Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

you make the call!

Old 04-13-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

you make the call!

ok.. lets play virtual manager..

first.. someone stats a situation.. can be a generic situation or one that has specific players listed..

lets stick with baseball for now..

anyone can toss out a new situation whenever they want.. and anyone can make the call on any situation posted so far, you dont have to restrict yourself to only the newest situations..

no need to try to look for holes in the situations (such as, well, this the year that the AL gets home field so the giants would be up in the bottom of the 9th in game 7, and crap like that).. and try to make your call with just the info that is given.

situation 1:

Yankees vs Giants, game 7 of the world series.
Bottom of the 9th inning.
Yanks up 2, bases loaded, 2 outs, Barry Bonds coming to the plate, Pierzynski on deck.

What do you do? (after come back conscience from finding the giants in the ws of course)
Old 04-13-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would put this pitcher in to face Bonds:

Old 04-13-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

This isn't the year that the AL gets home field. That's not decided until the All-Star game. There's a huge hole right there!
Old 04-13-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pitch to Bonds.

He's a great hitter and all, but Bonds will only get a hit about 35% of the time. If you intentionally walk him, you move the tying run to 3rd base, which can score on a passed ball or a wild pitch.
Old 04-13-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

of course, that was dedicated to def
Old 04-13-04, 07:32 PM

(you didn't say how many outs there are)

In his only regular season appearance against Bonds in the last half dozen years, Rivera whiffed the meathead. And he does it again this time.

Pitch to him!

But I don't care who the reliever is, of how many outs there are, you still pitch to him. You don't intentionally tie the game.

Statistically, bases loaded and no one out yields 2.44 expected runs. Odds are, you're gonna lose the game anyway. But if you walk Bonds, then you only have to give up ONE more run to lose. You pitch to Bonds and get him, then the expected runs falls to 1.53, so you still have a good chance of getting out of the inning.

And finally, Rivera is tougher on lefties than righties, so that's even more reason to pitch to Bonds and AJ.

This is a no brainer to me.
Old 04-13-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DarkElf
He said there were 2 outs.

But I don't care who the reliever is, of how many outs there are, you still pitch to him. You don't intentionally tie the game.
If they walk Bonds, the Giants would still be down a run. The situation was being down 2 runs, not one.
Old 04-13-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

you must have hit reply quick and just taken awhile to type that
I changed and added the outs pretty damn fast.. (quick enough it didnt add an edited statement at the bottom)
Old 04-13-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pitch to him but give him nothing to hit. Low and inside, or way outside. Give him a chance to make an out, but not a chance to kill you with a homer. If you get to 3-0 or 3-1, intentionally walk him rather than risk getting too close or throwing a PB.
Old 04-13-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by twikoff
I changed and added the outs pretty damn fast.. (quick enough it didnt add an edited statement at the bottom)
Don't worry twikky, I got your back homie!

I would say pitch to him. Walking him just seems really lame.
Old 04-13-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Throw it at his face.
Old 04-13-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by the aftermath
I would put this pitcher in to face Bonds:

David Wells isn't a reliever.
Old 04-13-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Statistically, bases loaded and no one out yields 2.44 expected runs. Odds are, you're gonna lose the game anyway. But if you walk Bonds, then you only have to give up ONE more run to lose. You pitch to Bonds and get him, then the expected runs falls to 1.53, so you still have a good chance of getting out of the inning.
thats one way to look at it..

another way to look at it is that basically any hit scores 2 runs.. since the runners would be off on the pitcher..

so if you toss out the chances of a wild pitch or passed ball..

you leave yourself with the idea that you need to record 1 out and not give up more than 1 run.. and your choices of who to try to get that out from are bonds & Pierzynski (whose batting around the mendoza line).

although, Im not arguing in favor of walking him.. because i think thats a pretty chickenshit way to win..
I say you pitch to him to show some balls, screw the percentages!
Old 04-13-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Throw it at his face.
Exactly. If he is going to get on base and bring home a run, make Bonds earn it.

This is very similar to that case back in 1998 when Showalter elected to walk Bonds with the bases loaded, so the D-backs pitcher could face the next hitter.

I agree with pitching to him. The odds are greater that he won't hit it than he will, but you just need to make sure that you don't give him anything he can drive.
Old 04-13-04, 07:53 PM

let's keep in mind alfonzo might decide to not be a complete bum in the playoffs and he would be hitting behind barry. i don't think pierzynski will be there for long.
Old 04-13-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 outs- pitch to him, but don't give him anything to hit hard (if possible). Take the walk if needed.

1 out- pitch to him and pray.
Old 04-13-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by gev115
let's keep in mind alfonzo might decide to not be a complete bum in the playoffs and he would be hitting behind barry. i don't think pierzynski will be there for long.
STOP TRYING TO CHANGE MY SITUATION!

I put a situation in.. lets make a call based on it!!!

Old 04-13-04, 07:57 PM
Suspended

I'd pitch to Bonds, but absolutely nothing easily over the plate. Maybe give him a little chin music as well.
Old 04-13-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MJKTool
I'd pitch to Bonds, but absolutely nothing easily over the plate. Maybe give him a little chin music as well.
you wouldnt throw a hanger right over the plate to bonds????????

you wild man!!!!!
Old 04-13-04, 08:11 PM

I think you added the 2-run lead too, didn't you? That totally changes the question. I mean, before it was a no brainer, but now, walking Bonds is definitely something to consider.

I still say pitch to Bonds b/c unless it's an extra base hit, the worst that happens is a tie game. And you DON'T put on that ridiculous shift managers are doing these days.
Old 04-13-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I think you added the 2-run lead too, didn't you? That totally changes the question. I mean, before it was a no brainer, but now, walking Bonds is definitely something to consider.

I still say pitch to Bonds b/c unless it's an extra base hit, the worst that happens is a tie game. And you DON'T put on that ridiculous shift managers are doing these days.
yep
i meant for the situation to be 2 run lead, 2 outs..

thats the situation that makes it tougher to call..

of course.. I changed it within a minute of posting the question.. i didnt think anyone was replying that quick
Old 04-13-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

you know

part of this was that other people were suppose to list some different situations

sheeesh.. you guys suck at these games
Old 04-13-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, its game 7 in the 8th inning. Youre up 5-2 and your ace is on mound. He starts struggling and gives up 3 hits in a row. Its now 5-3 with runners on 2nd and 3rd. Your ace has thrown over 115 pitches.

Your bullpen has pitched amazingly for the whole playoffs. Do you lift your starting pitcher?
Old 04-13-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

you lift him

unless its pedro.. in which case, you leave him in incase any old men rush out and need a good beat down
Old 04-13-04, 09:20 PM
Suspended

you know

part of this was that other people were suppose to list some different situations

sheeesh.. you guys suck at these games
Were just in awe of your first question!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.