DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Madden moves to NBC's Sunday Night Football in 2006.. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/426969-madden-moves-nbcs-sunday-night-football-2006-a.html)

Deftones 06-15-05 04:03 PM

Madden moves to NBC's Sunday Night Football in 2006..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2085825

raven56706 06-15-05 04:11 PM

Madden belongs on Fox

gilbertr76 06-15-05 04:41 PM

I would prefer hearing Frank Caliendo impersonating Madden for the broadcasts than hearing Madden himself...

B.A. 06-15-05 05:05 PM

I'm sure they will leave Costas in his permanent studio seat and go and get someone outside of the network for the play-by-play.

Bose Pro 06-15-05 05:39 PM

I just want MNF back on ABC...

correction... on NON-CABLE TV

Red Dog 06-15-05 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bose Pro
I just want MNF back on ABC...

correction... on NON-CABLE TV

Well you are getting SNF on non-cable starting in '06.

2 questions, both brought up on PTI. Will ABC can Madden now for '05? With a 6-year NBC deal, how bad will Madden be (he has been slipping IMO) when he is 76 and at the end of that contract?

Red Dog 06-15-05 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
I'm sure they will leave Costas in his permanent studio seat and go and get someone outside of the network for the play-by-play.

I said in the other thread that I think NBC might try to get Marv Albert back.

Deftones 06-15-05 06:34 PM

What NBC needs to do is get MLB back and have Costas doing weekly games. :drool:

johnglass 06-16-05 05:43 AM

Chris Berman would be good in the booth, but probably better at Al Michaels job.

Red Dog 06-16-05 09:06 AM

Please, god no, not Berman.

Aphex Twin 06-16-05 02:44 PM

I liked Dennis Miller. Bill Walton taking a shot at football would be cool also.

chrisih8u 06-16-05 02:47 PM

I dont mind Berman doing recap shows like NFL Prime Time or Sportscenter, but he's awful in the booth.

gilbertr76 06-16-05 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
I liked Dennis Miller. Bill Walton taking a shot at football would be cool also.
:wtf:

-screwy-

dick_grayson 06-16-05 03:01 PM

Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser would be great. I've always like Madden.

Red Dog 06-16-05 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Bill Walton taking a shot at football would be cool also.

There's a sure-fire way to generate use of the mute button for 3+ hours.

Aphex Twin 06-16-05 03:47 PM

Bill Walton is entertaining. I'd tune in just to hear him. Just have 2 other serious broadcasters and him and see if they lose their cool. :lol:

Red Dog 06-16-05 03:49 PM

What I really want to hear in the booth someday is a handicapper breaking down all the odds/props during the game. Al Michaels seems to be the only sports broadcaster to acknowledge that there is gambling in this country.

edytwinky 06-16-05 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by johnglass
Chris Berman would be good in the booth, but probably better at Al Michaels job.

Berman needs to stick to the regular TV shows like Prime Time and SC.

kurupt 06-17-05 06:53 PM

I've never been a big fan of Madden. His commentary seems to be directed at those who have never watched a football game in their life. One of the more unfortunate aspects of his popularity is that all the up-and-coming commentators (usually ex-offensive linemen for some odd reason) are directly ripping off his style, from his vocal inflections to his trademark sound effects. Dan Dierdorf (ABC's biggest mistake was letting him go), Moose Johnston, Theisman, and even Troy Aikman are much better than Madden has ever been, in my opinion. The last couple years of the Madden/Summerall team were embarrasingly unbearable.

Red Dog 06-17-05 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by kurupt
I've never been a big fan of Madden. His commentary seems to be directed at those who have never watched a football game in their life.

I give Madden a lot of credit. He was the first commentator to bring an Xs and Os mentality to the viewers. He dissected line play. Granted, innovations in production (the telestrator) was a major part of it.

Nothing beat watching a Summerall/Madden NFC East game on CBS in the late 80s. Greatest broadcast duo ever.

That being said, he is on a steep decline.

shizawn 06-17-05 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Nothing beat watching a Summerall/Madden NFC East game on CBS in the late 80s. Greatest broadcast duo ever.

Agreed. I was never a fan of any of those teams, but I always looked forward to Redskins/Cowboys games on CBS because of Madden/Summerall.

POWERBOMB 06-19-05 01:01 AM

As bad as Madden may seem, there are worse announcers out there. Maybe I'm too use to hearing Madden call a game.

chrisih8u 07-13-05 09:14 AM

July 13, 2005 -- Cris Collinsworth is leaving Fox Sports to join NBC's 2006 Sunday Night NFL package, network executives told The Post yesterday. An official announcement is expected today.
Collinsworth is the second big-name analyst NBC has added for its football coverage. Earlier, John Madden was signed to a six-year, $24 million deal to be the main game analyst. Collinsworth is expected to work in NBC's studio.

Though Fox could have retained Collinsworth for this upcoming year, it decided instead to relinquish his rights. Fox plans on going with a two-man team of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman beginning this season.

"We are confident that [Aikman] and Joe Buck will become the NFL's top broadcasting team," Fox Sports president Ed Goren said.

Collinsworth did not return a call yesterday. NBC Sports vice president Mike McCarley declined comment.

Collinsworth will most likely be partnered with Bob Costas during NBC's Sunday Night pre-game show. Each won Sports Emmys this year as studio analysts. The duo already works together on HBO's "Inside the NFL."

The next question facing NBC is who will be Madden's partner in the booth. A network executive said yesterday that Al Michaels is weighing offers between NBC and ESPN. NBC is offering less money and is reluctant to grant Michaels use of his own private plane for games, a perk he has recently had with ABC.

ESPN wants to keep Michaels in the Disney family to maintain the profile of Monday Night Football when it moves to cable in 2006. It seems more willing to lavish Michaels with perks, including the private jet clause. NBC has something that ESPN can't offer, which is two Super Bowls and postseason games every year. On ESPN, Michaels would just call Monday Night games.

Michaels and Madden will close out ABC's football package with the Super Bowl this season.

As for Collinsworth, he is likely to do more than just football at NBC. During his first run with NBC, Collinsworth was the network's track reporter at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. His new deal is believed to have an Olympic component.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/25889.htm

Red Dog 07-13-05 09:40 AM

I'd really like to see Michaels move to NBC so they can utilize his talents for the Olympics.

LorenzoL 07-13-05 10:03 AM

OMG! Buck and Aikman :yack: