Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

How Will The Saints Do This Season?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: How will the Saints do this season?
12-4, Super Bowl bound
2.56%
10-6, division winners
2.56%
8-8, out of the playoffs
17.95%
6-10, bottom of the division
38.46%
4-12, complete collapse
38.46%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disclaimer: I understand that all of this is insignificant in the face of the overwhelming tragedy of Hurricane Katrina, and that the win/loss record of a professional sports team is certainly not the most important topic of discussion at this point.

But this is a unique situation from a sports standpoint. How will the Saints react? They were already a very inconsistent team... I mean, the talent has always been there, but they've never played with heart and consistency. They have a great running back, a good quarterback, excellent receivers, a strong defensive line... they have all the pieces to go all the way, frankly, but how will this tragedy effect them? Will they pull together and unite behind the region to dominate the division? Will they struggle as the players try to deal with the deaily heartache and the mass chaos? Or will they muddle somewhere in the middle?
Old 09-05-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rotoworld:

WDSU in New Orleans reports that the Saints will play their home games this season in San Antonio and will not refund ticket holders in New Orleans.

I heard that this might be a permanent move. Kind of sucks that no refunds will be given, especially how ticket holders might need the money now.
Old 09-05-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's 8-8. My money was on that before the Hurricane. They still have a questionable LB core, so even with their slightly improved defensive backfield, I think they are still going to struggle on that side of the ball. The O line should be better than ever, which can only be great for McAllister. Brooks is Dr Jekyll, and Donte Stallworth has still not proven that he can consistently catch the ball. Personally, I think the loss of Jerome Pathon, who was completely underrated during his time in NO, and Boo Williams (to injury) is going to have a pretty severe impact on the passing game.

As for no refunds, in the face of all of this suffering and the outpooring of support both in the States and abroad, Tom Benson is a piece of shit. He's going to have ticket revenues for a 32 game season. Plus, the Saints will never be back in New Orleans.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 09-05-05 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-05-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing that this whole discussion hinges on is the coaching ability of Jim Haslett. In the hands of a good coach, like Parcells or Fox or Belichek, this whole disaster could be a realy rallying point -- sort of like the ultimate Ewing Theory. What the team is really lacking is dedication, and if Aaron Brooks can maintain his focus, and if the linebackers and linemen all do their jobs...

Then again, any time that a whole discussion hinges on the coaching ability of Jim Haslett...
Old 09-05-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Then again, any time that a whole discussion hinges on the coaching ability of Jim Haslett...
Yipe!
Old 09-05-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
How can they not refund the season ticket holders? Wouldn't that basically be stealing, since they are not getting what they paid for?

As for the Saints, i think they will be mediocre as always.
Old 09-05-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4-12 is what I picked,there division is going to be better then last year but I dont think this team will be with what has happened,some of those players are going to lose family members that have yet to be found and im thinking football will not be on there mind's this year,plus they will be playing 16 road games reguardless of where they play.

IMO the NFL should award the saints the #1 pick no matter there record,they didnt ask for this to happen and its not there fault.
Old 09-05-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
4-12 is whtI voted for but I say 3-13 I doubt any one could regroup in ~2 weeks
Old 09-05-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ted koppel just did an update during the FSU-Miami game and suggested that the Superdome might have to come down.
Old 09-05-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
saints first game has been moved to monday night starting at 7:30
will air on nbc until the scheduled monday night game starts at 9.. then the saints/giants will go to espn
Old 09-05-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
saints first game has been moved to monday night starting at 7:30
will air on nbc until the scheduled monday night game starts at 9.. then the saints/giants will go to espn
clarification... their first game is still next Sunday. Their first home game (originally scheduled for Sunday 9/18) will be Monday 9/19 (in New Jersey).
Old 09-05-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
So i guess the Saints fans in other parts of the state don't have to worry about any blackouts this season.
Old 09-05-05, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
clarification... their first game is still next Sunday. Their first home game (originally scheduled for Sunday 9/18) will be Monday 9/19 (in New Jersey).
And the Giants get 9 home games this year. Go commish!
Old 09-05-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Cow
And the Giants get 9 home games this year. Go commish!
may turn out that everyone who was suppose to play at NO, gets an extra home game this year
Old 09-05-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

may turn out that everyone who was suppose to play at NO, gets an extra home game this year
Looks from all indications that starting with the second home game they'll be playing in San Antonio.

And it's pretty obvious they're never going back to play in New Orleans.
Old 09-05-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

has there been any talk about the future of the team?
i know some other cities would be glad to take them over....
Old 09-06-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I went with 4-12. Like the OP mentioned, the Saints have always seemed to be an easily distracted team, playing below their ability level. I'm expecting a complete collapse. Granted, it would be a great story for the Saints to play well, but I don't think these guys are up to it.
Old 09-06-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

has there been any talk about the future of the team?
i know some other cities would be glad to take them over....
The NFL says that it isn't the time to be talking about the future of the Saints. What they mean is that it isn't the time for the media to be talking. I will guarantee you that Tom Benson, Paul Tagliabue, and some folks with cash are going to be talking their asses off if they aren't already. Louisiana wouldn't give him a new stadium before the disaster, and they won't be able to now even if the dome is leveled. He's out of there.
Old 09-06-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if Gov. Blanco is saying the Dome is going to have to come down, the Saints aren't really going to have any choice but to leave New Orleans for good.

I just don't think any team can overcome what they're going to be dealing with this season. From concern about the devastation of their home city to having to play at least one "home game" in the visitor's stadium to potentially training in one city (San Antonio) and playing some "home" games in another (Baton Rouge, potentially) to all the questions that are going to circle around this franchise about a permanent move to who knows where.

It's just too much to overcome. I predict total collapse, personally.
Old 09-06-05, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan
I predict total collapse, personally.
So you predict a normal year
Old 09-06-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
So you predict a normal year

Old 09-07-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

San Antonio has been waiting for an NFL team for a long time. We are a small media market, but a top 10 city population wise. We have a proven rabid fanbase in the San Antonio Spurs, and I firmly believe that we would welcome and embrace an NFL team.

I say just move 'em here.

The San Antonio Saints. Sounds pretty good, eh?
Old 09-07-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

drive to houston you greedy bastards.
Old 09-07-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Los Angeles would be the next logical choice. The Saints were already talking about moving there anyway.

BUT DON"T FORGET -- it's New Orleans' turn to win the NFC South.

2002 -- Tampa Bay
2003 -- Carolina
2004 -- Atlanta
2005 -- ?????
Old 09-07-05, 03:58 PM
Banned

They may not be playing in New Orleans for a long time..if ever...send them to LA

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.