 10-16-05, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
I thought it would end up 1 to 6 when they were up by 2... someone must've kicked their asses during halftime.

Good chelsea game though. Anyone catch the one after that? Surprised about who made it to #2.
Old 10-16-05, 07:26 AM

I suppose people might not want to read further if they don't want to know yesterday's results...

Wenger gives up on title after third defeat
October 16, 2005

WEST BROMWICH, England (AFP) - Arsene Wenger virtually conceded the English Premiership title to Chelsea after watching his Arsenal side surrender the lead as they went down 2-1 to West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns.

It was the first time that Bryan Robson's side had come from behind to win in the Premiership.

Arsenal now have a 14 point deficit to make up and even though they possess a game in hand over Chelsea, the French manager feels that it is too big a gap for his team to make up on Jose Mourinho's run-away reigning champions.

"At the moment it does not look likely that we can catch Chelsea. Let's get our injured players back first, but right now Chelsea are not even a worry for me," said Wenger.

"I have got more important things to worry about. We do not even talk about the title. The most important thing I am concerned about is winning our next game."

Arsenal's next encounter is in the Champions League against Sparta Prague and they will have to try to win without Swedish international Freddie Ljungberg who limped off in the first half to join the growing number of injured players at Highbury.

"Freddie will be out for three weeks with a hamstring injury," moaned Wenger.

"It is very difficult for us when we have so many experienced players out injured. My team looked like a youth team against West Bromwich Albion."

The Frenchman's mood has not been helped by the loss of 10 million pounds (18 million dollars) signing Alexander Hleb for two months with a cartilage problem and he remains very angry with the Belarus international management set up for costing him the services of the midfielder.

Hleb had surgery to repair the damaged cartilage on Friday and Wenger said: "They played him when they had scanned him and they knew he had a cartilage problem.

"They wanted to inject him and to play him in a meaningless game. That is not right.

"The international teams do not care about their players, even when they play for nothing. I find that very difficult to accept and something has to be done about it."

West Brom manager Bryan Robson ended a run of six games without a win and eased some of the growing pressure on himself with the surprise victory, courtesy of Darren Carter's wonderful second half goal after Nwankwo Kanu cancelled out Philippe Senderos' first goal for Arsenal.

Albion moved out of the bottom three with only their second win of the campaign and Robson believes beating a side of Arsenal's class could help inject some confidence into his squad for the rest of the season.

"To come from behind to beat a side of the quality of Arsenal is a fantastic testament to the spirit of my players.

"They showed that in the second half. Hopefully that can be the turning point for us this season. It will give us great self-belief."

Swiss defender Senderos muscled his way past Curtis Davies to give the visitors the lead on 17 minutes, applying the decisive touch to Jose Antonio Reyes' corner.

Kanu scored against his old club seven minutes before the interval firing home a vicious shot past Jens Lehmann.

Dutch international Dennis Bergkamp was making his 400th appearance for Arsenal and was given the captain's armband for the day.

But it was to end in disappointment as substitute Carter smashed home an incredible winner just seven minutes after joining the fray.

The England under-21 international, who joined West Brom in the summer from Birmingham City, unleashed an unstoppable volley to give Albion only their second league win in nine games this season.
Old 10-16-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like a great race for 2nd place this season which i think when all is said and done with go to ManU.
Old 10-17-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The sucking of Liverpool, Arsenal, and Newcastle is kinda surprising.
Old 10-17-05, 03:32 AM

Well done Kevin Phillips, always nice to get one over the Bluenoses.
Old 10-17-05, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
The sucking of Liverpool, Arsenal, and Newcastle is kinda surprising.
It isn't all that surprising once you think about it. Liverpool are not a very high quality squad, they just had a tremendous run of luck in last season's Champions League. Arsenal are without Viera this season, Lehmann is not the greatest keeper, and their squad keeps aging. Newcastle are probably relying too much on Owen to cover up their multitude of other inadequacies, and Owen has never shown himself to be a winner anywhere.
Old 10-17-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everton's collapse is even worse (and by worse, I mean better ) than I had dreamed... I joked after they made the CL that they'd "pull an Ipswich" but it's happening in reality. And looking at their upcoming schedule, they might still be stuck on 6 or 7 points come Christmas.

Liverpool will come around, especially after the January transfer window. Just some injuries, coupled with summer moves falling through, coupled with having to play more games than anyone else in the PL (all 3 rounds of CL qualifying, the Super Cup, the upcoming Intercontinental Cup...), and coupled with a few other problems has led to the slow start. They'll be 3rd or 4th by May.

Last edited by WildcatLH; 10-17-05 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-17-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Arsenal are without Viera this season, Lehmann is not the greatest keeper, and their squad keeps aging.
Lehmann is a great keeper. You don't go unbeaten with a scrub in goal. The defense is not up to scratch, though, even if Pascal Cygan is the team's second-leading scorer.

Besides selling Vieira, the following players have had extended absences through injury:

Cole
Ljungberg
van Persie
Hleb
Henry
Campbell
Bergkamp

I'd say that explains Arsenal's sucking. On the other hand, they're top of the group in the Champions League, looking good there early for the first time in a while.
Old 10-17-05, 01:23 PM

Fascinating article, IMO

Has Abramovich Killed English Football?

10/17/2005 6:19:00 PM

It is only just over two years since Roman Abramovich and all of his millions arrived on these shores, yet the Russian billionaire has already managed to change the shape of English football so dramatically and quite possibly for ever.
If you are a Chelsea fan you’re probably already sighing at yet another Chelsea-bashing article, be it about Mourinho’s arrogance, their perceived boring football, or their mega-rich owner, but this is in no way a dig at the Premiership champions, but a genuine concern at what the future holds for the English game.

During the mid-90’s most non-Manchester United fans used to bitch and moan about the stranglehold Sir Alex Ferguson’s side had on the rest of the top flight and their domination was irritating, but in hindsight we can all look back and realise that United had not monopolised the Premiership, but it was in fact healthy competition. Liverpool in the 1980’s was even more extreme, but both these were just phases of success that happens in every sport in every country.

However, Chelsea could be a totally different story. Granted it is probably stupid to compare the Blues to either of those great sides after just one Championship, or surely that should be two as this one is as good as won already… yes I am saying that in October. Chelsea WILL win the league this season and WILL win it again next season and by then everyone will be bored sick of them and probably the Premiership. Why am I so confident? Well, they have the best team at the moment, by some considerable margin, and if they have any kind of problem they can just throw money at it and buy a better player. Nobody else can, so how can anyone else compete?

What happens if Chelsea win the title for the next ten years without fail? What happens if they win the title by 20 or 30 points each time? Where will be the fun in that? It would make the Scottish Premiership for the past decade look open and at least they had two horses.

Basically I’ve admitted that Chelsea have won, they are the best and will be the best for as long as they have one of the richest men in the World owning them. There probably are still many of you that don’t see Chelsea as being that far ahead of United or Arsenal and are hopeful that Jose Mourinho’s side are due a loss of form, but sadly I am not so hopeful.

So I’ve been looking to the future and frankly it scares me. There are no realistic scenarios as to how we can return the Premiership to how it was pre-Abramovic that I’d be happy with. For example, there could be a rival to Chelsea if some other multi-billionaire takes over another club and throws their fortune at them, but what is the fun in that? The Premiership would become a billionaires playground and all the clubs unfortunate not to have their own billionaire would be unable to compete, regardless of the hardwork they put in, as in this World money rules.

So how else can other clubs compete with Chelsea? Suggesting a points handicap, or a breakway is just fantasy, but perhaps capping transfer fees and wages is an option worth considering. If every club in the World were restricted to spending say 20m a year on players then the likes of Chelsea couldn’t just go and buy all the talent they wanted, but in truth would this policy work? Probably not, as it would never be agreed.

Similarly, clubs could be forced to operate without investment, so that clubs had to generate profit, which they could spend on improvement, rather than their rich owner dipping into their deep pockets. This is how clubs like Charlton and Bolton have had to operate for years and that is what irritates me the most about how one man can, with a click of his fingers, emulate and succeed generations of hard-work by other clubs.

What do you suggest be done to stop Chelsea and stop the spread of billionaires using their money to decide on who wins the Premiership?
Old 10-17-05, 01:31 PM

Lehmann is a great keeper. You don't go unbeaten with a scrub in goal. The defense is not up to scratch, though, even if Pascal Cygan is the team's second-leading scorer.

Besides selling Vieira, the following players have had extended absences through injury:

Cole
Ljungberg
van Persie
Hleb
Henry
Campbell
Bergkamp

I'd say that explains Arsenal's sucking. On the other hand, they're top of the group in the Champions League, looking good there early for the first time in a while.
Bear in mind I didn't say Lehmann was a "scrub", I just said he wasn't the greatest. He was certainly a washout at AC Milan, facing a much more intimidating set of attackers each week in Serie A than he'll ever face in the Premiership. And I would contend that injury problems are indicative of an aging squad, not a contrary reason for lack of success.
Old 10-17-05, 03:41 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
The league is done for sure, as Chelsea will take it, no question its a matter of the rest of the top 4 then.

Wigan being 4th is nuts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.