Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Mark Prior's on steroids?!?!?

Old 04-02-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mark Prior's on steroids?!?!?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1773924

This is the problem with the whole steroid issue. Anytime someone gets injured or takes a while to heal, some nitwit is going to say they're on steroids. And the reality is, we can't just offhand dismiss the nitwit because we don't really know. Is Prior taking steroids? Doubt it. Am I sure? Hell no.

Baseball is too slowly beginning to realize how terrible this whole issue is for the integirty of the game...
Old 04-02-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

One would think it would be counter-productive for a pitcher to use roids.
Old 04-02-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think McDowell was just speaking extemporaneously.
Old 04-02-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lesson learned: Don't take candy from strangers or Sammy Sosa.

I wonder what McDowell's actual comments were. If he only said what was in the snippets, he's a butthole.
Old 04-02-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
Why? I know that is conventional wisdom, but why would pitchers not be good candidates when every other athlete under the sun is? Steroids aren't just used to bulk up (case in point, cyclists and tennis players use them).
Old 04-02-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is Brett Boone. I swear he has to be on steroids. A tiny little guy popping homers like candy.
Old 04-02-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
actually, I heard it's common for pitchers to take steriods.

one of the "benefits" for pitchers is that it speeds up the recovery time between starts.
Old 04-02-04, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by LurkerDan
Why? I know that is conventional wisdom, but why would pitchers not be good candidates when every other athlete under the sun is? Steroids aren't just used to bulk up (case in point, cyclists and tennis players use them).

Very good point. Steroids, and related performance enhancing drugs, are not just used to increase bulk and mass. Seems to me that a pitcher would benefit tremendously from faster recovery times.
Old 04-02-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoyalTea
actually, I heard it's common for pitchers to take steriods.

one of the "benefits" for pitchers is that it speeds up the recovery time between starts.
Additionally, like most power pitchers, Prior's legs are the most important part of his success. It's not out of the question that a power pitcher uses steriods to help strenghten their lower body.
Old 04-02-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it's settled, then? Prior's on the juice!
Old 04-02-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it's settled, then? Prior's on the juice!
Indeed. I retract my "McDowell is a butthole" statement. We've taken much less time, effort, and money than a new testing program would require, as well. Hey, I think we're onto something here.
Old 04-02-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
Lesson learned: Don't take candy from strangers or Sammy Sosa.

I wonder what McDowell's actual comments were. If he only said what was in the snippets, he's a butthole.
''No, I'm not saying I'm suspicious of Prior,'' [McDowell] said. ''But that's one of the telltale things. What happens with steroids is the muscles get too strong for the tendons. You have a lot of tendon blowouts or tendinitis that doesn't heal.''

I have no idea what steroids do or do not do for pitchers. I do believe you can be on banned substances and not look like a musclehead.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sport...spt-cub02.html
Old 04-02-04, 02:41 PM
Retired

Originally posted by RoyalTea

Exactly. They also speed up recovery time from injuries.
Old 04-02-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't this the guy that flipped the bird to the Yankee fans when he played for them?

Yeah, he's a smart one...
Old 04-02-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

can't you tell? It's so obvious that he is.
Old 04-02-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could claim anyone in baseball is on steroids, but so what? You could do the same for the NFL and Olympic Sports. For some Olympic Sports like track, many people probably are on something. But no one seems to care about those sports
Old 04-02-04, 04:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I say execute him!
Old 04-02-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mark Prior's on steroids?!?!?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1773924

This is the problem with the whole steroid issue. Anytime someone gets injured or takes a while to heal, some nitwit is going to say they're on steroids. And the reality is, we can't just offhand dismiss the nitwit because we don't really know. Is Prior taking steroids? Doubt it. Am I sure? Hell no.

Baseball is too slowly beginning to realize how terrible this whole issue is for the integirty of the game...
I think *you're* on steroids.
Old 04-02-04, 04:17 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Jericho
For some Olympic Sports like track, many people probably are on something. But no one seems to care about those sports
There's been quite a few steroid scandals in the olympics, they have tough testing. Several stories were pretty big news items, like Ben Johson years ago.

It's true you don't hear as much about them as the olympics aren't as popular here as MLB. But also, you hear more about MLB because of their lame drug policy, which really offers nothing more than a slap on the wrist for the first few offenses.
Old 04-02-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
can't you tell? It's so obvious that he is.
Yeah...maybe he is
Old 04-02-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by AndyCapps
I say execute him!
And send his arms and legs to the four corners of the country as a warning to all potential steroid users!!!
Old 04-03-04, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
There's been quite a few steroid scandals in the olympics, they have tough testing. Several stories were pretty big news items, like Ben Johson years ago.

It's true you don't hear as much about them as the olympics aren't as popular here as MLB. But also, you hear more about MLB because of their lame drug policy, which really offers nothing more than a slap on the wrist for the first few offenses.
True, pretty much all sports have a much better drug policy than baseball. But I think baseball's gotten that message and changes will be made. It may take a while, but the message has been sent and I don't think one needs to run another potential steroids story every 5 minutes.

As for the other sports, I think most people don't even realize how many people are on some sort of drug. Of course I don't even know either. It's somewhat speculation. But there are likely plenty of drug abusers who never got caught. So even with the drug policies in other sports, people get away with it. And yet you don't hear stories about how Emmitt Smith is of the roids or Brett Favre or so forth...