Colorado is going to allow jurors to ask questions in Kobe's criminal case

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-17-04, 11:50 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

By STEVEN K. PAULSON, Associated Press Writer
June 16, 2004

DENVER (AP) -- When Kobe Bryant goes on trial later this year, jurors will be allowed to submit questions for witnesses in the sexual assault case under what is believed to be the first rule of its kind.

The possibility of juror questions in criminal cases is both exciting and scary to judges and attorneys.

``I'm hopeful this will be beneficial, even though I'm nervous about this. The reality is, no one knows how this will work,'' said Scott Robinson, a Denver criminal defense attorney.

Jurors have been allowed to ask questions in Colorado civil cases for the past five years, but attorneys say much more is at stake in criminal cases. The rule takes effect statewide July 1.

How jury questioning will pan out in the Bryant case is unknown. State District Judge Terry Ruckriegle will have wide latitude in deciding what questions are relevant from a jury that will be asked to decide if the Los Angeles Lakers star raped a 19-year-old resort worker last year.

Bryant, 25, has pleaded not guilty to felony sexual assault, saying the two had consensual sex. If convicted, he faces four years to life in prison, 20 years to life on probation and a fine up to $750,000.

State Supreme Court Justice Rebecca Love-Kourlis, who headed a panel that studied the issue, said other states have tried the jury question option in various forms but Colorado is the first to make it a rule.

David Graeven, the president of Trial Behavior Consulting in San Francisco, said other states are experimenting with ways to involve jurors but agreed Colorado has the nation's first rule on jury questions.

Most attorneys would rather know what jurors are thinking than guess, Graeven said Wednesday. Most now have to rely on mock juries or shadow jurors who sit in on trials and provide attorneys with feedback.

``I want to know what's going on,'' Graeven said.

Colorado judges will be trained in how to handle the new rule and will be able to bar questions in cases involving suppressed evidence and other potentially thorny legal issues. Most are expected to give jurors a chance to participate.

``Jurors for the most part have been responsible. They take the process and their oaths seriously,'' Love-Kourlis said.

The rule was adopted after a pilot program ended in 2002 with mixed results.

Jurors in the study said they felt more involved in the trial and the questions removed some of the doubt in their verdicts. Attorneys said it gave them more insight into the jury, but also opened up the potential for new challenges. Some jurors acted like junior Perry Masons.

``We had a juror who decided he could do a better job than the DA if given the opportunity. He was sending questions one after another,'' one judge complained. ``The bailiff would bring me one and he would have another ready when she got back over to the jury box.''

The judge said the questions stopped after he told the jurors they should give attorneys a chance to work and ask if something still seemed unanswered. The study said the judge's experience was unusual.

Other jurors asked about prior offenses, which are often not allowed as evidence, and one wanted to ask a witness if he thought the defendant was guilty.

Updated on Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 11:00 pm EDT

This should be interesting!

Chris
Old 06-18-04, 09:38 AM

This could be very big!

http://www.local6.com/news/3429915/d...106182004&ts=H

Bryant Lawyers Will Get To See Cell Phone Text Messages
Judge Says Messages May Be Potentially 'Highly Relevant'

POSTED: 12:27 pm EDT June 17, 2004
UPDATED: 10:23 pm EDT June 17, 2004

EAGLE, Colo. -- Cell phone text messages may play a role in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault trial.

A judge sided with Bryant's lawyers, ordering that they be allowed to see text messages sent among three people in the hours after the alleged attack last June. One of the three was Bryant's accuser.

A judge in Eagle, Colo., ruled the messages might contradict statements or testimony, making them potentially "highly relevant" in the case.

The messages will be kept sealed for the time being. It's possible the judge could later rule they're not relevant to the case. Criminal cases in Europe and Asia have hinged on text message evidence.

The Los Angeles Lakers star is accused of felony sexual assault. He says he had consensual sex with a 19-year-old resort worker in Vail, Colo. last summer.

When Bryant goes on trial later this year, jurors will also be allowed to submit questions for witnesses under what is believed to be the first rule of its kind.

Jurors already can ask questions in civil cases. But starting July 1, jurors will be able to submit questions during criminal trials.

That has judges and attorneys excited -- but a little nervous.

Scott Robinson, a criminal defense attorney in Denver familiar with the Bryant case, said jurors could open up issues Bryant's attorneys would rather avoid.

But allowing questions could help attorneys appeal to the jury by showing they're attentive to the personal concerns of jurors.

Other states have tried allowing jury questions in various forms, but Colorado is the first to make it a rule for criminal cases.

State District Judge Terry Ruckriegle will have wide latitude in deciding what questions are relevant from a jury that will be asked to decide if the NBA star raped the resort worker.

Bryant, 25, has pleaded not guilty to felony sexual assault, saying the two had consensual sex. If convicted, he faces four years to life in prison, 20 years to life on probation and a fine up to $750,000.

Chris
Old 06-18-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The question I would submit as a member of the jury would be:

"Why are you such a selfish little shot-jacking bitch?"
Old 06-18-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol. That's gold!!!

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson

Old 06-18-04, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson

HEY, it's not nice to call a woman that.... oh you were talking about Kobe. My bad!

Chris
Old 06-22-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mrpayroll
HEY, it's not nice to call a woman that.... oh you were talking about Kobe. My bad!

Chris
This trial IS about Kobe's biggest weakness-taking an ill-advised shot he should have passed on.
Old 06-22-04, 01:16 PM

If I were a juror, I would reveal a couple balls and ask him to sign them.
Old 06-26-04, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would ask him why hasn't he spent more time looking for Nicole and Goldman's killer like he promised?