Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your most memorable opening day(baseball) experience?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-02-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With me-1974 Tiger Stadium-Baltimore pounded Detroit 10-0.I can still see Lee May's 3-run homer going into the upperdeck in his first ever Baltimore AB.I believe Jim Palmer pitched the shutout.Only been to one other opener-1971-Detroit defeated Cleveland something like 12-3.
Old 04-02-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Opening day at Bank One Ballpark for the first ever season of the D-backs.
Old 04-02-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk God

First regular season game at Camden Yards in 1992. Rick Sutcliffe pitches a gem for the O's - a 2-0 shutout over the Tribe. I was there and I have a framed picture of an aerial shot of the ballpark on that day hanging on a living room wall.

Honorable mention: 1990 - the one time in the last several decade that the Orioles (thanks to strike) opened on the road. Flash in the pan, Jobu-like slugger, Sam Horn belts 3 HRs as the O's beat the Royals in KC.

All told, I've attended around a dozen O's openers. A shame they are opening on a Sunday night. Sucks all the life out of it. I've been offered a ticket by several people, but I have zero desire to go to a night opener that doesn't start until 8:15.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-02-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-02-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
First regular season game at Camden Yards in 1992. Rick Sutcliffe pitches a gem for the O's - a 2-0 shutout over the Tribe. I was there and I have a framed picture of an aerial shot of the ballpark on that day hanging on a living room wall.

Honorable mention: 1990 - the one time in the last several decade that the Orioles (thanks to strike) opened on the road. Flash in the pan, Jobu-like slugger, Sam Horn belts 3 HRs as the O's beat the Royals in KC.

All told, I've attended around a dozen O's openers. A shame they are opening on a Sunday night. Sucks all the life out of it. I've been offered a ticket by several people, but I have zero desire to go to a night opener that doesn't start until 8:15.
I'm still going I've got high hopes for the Birds this season

birrman54
Old 04-03-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first thing that popped in my head was Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes hitting 3 homers way back in say '94?

But as an O's fan, the thing I remember most for the team is also Sam Horn hitting a couple of dingers against KC. Although I thought it was 2 3-run HRs. Shows how my memory doesn't always work so well : )

Last edited by Jericho; 04-03-04 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-03-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

You might be right about it being 2 instead of 3. I do remember he had 6 RBI that game though.
Old 04-03-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I freeze my butt off in Yankee Stadium.
Old 04-03-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by zuffy
I freeze my butt off in Yankee Stadium.

I was at the near blizzard at Camden Yards last season. I could not see 2nd base from the upper deck, the snow was falling that heavy and fast.

Another very memorable one for me was the opener for the Orioles '89 'Why Not' season. Ripken hits a game-winning homer off the Rocket.
Old 04-03-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog

Another very memorable one for me was the opener for the Orioles '89 'Why Not' season. Ripken hits a game-winning homer off the Rocket.
Actually, Craig Worthington won the game with a base hit in extra innings. Still one of my most memorable opening days. This is still my favorite season for the O's, even with them missing the playoffs.
Old 04-04-04, 03:51 AM

Actually after seeing the dateline thing on Kurt Cobain last night it was coming home from the opening day KC Royals game and turning on the TV and seeing his death all over the place. Weird that is my opening day memory.
Old 04-04-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never understood all of the mystique of opening day. And I cant see why opening day ticket prices go for such a premium. Its only 1 game of 162 and its essentially meaningless, in the long term.

Do people really care about the player introductions and some special loser throwing out the first pitch?