Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Going to the Yankee Stadium. Anything I MUST do/see there to complete the experience?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Going to the Yankee Stadium. Anything I MUST do/see there to complete the experience?

Old 05-08-04, 10:56 PM
Stealth Moderator

Going to NY next week. Gonna go watch the Yankees/Angels game at Yankee Stadium on Thursday. Name some things that I must see or do to complete the Yankee experience (and be nice).

BTW, this is stadium number 14 for me. 16 more to go.
Old 05-08-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Going to the Yankee Stadium. Anything I MUST do/see there to complete the experience?

Originally posted by namja
(and be nice).

*Leaving thread*
Old 05-08-04, 11:13 PM
Banned

Sell whatever crappy tickets you have and go get tickets for the right field bleachers. Roll call begins promptly after the first pitch. Remember, box seats suck.

Ride the 6 train to the stadium. It goes above ground in the Bronx and rides right by the facade before it stops.

Wear a shirt that says "1918" on it and you'll make lots of friends.

See if you can get a tour of the monuments.

Head over to Stan's Sports Bar (right across the street) and get one of these:

Old 05-08-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bust

Wear a shirt that says "1918" on it and you'll make lots of friends.

But who really wants to be friends with Yankee fans?
Old 05-09-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Indeed.
Old 05-09-04, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

wear a mets cap
Old 05-09-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In all the times I've been there (70+ times) I've never been to monument park. If I were you I would see what you need to do to get a tour of it.

Oh, and ride the subway there, it is safe, cheap and part of the experience.
Old 05-09-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Arrange to meet somebody "under the big bat".

And oh ya, go to Stan's.
Old 05-09-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by chrisih8u
exactly my thoughts!!

Bring a Red Sox flag and place in the middle of the stadium!!
Old 05-09-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wear a Red Sox hat?
Old 05-09-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
Wear a Red Sox hat?

My recommendation as well. A Yankee Stadium experience would not be complete w/o a verbal berating for 9 innings. Heck, maybe you'll even get the full treatment and get beat up.
Old 05-09-04, 03:30 PM
Stealth Moderator

I guess this is the one time that the Yankees fans are useful. Thanks Bust & Bushdog.

I don't know if I can arrange a tour, but I'll try to find out. Also, I'm gonna try my best to take the subway there, but dunno if that can happen since we're getting picked up in the morning from JFK and gonna spend some time in the city. Where would we leave the car? I guess I can ask the friend who's picking us up.
Old 05-09-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely take the subway - that's what my family and I did the one time we went to a game there. I can send you an Angels hat & shirt if you'd like (always nice to be rooting for the winning team = best record in baseball = best record on the road = first place in the AL)...

GO ANGELS!

(though I can start making excuses now - they have Erstad on the DL from yesterday - Guillen looked like he's going to go on the DL after today - Anderson & Salmon are on the DL - just need to get an injury for Vlad and Glaus and we'll be completely out of stars)
Old 05-09-04, 07:59 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Blake
I can send you an Angels hat & shirt if you'd like
Thanks for the offer, but that's too much trouble. I'll wear a red shirt though.
Old 05-09-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Next time I try to figure out which fans are the most low class, I'll think of this thread.
Old 05-09-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Bushdog
Next time I try to figure out which fans are the most low class, I'll think of this thread.

Don't get so butthurt. You knew coming into it there was going to be a ton of comments.

I'm going there in September to watch the BoSox/Yanks for 2 games with El Shorto.

I'm going to wear my D-backs hat with pride.
Old 05-09-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been to Yankee Stadium a couple of times and if you want to see Monument Park you will have to get there at least a hour early because there is usually a long line to get into Monument Park and they seem to close access to it about 30 minutes before the game starts.
Old 05-10-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just find out what time the park opens and try to get there near the time the gates open...unless it has changed...just go to lower left field seating and there is/was an entrance to monument park...it really is pretty cool.

I agree with others...take the subway (which is actually elevated) to the game. Parking is a bitch...I usually parked a few blocks away from the couthouse when I drove to games years ago.

Don't worry about the fans...99 percent are pretty cool...all the fights I have seen there are usually between 2 drunks arguing (like anywhere else). Now Shea? I had a 12 year old kid try to start a fight with me there for no reason...but what do you want from Met fans.

Take some photos and have a great time...everyone who is a baseball fan should go to the stadium at least once. A lot of history on those grounds...
Old 05-10-04, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Flashback

I agree with others...take the subway (which is actually elevated) to the game.
Be careful though, the only train to the stadium that is elevated is the "6" (green line) that runs on the East side. The "D" (orange line) also goes to Yankee Stadium from the West side and is underground the whole way. The benefit of the "D" is that it is an express and gets you there a lot faster.
Old 05-10-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Stan's is definitely a sports bar worth a visit - before the game.
Old 05-12-04, 01:22 AM
Stealth Moderator

Okay, looks like subway is out of the question. My friend has some VIP parking: supposedly RIGHT next to the stadium. I asked her about Monument Park. She said, "What is that?"

Anyway, we'll get there by 11 a.m. (that's should be good, right?). Hmmmm ... maybe I'll take the subway and get there by 11, and she and my other friend can drive there and come by game time.
Old 05-12-04, 01:29 AM
Banned

Well, the subway is nice, but it's not crucial. I wouldn't break up the party for it. What time does the game start? I hope it's an early one, or you're going to be awefully bored for a few hours.

Call the Stadium and ask them about the Monument Park tours. You're friend doesn't need to know, the stadium will.
Old 05-12-04, 01:35 AM
Stealth Moderator

It's a 1 p.m. game. I'll just go early and look. I'm gong back to NY later this summer, so maybe I'll do a tour then.
Old 05-12-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by namja
Okay, looks like subway is out of the question. My friend has some VIP parking: supposedly RIGHT next to the stadium. I asked her about Monument Park. She said, "What is that?"

Anyway, we'll get there by 11 a.m. (that's should be good, right?). Hmmmm ... maybe I'll take the subway and get there by 11, and she and my other friend can drive there and come by game time.
As Bust said...not important to take the subway if someone is driving already w/ a parking pass...if you are in the stadium by 11am and immediatley go to monument park you might still have time to get in...you will see how long of a line it is.

Here is the Yankees web site info....you may have the time. Have a blast...

MONUMENT PARK
Since 1932 the New York Yankees have honored the greatest Yankees with the construction of monuments and plaques at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees have also included a special walk honoring those Yankees who have their uniform numbers retired. Located on the Field Level Section 36 (between the bullpens and adjacent to the Loading Dock) the park opens when gates open and closes 45 minutes prior to the start of the game. The park is not open during the second game of a double header and is subject to closure during inclement weather. The New York Yankees reserve the right to regulate the closing time. Bleacher tickets restrict those fans to Bleacher seats ONLY; there is no access to Monument Park or other areas of the Stadium.
Old 05-12-04, 02:18 PM
Stealth Moderator

Flashback, good useful info. I might just go straight from the airport to Yankee Stadium. I just hope that the weather will cooperate (forecast: isolated t-storm).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.