Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

No draft for you!! Clarett will officially have to wait till 2005

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-24-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd just like to thank the legal system for saying it plainly and simply - this is no different than any other employer requiring x years of experience or a college degree. I may think i'm ready to be a college history professor, and I may even be right about that...but until i have that Ph.D. - it's too f'n bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1808438
Monday, May 24, 2004
Court overturns ruling barring NFL's 'three-year' rule

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Maurice Clarett lost yet another court decision in his attempt to play in the NFL next season.

An appeals court said Monday that federal labor policy allows NFL teams to set rules for when players can enter the league.

The decision by the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals was consistent with the appeals court's refusal last month to permit the former Ohio State running back into the NFL draft.

A lower court judge in February ruled Clarett eligible for the draft. It said the NFL was violating federal antitrust laws by blocking Clarett's entry into his profession with a rule barring eligibility until a player was three years out of high school. Clarett is only two years out of high school.

After the appeals court blocked Clarett's entry, saying it believed it would rule against him, the 20-year-old athlete sought help from the U.S. Supreme Court. Two justices turned him down.

On Monday, the appeals court said Clarett was "no different from the typical worker who is confident that he or she has the skills to fill a job vacancy, but does not possess the qualifications or meet the requisite criteria that have been set."

It said ruling in favor of Clarett would be deciding that professional football players were entitled to advantages under federal labor laws that transport workers, coal miners or meat packers do not enjoy.

The draft was held on April 24-25, and Clarett was ineligible for it. This ruling means he will not be eligible for a supplemental draft and will have to wait for the 2005 draft.

Clarett's attorney Alan C. Milstein told ESPN's Sal Paolontonio that on Tuesday Clarett will file a motion for the case to be heard before the entire U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit in Manhattan.

A victory by Clarett would have helped another college player: wide receiver Mike Williams of Southern California, who also tried to enter the draft despite the three-year rule.

Williams' agent, Michael Azzarelli told ESPN on Monday that he will file a separate lawsuit against NFL in Tampa alleging the NFL encouraged Williams to make himself eligible for the draft.

Azzarelli has said that Williams' NFL eligibility should be considered separately from Clarett's because he entered the draft only after the league set a new deadline for previously ineligible players in the aftermath of the ruling that made Clarett eligible.

NFL officials have said they will keep Williams out of the league along with Clarett if they're legally able to do so because they warned Williams before he entered the draft that they would attempt to overturn the decision and would rule Williams ineligible if they were able to reverse the decision.

NFL Executive Vice President Jeff Pash said in a statement that the appeals court ruling Monday "leaves no doubt that legal challenges to the NFL's long-standing eligibility rules have no basis whatsoever."

"We are grateful for the court's prompt attention to our appeal, but not at all surprised by the result, which represents a complete victory for the National Football League," he said.

In its Monday ruling, the appeals court said Clarett's case was not an instance "in which the NFL is alleged to have conspired with its players union to drive its competitors out of the market for professional football."

The lawsuit instead "reflects simply a prospective employee's disagreement with the criteria, established by the employer and the labor union, that he must meet in order to be considered for employment."

Williams forfeited his college eligibility when he signed with an agent.

Southern Cal coach Pete Carroll said the school will seek the All-American's reinstatement.

"We've been preparing for this outcome for a while," Carroll said. "Mike was aware of this possibility. He'll now look to get reinstated into college by the NCAA. The process is underway, but it will take a while.

"We're counting on the NCAA to understand the uniqueness of this situation and give Mike the opportunity to come back to school."

Clarett rushed for 1,237 yards and 16 touchdowns as a freshman in 2002, leading the Buckeyes to the national championship. He was suspended before the 2003 season for accepting money from a family friend and lying about it to NCAA and Ohio State investigators.

He also pleaded guilty in January to a misdemeanor after exaggerating the value of items stolen from a car he borrowed from a Columbus used-car dealer. He was fined $100.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Last edited by HistoryProf; 05-24-04 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-24-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now will the NBA establish a rule similar to the NFL's in regards to minimum age and college experience?
Old 05-24-04, 11:29 PM
Stealth Moderator

Oh, and hope he moves down to 3rd round, if that, next year.
Old 05-25-04, 03:23 AM
Suspended

Re: No draft for you!! Clarett will officially have to wait till 2005

Originally posted by brizz
I'd just like to thank the legal system for saying it plainly and simply - this is no different than any other employer requiring x years of experience or a college degree.
What exactly do you call the franchises having the choice to draft him or not - if they believe he doesn't have the experience or college degree (like that matters in Professional Football or for anything else) then they should pass him up and chose another player. I don't think that the courts should decide if a person can apply for a job - especially when that person would obviously find employment if allowed.

I don't why you people have so much contempt for this young man -
Old 05-25-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: No draft for you!! Clarett will officially have to wait till 2005

Originally posted by DeltaSigChi4

Because he's a dickhead.
Old 05-25-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope hope the selfish jerk gets drafted by Arizona and spends all 2 years there, bwahahahahahahaha
Old 05-25-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk God

best news Ive heard in awhile..
not because clarett is a dickhead (which he is)
but because it would have been extremely bad news for ncaa football
Old 05-25-04, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
not because clarett is a dickhead (which he is)
Nice. 2 dickhead uses in 1 thread.
Old 05-25-04, 09:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

IMO, this is a bad ruling. Not so much because of Clarett, but because the rule is unreasonably written and needs to be modified. As I understand it, under the current wording a 19 year old HS graduate would have to wait until he was 22 to play, while a 17 year old HS graduate would be eligible at 20. How exactly can they claim that the younger player should be "ready" while the older one is not? If Clarett had been ruled eligible, then the NFL might have decided to rewrite the rule into a better form.

Ouch... in looking around, this seems to be the case for Clarett. Not by such a large age difference, but "Randy Starks, who was born 12/14/83, was drafted in the 3rd round, 8th pick. Note that Maurice Clarett was born 10/29/83--HE WAS OLDER THAN Starks yet the NFL wouldn't let him participate in the draft."

It also appears that both Barry Sanders and Walter Payton were only months older than Clarett when they were drafted.

Last edited by Dead; 05-25-04 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The three year rule will be removed from the NFL, either by themselves or by the courts, soon enough. Dead brings up a good point - the rule is incredibly arbitrary.
Old 05-25-04, 02:24 PM
Retired

It's to do with the precendent it's set. College baskeball isn't as great as it used to be IMO, as so many great players skip it altogether or leave after a year or two. NBA isn't as good as we have to watch players not ready develop in the NBA as it has no minor leagues.

Most of us don't want to see the same things happen to College Football and the NFL.

Plus I'm a firm believer that any private business, club etc. should have full freedom to hire, or allow membership to their club, on their own terms. And the courts agree with this (see no gays in the BSA, no women in the Master's club etc.). I don't agree with a lot of those policies, but private groups should be free to allow/discriminate as they see fit.
Old 05-25-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

exactly....so what if it's arbitrary? it's their right to decide who they want to work for them isn't it? isn't requiring someone to have 3 years experience as a roofer arbitrary? Someone might be just starting out and a great worker with plenty of potential...but you want seasoned employees because it's a tough job...and don't want to pay to train them. how is that different?
Old 05-25-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was a great ruling - the courts finally got it right.

The reason I don't like the kid is because this isn't an issue about his wanting to play in the NFL. This is about a dickhead who screwed up big time taking benefits from boosters while in college, and now that he was caught and can't play college ball as a result, is looking to cash in on the NFL.

While I can agree that the 3 year rule is arbitrary when you look at age, it may have more to do with mental maturity than physical age. Just a thought.

Hopefully the next Collective Bargaining Agreement explicitly states the requirements for entering into the NFL draft.
Old 05-25-04, 03:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by brizz
exactly....so what if it's arbitrary? it's their right to decide who they want to work for them isn't it? isn't requiring someone to have 3 years experience as a roofer arbitrary? Someone might be just starting out and a great worker with plenty of potential...but you want seasoned employees because it's a tough job...and don't want to pay to train them. how is that different?

It's different in that the NFL doesn't require three years of post HS football, just three years out of HS. Why is it reasonable for the NFL to believe that someone with one or two years of college football isn't "ready", but someone who didn't even play college football at all can be considered "ready" simply because they graduated HS earlier (and may actually be the younger of the two individuals)? IMO, if the current rule was to ensure that teams would get "seasoned employees" they would require all players to have previous experience.

How long you've been out of HS has nothing to do with your maturity, skills, or how "ready" you are to play in the NFL. If those are the things that they really want to be certain of in a potential draftee, then wouldn't it make much more sense to write up the rule in some way that actually takes these things into account instead of using the current rule?

Last edited by Dead; 05-25-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha ha
Old 05-25-04, 05:12 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Dead
It's different in that the NFL doesn't require three years of post HS football, just three years out of HS. Why is it reasonable for the NFL to believe that someone with one or two years of college football isn't "ready", but someone who didn't even play college football at all can be considered "ready" simply because they graduated HS earlier (and may actually be the younger of the two individuals)?
Because that's not going to happen. Someone that graduates from high school, doesn't play any college ball for 3 years is never going to get drafted as no one will even be scouting him.

But I agree they should clarify the rule some, set an age limit of 20 to 21, or require 3 years of college football, just for consitency's sake.
Old 05-25-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nevermind, I suck

HA HA

Last edited by ESUguy; 05-26-04 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HA HA [/B][/QUOTE]

Ugh, I took a shitty post, and duplicated the bastard.

Last edited by ESUguy; 05-26-04 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it helps, I also have contempt for Eli "I can't do anything W/O my daddy & mommy still making draft choices 4 me" Manning.
Old 05-25-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dead
It's different in that the NFL doesn't require three years of post HS football, just three years out of HS. Why is it reasonable for the NFL to believe that someone with one or two years of college football isn't "ready", but someone who didn't even play college football at all can be considered "ready" simply because they graduated HS earlier (and may actually be the younger of the two individuals)? IMO, if the current rule was to ensure that teams would get "seasoned employees" they would require all players to have previous experience.

How long you've been out of HS has nothing to do with your maturity, skills, or how "ready" you are to play in the NFL. If those are the things that they really want to be certain of in a potential draftee, then wouldn't it make much more sense to write up the rule in some way that actually takes these things into account instead of using the current rule?
Ok....based on that logic I think i'm going to sue the federal government for mandating a legal drinking age of 21. I know many 19 and 20 year olds that are fully capable of responsibly drinking....I don't see why, since they have demonstrated as much, that they should have to wait until they are 21 to drink in a resturaunt or bar. that's unfair.
Old 05-25-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, I think what they'll do is require a minimum of 2 years college active experience...meaning a red shirt year wouldn't count. then the big stars could come out after their sophomore years if they want....but would still have 2 years under them. those that are redshirted will be 3 years removed, but still have only the 2 years experience. That's what I would do, and it would derail all of the silly semantics that go on with this.
Old 05-25-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

i think the NFL should require 4 years of military service first
Old 05-25-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Because that's not going to happen. Someone that graduates from high school, doesn't play any college ball for 3 years is never going to get drafted as no one will even be scouting him.

But I agree they should clarify the rule some, set an age limit of 20 to 21, or require 3 years of college football, just for consitency's sake.
You mean like Marcus Pollard? Actually to be fair he didn't get drafted either, but he was scouted
Old 05-26-04, 08:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

It may or may not happen, but the fact that the rule allows for it is indefensible. Either of your suggestions would make much more sense to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.