Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Poker is not a sport!!!! (TV rant)

Old 08-02-05, 08:38 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: in Bush territory!
Posts: 11,613
Poker is not a sport!!!! (TV rant)

[sigh] I think I've just about seen enough poker on TV. Don't get me wrong, I love the game of poker and play just about every other weekend. But let's get one thing straight.....POKER IS NOT A SPORT! Anything you can do with a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of Bud in the other while sitting down.....IS NOT A SPORT. And yes Mr. Dan Hernandez.....this includes Sportfishing!

My biggest gripe is the main sports channels (ESPN, Foxsports, etc.) airing tournaments in the middle of the day. I guess they have to make up for the vast open airtime with the loss of hockey and disinterest in the WNBA. But enough is enough already. I swear there must be like 3 or 4 poker shows on every freakin' day! At least they could relegate them to late night hours along side bowling, darts, and billiards.

Making poker players like Annie Duke and Phil Ivy seem like stars such as ARod and Kobey Bryant is just not right. What's next? Sportcooking? Competitive Video Gaming? Personally, I could care less if Lederer has the Ace or the Queen. I would much rather see Coco Crisp getting thrown out at homeplate, or Maria Sharapova trying not to look sexy on the tennis court.

Oh, and DON'T TELL ME I'M IN THE WRONG FORUM!!!

Last edited by wabio; 08-02-05 at 05:50 PM.
wabio is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 08:49 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
I couldn't care less. I'm not at home during the day, and there isn't much going on a summer weekday anyhow.

There are plenty of things for me to bitch about ESPN. Poker (the amount of coverage) is not one of them.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 08:58 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by wabio
[sigh] Making poker players like Annie Duke and Phil Ivy seem like stars such as ARod and Kobey Bryant is just not right.
Your right, Phil Ivey would have to rape someone in order to be as much of a star as kobe bryant is.

I don't understand how it's not a sport. These guys practise, albeit in a different way, and prepare for there events as much as any athlete does, and it is a competition...so why not call it a sport?
mautos is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 09:04 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Columbia, MD, USA
Posts: 11,140
Originally Posted by wabio

My biggest gripe is the main sports channels (ESPN, Foxsports, etc.) airing tournaments in the middle of the day. I guess they have to make up for the vast open airtime with the loss of hockey and disinterest in the WNBA.

Nah, ESPN would never show hockey even when they had actual games
Jericho is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 09:10 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,161
Nascar is not a real sport, if it is, I should be on ESPN because I know how to drive.
ElementZ is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 09:17 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
Originally Posted by ElementZ
Nascar is not a real sport, if it is, I should be on ESPN because I know how to drive.
you know how to run too, but they havent invited you to many olympic track events either
twikoff is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 09:27 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,196
Originally Posted by wabio
What's next?
Please don't ask that question.
flagstone is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:01 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,012
Originally Posted by wabio
[sigh] What's next? Competitive Video Gaming?
Welcome to 1997.

http://www.thecpl.com/league/

Last edited by Ghym; 08-02-05 at 11:06 AM.
Ghym is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:01 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Competitive cooking has been around for some time as well.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:07 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 182
Lets not forget Iron Chef!
Naan is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:09 AM
  #11  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,857
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Competitive cooking has been around for some time as well.
Yes, but there's a separate channel for that.

Poker's a fad. It will go away, to be replaced by probably something much worse, like pie-eating contests or marmoset racing.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:12 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
I don't think poker is a fad. The addition of the card cameras made it an attractive property for television.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:16 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Yes, but there's a separate channel for that.

Poker's a fad. It will go away, to be replaced by probably something much worse, like pie-eating contests or marmoset racing.
Marmoset racing is not a fad.

Damn, city folk.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:18 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
IDrinkMolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DE
Posts: 3,854
What if Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong played poker on TV, would that be a sport?
IDrinkMolson is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:18 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,214
Originally Posted by mautos
I don't understand how it's not a sport. These guys practise, albeit in a different way, and prepare for there events as much as any athlete does, and it is a competition...so why not call it a sport?
It's a game. It's an entertaining game, but it's a game. Is Hearts a sport? Is Bridge a sport? Is Monopoly a sport? Is Quake a sport? They're all entertaining and could all conceivably make for interesting television, but they're really just games.

For the record I think car racing (no matter how boring) is a sport.
Mordred is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:18 AM
  #16  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,857
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't think poker is a fad. The addition of the card cameras made it an attractive property for television.
You might be right about that, but surely you don't think televised poker will remain as popular as it is currently?
wendersfan is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:23 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally Posted by wendersfan
You might be right about that, but surely you don't think televised poker will remain as popular as it is currently?

I think the big events will continue in their popularity. The little events? Yeah, they might go away.

I expect there to be a 24/7 gambling channel in the future.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:26 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,921
Right now the poker shows are garnering big ratings so I don't blame the networks for airing it as much as possible.

My oppinion is that it won't be able to substain the ratings and popularity that it is currently enjoying.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 11:26 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,921
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I expect there to be a 24/7 gambling channel in the future.
I'm up for that.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 12:02 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,635
We wonder why america is obese when while other countries are showing sports like cycling and soccer, while the US shows poker and competetive eating.

I think poker should have its own channel, or go on the game show network.
grrrah is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 12:10 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally Posted by grrrah

I think poker should have its own channel, or go on the game show network.


Sounds like the Futurama fans who complained about NFL games running over on FOX, saying that no sports should be on network tv.

I think it is all pretty funny. Do people want to watch ESPN 24/7? I also might remind everyone what the 'E' in ESPN stands for.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 12:12 PM
  #22  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
I agree, drives me nuts as well. But then again ESPN is the Entertainment and Sports Network.

Though I don't even think playing poker is entertaining, much less watching it on TV.
Josh H is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 12:14 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,317
My only problem w/ poker right now is the fucking sunglasses.
B.A. is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 12:15 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by Mordred
It's a game. It's an entertaining game, but it's a game. Is Hearts a sport? Is Bridge a sport? Is Monopoly a sport? Is Quake a sport? They're all entertaining and could all conceivably make for interesting television, but they're really just games.

For the record I think car racing (no matter how boring) is a sport.
Baseball is a game, football is a game, hockey is a game...all of these started out as games. How do these games have the distinction of being sports and not poker?

The dictionary.com definition of a sport is:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Poker players playing at a final table for 13 hours are wiped both physically and mentally at the end of it, and they have a plethora of skill. Also there are a set of rules. So to me that sounds exactly like a sport. Plus you know what, it's nice to see a sport where someone has to play well to earn their money. there are no contracts, no bonuses...just you against your opponents and whoever plays better gets paid.
mautos is offline  
Old 08-02-05, 12:16 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Though I don't even think playing poker is entertaining, much less watching it on TV.

That's what I say - only about soccer.
Red Dog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.