Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: The Summer 2012 Olympics goes to.....
Paris
69.70%
New York
21.21%
Moscow
3.03%
Madrid
3.03%
London
3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Who will win 2012 Summer Olympics?

Old 07-04-05, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Paris or London would be nice, but I'm leaning towards NYC.
Paris will be nice. I'm amazed that anyone thinks elsewhere will be served.
Old 07-04-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I was always under the impression that the Special Olympics were awarded to the Olympic city AFTER the Olympics were done.
no, that's the Paralympics.
Old 07-06-05, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NYC and Moscow have officially been eliminated from the running. Host city is supposedly going to be announced in the next hour or so.
Old 07-06-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
NYC and Moscow have officially been eliminated from the running. Host city is supposedly going to be announced in the next hour or so.
Madrid also have been eliminated. Its down to Paris and London.

Announcement to be made in less than eight minutes.

LB...
Old 07-06-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And the winner is........

London, England!!!!

LB...
Old 07-06-05, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

London voted as Olympic host for first time since '48

July 6, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SINGAPORE -- London was awarded the 2012 Olympics on Wednesday, defeating European rival Paris in the final round of voting to take the Games back to the British capital for the first time since 1948.

After Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated in the first three rounds, London beat its cross-Channel opponent on the fourth ballot of the International Olympic Committee vote -- capping the most glamorous and hotly contested bid race in Olympic history.

Moscow was eliminated in the first round of the International Olympic Committee's secret vote, followed by New York in the second and Madrid in the third.

That left the French and British capitals to go head-to-head in the fourth and final round.

After that ballot, the IOC declared that a winner had been elected. IOC president Jacques Rogge will announce the result at an official ceremony.

Longtime favorite Paris, led by President Jacques Chirac, said it had learned from past defeats and come up with the right formula to bring the Games back to the French capital for the first time since 1924.

"The heart of Paris and the heart of France are beating in unison in the hope of becoming Olympic host in 2012," Chirac told the delegates earlier in the day. "You can put your trust and faith in France, you can trust the French, you can trust us."

New York made an emotional case for taking the Games to the Big Apple for the first time, with a star-studded delegation -- including Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Muhammad Ali and a taped message from President George W. Bush -- citing the city's long tradition of welcoming the world.

The presentation, however, failed to sway voters.

Neither did Russian President Vladimir Putin's pitch.

Speaking in English publicly for the first time, Putin appeared in a video message appealing to the IOC to make a "unique and historic" decision by giving the Games to Moscow.

Moscow's bid has been undermined by security worries after terrorist attacks connected to the conflict in the Russian province of Chechnya. Chechen rebel warlord Shamil Basayev warned on Tuesday in a statement posted on a separatist website that athletes would not be safe if Moscow hosted the 2012 Olympics.

London, which last held the Games in 1948, centers its bid on the massive urban renewal of a dilapidated area of East London. It's the fourth bid from Britain after failed attempts by Birmingham for the 1992 Olympics and Manchester for 1996 and 2000.

"We have learned from each of the three previous bids," British IOC member Craig Reedie said in the presentation. "We understand the recipe for magical Games."

Prime Minister Tony Blair, who spent two days of lobbying in Singapore before leaving to host the G8 summit in Scotland, spoke in a video message -- half of which was delivered in French, one of the IOC's two official languages.

"My promise to you is we will be your very best partners," Blair said. "The entire government are united behind this bid. ... It is the nation's bid."

London's film featured scenes of Queen Elizabeth II, famous tourist sites, hotels, and West End theaters. Another video showed young children around the world watching a London Games in 2012 on television and feeling inspired to compete themselves.

Spain's Queen Sofia, whose husband King Juan Carlos competed in sailing at the 1972 Munich Olympics, and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero pushed for Madrid.

With its ouster in the voting, Madrid remains the only major European capital which hasn't hosted the Olympics. Another Spanish city, Barcelona, held the 1992 games. Madrid's videos featured flamenco dancers, as well as Hollywood stars Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz, singer Julio Iglesias and tenor Placido Domingo.

Madrid officials, responding to members' questions, downplayed threats from the Basque extremist group ETA, which has carried out bomb attacks near proposed Olympic venues.

Paris is bidding for the third time in 20 years after defeats for the 1992 and 2008 Olympics -- and the IOC tends to reward persistence. The French capital has a ready-to-go Olympic stadium in the Stade de France and embraces the IOC's blueprint for controlling the size and cost of the games.

Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoe said the city had learned from its failed bids.

"Each experience has taught us something and each disappointment has only served to reinforce our determination," he said.

The Paris presentation featured a slick video directed by film director Luc Besson. It began with a bird's eye view of the city, with the camera floating over famous landmarks.

AP NEWS

I thought the mainland would get it - oh well, I won't lose any sleep tonight.

The French shouldn't be mad - they recently hosted a Winter Olympiad.
Old 07-06-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I prefer London, but feel badly for Paris, they've lost 3 bids in 20 years and I think this was London's first in the same period of time.

Even though these were the top choices going in, you also know people get paid off, so none of this ever seems on the up and up anyway.

Are they choosing the cities a lot earlier than they used to? I mean, 7 years is a long time and nothing for me to get excited about.

But I could have sworn that I was in a hotel just north of Atlanta in, I believe, 1990 when they were awarded the 1994 games. So we've gone from 4 years notice to 7. Nearly double. Maybe in another 10 years, they'll be choosing the city for the 3000 games.

I feel bad for the Olympians who have to go to London, as the "clearly" there is no good food there.
Old 07-06-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

I guess not only Americans dislike the French.
Old 07-06-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I prefer London, but feel badly for Paris, they've lost 3 bids in 20 years and I think this was London's first in the same period of time.

Even though these were the top choices going in, you also know people get paid off, so none of this ever seems on the up and up anyway.

Are they choosing the cities a lot earlier than they used to? I mean, 7 years is a long time and nothing for me to get excited about.

But I could have sworn that I was in a hotel just north of Atlanta in, I believe, 1990 when they were awarded the 1994 games. So we've gone from 4 years notice to 7. Nearly double. Maybe in another 10 years, they'll be choosing the city for the 3000 games.

I feel bad for the Olympians who have to go to London, as the "clearly" there is no good food there.

I was thinking the games in Atlanta were in 1996.
Old 07-06-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And I think French President Jacques Chirac's very disparaging remarks about English and Finnish cuisine may have been surprisingly very crucial in London winning the bid. In short, Chirac's arrogance didn't go over well with IOC members, to say the least.
Old 07-06-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i was looking forward to seeing Olympic Tennis on clay at Roland Garros. Now I'll have to watch it on "grass" at "Wimbledon"
Old 07-06-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I was thinking the games in Atlanta were in 1996.
which would make more sense
96 - 00 - 04 - 08 -12
Old 07-06-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you recall, there was a huge scandal sometime between Sydney and Salt Lake City about how votes were paid off ... and the corruption went pretty far back with old voters admitting that they got free cosmetic surgery, college tutition for their kids ... etc.

A lot of people stepped down and a lot of corruption was rooted out. Do I think it's completely rooted out?

I like to believe it is.
Old 07-06-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The cities need a long lead time of 7-8 years so that they can plan for the event. Often times, an "olympic stadium" will need to be contructed as well as tracks, pools, fields, hotels, etc. This infrastructure takes alot longer than four years to plan and complete, and many cities start planning for these events even before they win the bid.

I remember reading about this when Pittsburgh made a not so serious bid for the 2008 games, due to all our newer sports facilities.
Old 07-06-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never really analyzed the voting before, but I found thise year's IOC coting to be a little odd. For those that don't know, essentially the way it works this way. All IOC members vote, except those whose country is eligible to be picked. After each round the lowest city is eliminated (forcing all those who voted for the loser to pick a new city and allowing for the eliminated country's IOC members to now vote). The results:

Round 1
London 22
Paris 21
Madrid 20
New York 19
Moscow 15

Even though Paris was the supposed favorite, they didn't show it here. In fact the top four choices are in a virtual dead heat as the "first choice" of IOC members

Round 2
Madrid 32
London 27
Paris 25
Madrid 32
New York 16

New York actually managed to lose three votes, I'm not sure how, and Madrid moves into the lead.

Round 3
London 39
Paris 33
Madrid 31

Again, a city loses votes. This time it was Madrid, which lost 1 vote after it has won round 2. How did that happen?

Round 4
London 54
Paris 50

And London wins after leading in two of the previous rounds. For a supposed favorite, Paris never seemed all that strong
Old 07-06-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
which would make more sense
96 - 00 - 04 - 08 -12

or

Clinton - Bush - Bush - Clinton - Clinton