Reload this Page >

Your children in sports

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Your children in sports

Old 01-14-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your children in sports

I am sure many of you with kids who are old enough have them play some type of sport, but does anyone have a child who excels in sports, or maybe could make it pro.

I am only 23 and I dont have any kids yet but I will encourage them to participate in sports, especially hockey
Old 01-14-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When/if I have kids i'll also encourage them to participate in sports. Like all good Canadians, i'll encourage hockey but if they want to play something else that'll be just fine by me of course.

I just think the confidence and the social interactions gained in a healthy sports environment (ie. one with minimal parent bitching about silly things) are just invaluable to the growth of a person.
Old 01-14-03, 02:32 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
My daughter isn't old enough yet, but in about 6 months she's getting her first pair of skates
Old 01-14-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When my wife and I have kids we will encourage them to play sports. I'm not really concerned what sport they play as long as it teaches them about winning and losing. I see some sports where everybody wins and that's not the way the world is.
Old 01-14-03, 10:40 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
My two older boys play baseball and soccer, and my youngest is going into his first Little League season this year as well. They have fun and they learn about the game, about being a part of hte team, and about winning and losing with a good attitude.

My oldest is pretty good, but not in the "that kid's definitely going pro someday" kind of way.
Old 01-14-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still cant help gettin pisssed off at some parents of how they pressure their kids. I know you should offer them constructive critiscism but not totally put them down. All the years I played minor hockey, it was always around.

14 yr old kid: Hey dad, how did you like that hat trick I scored
Dad: You should have scored 4

I hate that, but on a better note, I used to see kids who were not so good that played, and they could have made 5 mistakes in a game, but thier parents would still say "you played a good game out thier tonite son"

It is one of my major pet peeves, I have seen a lot of kids that I grew up with that could have had a chance to move up to a higher level of play, but most couldnt withstand the pressure and lost thier will to play.
Old 01-14-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by ElementZ
I still cant help gettin pisssed off at some parents of how they pressure their kids. I know you should offer them constructive critiscism but not totally put them down. All the years I played minor hockey, it was always around.
At least their parents showed up.. I was in AYSO for a couple years. I'd get dropped off at whatever game and then my folks would leave and pick me up later. High school, same thing, I was on the track team and volleyball team, my folks weren't there. And then playing volleyball on the men's team at a local junior college, they never showed up.

I truly played sports for myself. Which can be good or bad, I guess. It taught me to focus more on the game than on others, and not to rely on anyone else.
Old 01-14-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

devilshalo, you're like me - I was on a swim team since like 7th grade all the way through high school and into college, but my parents maybe went to one or two meets total - and those were when I pressured them into volunteering at one of the meets with my local club.

As for my kids, I'd like them to stay active - whether that means sports or marching band or whatever - I'd like them to have some sort of extracurricular hobby. I guess I don't really care if its sports though, even though I love sports.