Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Do we realize how lucky we are?

Old 04-13-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do we realize how lucky we are?

Most of us on this board are 20-35 I would guess. So that means, for the better part of our lives, we have seen most of the careers of the following:

Michael Jordan, the greatest player in NBA history.
John Elway, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, Dan Marino and Emmitt Smith, who would be mentioned very high in any all-time greatest NFL list.
Barry Bonds, arguably one of the top 5 players in MLB history, if not the best.
Roger Clemens, arguably one of the top 5 pitchers in MLB history.
Wayne Gretzky, the greatest hockey player who ever lived.
Pete Sampras, arguably the greatest male tennis player ever.
Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf, arguably the two best female tennis players ever.
Tiger Woods, arguably the best or second best golfer of all-time, and just entering his prime.

I don't know if we all realize what a golden age of sports we are truly living in. Anyone agree? Disagree? Discuss.
Old 04-13-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well every generation has great players. I don't know if this generation has anymore than normal, or if they're more glorified due to TV exposure and the fact they are so recent in our memories.
Old 04-13-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I look forward to telling my children about how I was able to see Roger Clemens pitch in person many times. And if they ever ask about Tennis players like Sampras or Steffi Graf, I will quickly change the subject back to Clemens.

Also, I will never pass up the oppurtunity to badmouth Dan Marino to future generations.
Old 04-13-04, 12:10 AM

In a sense, it is an irrelevant point. 20 years from now, 40 years from now, and 60 years from now people will surely be able to say the exact same thing about their contemporary crop of professional athletes. Just as people living in the 1940s or 1960 could have truthfully said the same thing. I get what you are saying, but it is relative.
Old 04-13-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But is it relative? We are talking about the greatest players of all-time, playing together in one generation. Can you say that for almost every sport in any other generation?
Old 04-13-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't forget the following great attributes of our lifetimes!

* Huge disparity in MLB payrolls due to terrible MLB management and lack of worthwhile revenue sharing resulting in a huge gap between the haves and the have-nots

* Ticket prices for most major sports games rising to over $150 for a family of four (all things considered) -- and that's being cheap!

* Showboats like Deion, Terrell, Joe Horn, etc. becoming more and more prominent

* A player getting paid $25 MILLION just to play a game

* Kurt Warner's wife

and so on..

Not so lucky as we once thought.
Old 04-13-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree, i think every generation can lay claim to seeing some of the greatest players of all time. For example, while we have seen Jordan, just a few decades ago people were watching Chamberlain.
Old 04-13-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I'd much rather sit and watch a baseball game during the 1950's than now.
Old 04-13-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Do we realize how lucky we are?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quake1028
[B]Most of us on this board are 20-35 I would guess. So that means, for the better part of our lives, we have seen most of the careers of the following:

Michael Jordan, the greatest player in NBA history.

I'm 47 and I got to see Kareem Abdul Jabbar who was the best player in NBA history and can top Jordan in stats.
Jordan was great but shot more than anybody else which is why he scored high, but he usualy made less than 50% unlike Jabbar.
I might even rank Magic, Bird, Wilt, Bill Russel and Oscar Robinson ahead of Jordan but he was great don't get me wrong.
Old 04-13-04, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Quake1028
But is it relative? We are talking about the greatest players of all-time, playing together in one generation. Can you say that for almost every sport in any other generation?

I do think it's relative. Just for example, take a quick look at the 1950s. In baseball we had Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Yogi Berra, and Ernie Banks to name a few everday players. Clearly these players, especially at that time, were among the best to have ever played. Some, such as Mays and Mantle in particular, are still considered amongst the very best. Throwing from the mound were pitchers such as Bob Feller, Bob Lemon, Warren Spahn, and Whitey Ford.

Jim Brown played most of his career in the 1950s. Many still consider him to be the best who ever stepped between the sidelines. While basketball saw the annual excellence of Bob Cousy and Bob Pettit, along with the first looks at Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain. Hockey meanwhile showed us Gordie Howe in his prime.

Golf saw Ben Hogan and Arnold Palmer dominate headlines. Boxing gave America the likes of Rocky Marciano and Sugary Ray Robinson, legends that today's boxers are still compared to. Even sports such as track and field had some of the best ever competing at that time.

So looking back, yes I think clearly it is relative. I will agree though that there have been some dry spells where seemingly all sports are in a down period. We are not in one of those now, as you have correctly pointed out, and I am thankful as a sports fan.
Old 04-13-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pharoh needs to host a Sportscentury episode.
Old 04-13-04, 01:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by chrisih8u

Also, I will never pass up the oppurtunity to badmouth Dan Marino to future generations.
Dammit. That's two things in the last week.
Old 04-13-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We can get back to normal Friday.
Old 04-13-04, 01:31 AM
Banned

I'll be in Vegas Wed-Sun so we don't have to worry about agreeing on shit until I get back.
Old 04-13-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Yeah, yeah. You were probably one of those Pats fans who was making all those claims in 1995 that Bledsoe was going to be better then Marino.
Old 04-13-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Personally, I think the 80s were the golden age for me - at least for the NFL, NBA, MLB, Olympics, Tennis, and Golf. The NBA and Olympics have completely fallen off the board in terms of quality. So has Men's Tennis, with Women's Tennis not faring much better. The MLB is a shadow of its former self. Out of that list, only the NFL and Golf seem to still offer high quality sports entertainment.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-13-04 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-13-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
I'd much rather sit and watch a baseball game during the 1950's than now.

Not true of many other sports for me, but baseball, certainly.
Old 04-13-04, 11:51 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Don't forget the following great attributes of our lifetimes!
You forgot Shaq and Kobe. That negates most of the good right there.
Old 04-13-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
And we got to enjoy the 1994 Pennant Race too.
Old 04-13-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I got to see the Phillies lose the World Series on a homerun.......
Old 04-13-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I got to see the Braves lose the World Series on a Joe Carter home run ...
Old 04-13-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

And I got to see the D-backs win the World Series on a routine pop up.
Old 04-13-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Do we realize how lucky we are?

Originally posted by GMLSKIS

Jordan was great but shot more than anybody else which is why he scored high, but he usualy made less than 50% unlike Jabbar.
Centers almost always shoot a higher percentage than guards. Consider the distance away from the hoop that the average shot by a center is compared to the average shot by a guard.

I'm not arguing which of the two is better, but comparing shooting percentages between a guard and a center is silly.
Old 04-13-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got to see more player strikes than my grandfather did in his lifetime. I got to see drug users make millions of dollars so they can turn around and buy more drugs. I got to see athletes more prominent on the front page and headline news than in the sports pages. I got to see over-expansion and a dilluted player pool.

But I did get to see it in color, with instant replay, live, from around the world. Only thing is, I can no longer afford to see a live event in person.
Old 04-13-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've gotten to see more games in more sports than ever before, but the size of the image on the screen continues to grow smaller as they cram more crap on my screen...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.