Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB -- Saturday May 7

Old 05-07-05, 08:04 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Beverly, MA
Posts: 5,506
MLB -- Saturday May 7

Friday, May 6, 2005
RESULTWINLOSSSAVEATT.
Philadelphia 3, at Chicago Cubs 2Wagner (1-0) Hawkins (1-3) 38,767
at Boston 7, Seattle 2Clement (4-0) Moyer (4-1) 35,229
Oakland 6, at NY Yankees 3Dotel (1-0) Rivera (2-2) Calero (1) 47,973
Chicago Sox 5, at Toronto 3Hernandez (4-1) Frasor (1-2) Hermanson (5) 21,769
Los Angeles 13, at Cincinnati 6Penny (2-0) Wilson (1-3) 29,409
Minnesota 7, at Tampa Bay 1Santana (5-1) Brazelton (1-6) 8,884
at Baltimore 3, Kansas City 1Ponson (4-1) Bautista (2-2) Ryan (6) 30,568
at Atlanta 9, Houston 4Smoltz (3-3) Oswalt (4-3) 26,987
at Florida 7, Colorado 0Willis (6-0) Kennedy (1-4) 21,566
NY Mets 7, at Milwaukee 4Zambrano (2-3) Davis (3-4) Looper (7) 21,067
Cleveland 8, at Texas 6Lee (3-1) Astacio (1-4) Wickman (8) 30,742
San Diego 6, at St. Louis 5Williams (1-0) Flores (1-1) Hoffman (7) 47,160
at Arizona 8, Pittsburgh 4Vazquez (4-2) Perez (1-4) 24,056
at LA Angels 4, Detroit 3Escobar (1-1) Ledezma (1-3) Rodriguez (8) 44,022
Washington 9, at San Francisco 3Rauch (1-1) Lowry (1-3) 40,425

Saturday, May 7, 2005
TEAMSTIME (ET)NAT TVXM RADIOSTAT PACKTICKETSPITCHERS
Oakland at NY Yankees1:05 PM XM 176PrintTicketsBlanton vs Mussina
Chicago Sox at Toronto1:07 PM XM 179PrintTicketsGarland vs Lilly
Los Angeles at Cincinnati1:15 PM XM 188PrintTicketsLowe vs Ortiz
San Diego at St. Louis2:15 PM XM 187PrintTicketsEaton vs Carpenter
Philadelphia at Chicago Cubs2:20 PM XM 186PrintTicketsLieber vs Rusch
Washington at San Francisco4:05 PM XM 188PrintTicketsPatterson vs Schmidt
Kansas City at Baltimore4:35 PM XM 178PrintTicketsLima vs Chen
Colorado at Florida6:05 PM XM 183PrintTicketsChacon vs Beckett
Minnesota at Tampa Bay6:15 PM XM 180PrintTicketsLohse vs Kazmir
Seattle at Boston7:05 PM XM 177PrintTicketsPineiro vs Gonzalez
NY Mets at Milwaukee7:05 PM XM 185PrintTicketsMartinez vs de la Rosa
Houston at Atlanta7:05 PM XM 184PrintTicketsPettitte vs Ramirez
Cleveland at Texas8:05 PM XM 181PrintTicketsElarton vs Drese
Pittsburgh at Arizona9:40 PM XM 189PrintTicketsFogg vs Ortiz
Detroit at LA Angels10:05 PM XM 182PrintTicketsBonderman vs Colon
huh? is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 08:07 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Beverly, MA
Posts: 5,506

2005 American League Standings
EASTWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRASTRKL10
Baltimore199.679-10-79-2154122Won 28-2
Boston1712.5862.57-410-8157126Won 46-4
Toronto1614.53345-711-7141136Lost 27-3
Tampa Bay1119.367910-91-10142187Lost 13-7
NY Yankees1119.36797-114-8152173Lost 42-8
CENTRALWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRASTRKL10
Chicago Sox227.759-11-311-413091Won 67-3
Minnesota1711.6074.59-58-6136105Won 27-3
Cleveland1216.4299.53-89-8108129Won 14-6
Detroit1216.4299.56-86-8139124Lost 44-6
Kansas City722.241152-125-10102154Lost 42-8
WESTWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRASTRKL10
LA Angels1811.621-9-59-6131111Won 57-3
Texas1515.5003.56-109-5159160Lost 15-5
Oakland1415.48347-87-7108131Won 15-5
Seattle1217.41464-108-7116126Lost 63-7
2005 National League Standings
EASTWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRASTRKL10
Atlanta1811.621-11-57-612999Won 37-3
Florida1610.615.59-67-412977Won 17-3
Washington1613.55227-69-7126125Won 26-4
NY Mets1614.5332.511-55-9141134Won 35-5
Philadelphia1317.4335.56-77-10122148Won 14-6
CENTRALWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRASTRKL10
St. Louis1810.643-8-710-3135112Lost 25-5
Milwaukee1414.50048-76-7133118Lost 17-3
Chicago Cubs1216.42966-66-10133133Lost 63-7
Pittsburgh1117.39373-98-895144Lost 15-5
Houston1117.393710-51-12119118Lost 43-7
Cincinnati1018.35787-73-11124166Lost 81-9
WESTWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRASTRKL10
Los Angeles1810.643-9-59-5149119Won 15-5
Arizona1812.600112-56-7136137Won 16-4
San Diego1614.533310-46-10136130Won 57-3
San Francisco1414.50048-76-7141145Lost 36-4
Colorado620.231115-61-14118161Lost 91-9
huh? is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 08:15 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,926
Oh great! Lilly is pitching against the best team in baseball.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 08:17 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Beverly, MA
Posts: 5,506
It's not looking like they will play the Red Sox - Mariners game tonight. It's supposed to rain all day and all night here. Wade Miller might have to wait until tomorrow to make his debut.
huh? is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 08:56 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,556
The Cubs try to make it seven straight!
Al Padrino is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 09:42 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 201
The Reds will go for 9 straight! The only thing that helps is that the Yankees are in last place!!!! I hope they stay in the bottom of the East all year!
COACH2369 is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 10:18 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
The Cubs try to make it seven straight!
Originally Posted by COACH2369
The Reds will go for 9 straight!
oh yea... well the rockies will try to go for 10 straight!
twikoff is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 10:40 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Posts: 30,007
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Oh great! Lilly is pitching against the best team in baseball.
As a White Sox fan I'm not yet ready to don that mantle. We all know my team's sorry history.

Things that make the Sox' record not as good as it looks:

Hitting is mediocre. The middle of the lineup in particular has an abysmal batting average. Only a few timely hits or walks by these guys have saved a few games. Last year's (until injuries) arguably three best hitters are gone or seemingly perpetually injured. The team needs to pick up a couple productive hitters. If things still look good in a couple months there needs to be an all out effort to bolster that lineup and go for it all.

One run games: The record is now 12-3. It's very unlikely that pace can be kept up.

How will the team deal with adversity which is bound to come? They absorbed a three game losing streak last week and have won six in a row since so the first test of that was passed. But I'm not convinced.

West coast trips: they've been particularly dismal in recent years. Their one trip so far to Oakland gave them their only losing series of the year so far, 1-2.

Obviously their strength so far this year is pitching (and much improved defense). The five starters have been stellar with almost every game a quality start, keeping the bullpen well rested and strong. But they have yet to find a genuine closer. Takatsu has eight saves but is looking not at all solid. I think Hermanson (5 saves now) may emerge. If not, this could be a problem. And it's also unlikely the starters will continue at this pace.

I will say one thing. Very good pitching and mediocre hitting is far preferable to very good hitting and mediocre pitching (the Sox' situation in the recent past). I'm guardedly hopeful.
movielib is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 10:56 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,852
Originally Posted by movielib
One run games: The record is now 12-3. It's very unlikely that pace can be kept up.

Probably right about that pace. However, winning teams always have winning records in 1 run games. Those are the ones you need to win to be a playoff team.
Deftones is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 11:09 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Posts: 5,667
Originally Posted by huh?
It's not looking like they will play the Red Sox - Mariners game tonight. It's supposed to rain all day and all night here. Wade Miller might have to wait until tomorrow to make his debut.
I thought that was the plan all along. Didn't Theo announce on Tues. or Wed. that Miller would start on Sunday.......?
Jobronie is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 11:11 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,628
Hi.
Third Baseman is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 11:15 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,926
Originally Posted by movielib
As a White Sox fan I'm not yet ready to don that mantle. We all know my team's sorry history.

Things that make the Sox' record not as good as it looks:

Hitting is mediocre. The middle of the lineup in particular has an abysmal batting average. Only a few timely hits or walks by these guys have saved a few games. Last year's (until injuries) arguably three best hitters are gone or seemingly perpetually injured. The team needs to pick up a couple productive hitters. If things still look good in a couple months there needs to be an all out effort to bolster that lineup and go for it all.

One run games: The record is now 12-3. It's very unlikely that pace can be kept up.

How will the team deal with adversity which is bound to come? They absorbed a three game losing streak last week and have won six in a row since so the first test of that was passed. But I'm not convinced.

West coast trips: they've been particularly dismal in recent years. Their one trip so far to Oakland gave them their only losing series of the year so far, 1-2.

Obviously their strength so far this year is pitching (and much improved defense). The five starters have been stellar with almost every game a quality start, keeping the bullpen well rested and strong. But they have yet to find a genuine closer. Takatsu has eight saves but is looking not at all solid. I think Hermanson (5 saves now) may emerge. If not, this could be a problem. And it's also unlikely the starters will continue at this pace.

I will say one thing. Very good pitching and mediocre hitting is far preferable to very good hitting and mediocre pitching (the Sox' situation in the recent past). I'm guardedly hopeful.
What I meant to say was the team with the best record right now
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 12:12 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Originally Posted by huh?
It's not looking like they will play the Red Sox - Mariners game tonight. It's supposed to rain all day and all night here.
This is how God pays the Sox back for finally getting a 1-2-3 from Foulke on Thursday...
Y2K Falcon is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 01:18 PM
  #14  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,785
Konerko hits his first homerun in about 3 weeks.

2-0 White Sox
MrX is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 01:53 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
JD Drew with a home run, 2-0 Dodgers
fumanstan is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 02:12 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
And a squeeze to make it 3-0. Woohoo.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 03:00 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,628
What Now!?!??!!

Reds Lead 4-3 In Game 7 Of The World Series!
Third Baseman is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 03:00 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Crap, bad Cincy
fumanstan is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 03:01 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,628
Ears!!!!!!!!!!!!! Homerun!!!!!!
Third Baseman is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 03:02 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,628
Sorry. After losing 8 in a row this feels like the World Series.
Third Baseman is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 03:38 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,321
Freakin' Cardinals. Aagh!!!
B.A. is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 04:11 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,556
It's starting to look like the Cubs will never win a game in May.
Al Padrino is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 04:14 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,617
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
It's starting to look like the Cubs will never win a game in May.
Aphex Twin is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 04:22 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,926
Lilly has yet to pitch a good game this season. What a bum!
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 05-07-05, 04:26 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,556
Our hitters are clutch!
Al Padrino is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.