Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

is shaq racist?

Old 01-09-03, 05:07 PM

is shaq racist?

not sure if its been posted...i ran a search & nothing came up so...

i got this in an email...was told he made derogatory asian comments on the best damn sports show period...can anyone confirm?

SHAQ IS A RACIST

An AsianWeek Column by Irwin Tang:
Tell Shaquille O'Neal, "Come down to Chinatown."

Call Shaquille O'Neal the Big Racist.
In his most recent racial taunt of Yao Ming, Shaquille O Neal told a reporter, "Tell Yao Ming, 'ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh.'" No, the superstar center of the LA Lakers was not trying to speak Chinese. Shaq was, in a most derisive tone, aiming a racist barb at the rookie center for the Houston Rockets.

Ironically, just days before this racial taunt was aired nationally, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) had honored O Neal with their Young Leaders Award. We can only hope that the NAACP had no knowledge of Shaq s previous racial taunt of Yao Ming and LA Clippers center Wang Zhi Zhi, broadcast on June 28 on Fox Television s Best Damn Sports Show Period. When Yao Ming was brought up, Shaquille O Neal spoke with a mock Chinese accent and made mock kung fu moves.

Also in June, Shaq announced that he would test Yao s toughness by taking an elbow to Yao s face. This comment, combined with Shaq s racist taunts are particularly disturbing, as Asian Americans often suffer racial taunts while being assaulted or physically intimidated.
But Shaquille O Neal is not a stupid brute. That is, he may be a brute, but he s not a stupid one. He knows the media is on his side. National and local news organizations have consciously ignored Shaq s racist comment. I know, because I called the LA Times, Sports Illustrated, the Associated Press, and other news organizations and offered them information about this story. They did not want to write about it.
The only reason anyone knows about Shaq s latest taunt is because Fox Sports Radio s Tony Bruno Morning Extravaganza played a recording of the taunt several times to its nationwide audience on December 16 and 17. On the latter day, Bruno commented that Shaq s comment was "not racist," and then invited listeners and radio commentators to call in jokes making racist fun of Chinese. For hours, people cracked jokes, such as offering free bike parking to increase Chinese attendance at basketball games.

On Christmas Day, while calling the Celtics-Nets game for ABC, veteran sportscaster Brent Musburger s lamented that "the hordes of China" might stuff the All-Star ballot box and vote Yao Ming in as the Western Conference s starting center, rather than Shaquille O Neal.
How Kafkaesque, and how familiar, it is that the interests of the American media and those of Asian America are diametrically opposed. The media has betrayed their own dedication to controversy by making nothing out of something that deserves much ado. Rather than slam celebrity racism, as it has in the past, some media organizations obviously wish to reserve the right to revel in their own racism.
Will the NBA punish racist speech, as it has in the past? The Association is too busy passing out fortune cookies. In "honor" of Yao s first game in Miami, the Miami Heat on December 16 passed out 8000 fortune cookies to spectators. Yao found the promotion amusing but pointed out that fortune cookies have nothing to do with him. He said that he was not angry because he was not familiar with American stereotypes of Chinese.

Let s not beat around the bush. If a white player had, for instance, made monkey sounds to taunt a black player, it would have been a national controversy. But Yao is Chinese. And Asians are fair game. For evidence, watch TV for a couple of hours.

Asian America cannot, or will not, demand as much respect as other minority groups. What do sports commentator Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, NBA Head Coach Dan Issell, and former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Trent Lott have in common? They all lost their jobs due to comments offensive to blacks or Hispanics. Golfer Fuzzy Zoeller, baseball pitcher John Rocker, and basketball star Isaiah Thomas were all forced to apologize for racially insensitive comments.

Spit on me once, shame on you. Spit on me twice, shame on me. What will our Asian American leaders do about this potentially explosive issue? In the past, our national leaders have tended to shy away from the harsh lights of TV cameras, nicely fitting our stereotype as quiet, obedient people. As media-hound lawyer Johnny Cochran single-handedly forces the NFL to consider more black head coaches, what will our Asian American leaders do about Shaq s offensive taunt? Write a letter?
Forgive my bitterness. I grew up in Texas, facing those "ching-chong" taunts daily while teachers averted their ears. I love basketball, and when Yao was drafted by Houston, I had to suppress my excitement, lest he turn out a complete flop. I went to see the Rockets play the LA Clippers on December 12. Yao is a huge young man with huge skills. But he s also a kid in a foreign land. You can tell by the way he carries himself when the ball is not in play. My heart goes out to Yao Ming.
Yao Ming is our Asian Jackie Robinson, though he does not face the intensity of animosity Robinson faced. Unfortunately Shaquille O Neal is the modern-day Ty Cobb, the rough-playing baseball superstar who used the n-word on Robinson.

"I look forward to breaking down that mother------- s body," Shaq said of Yao Ming. "He said my name three times, two in Chinese and one in American. You dont ever call me out. I m from LSU." Yao has never "called" Shaq out.

But I am calling Shaq out. Come on down to Chinatown, Shaq. You disrespect Asian America, and we will break you down. Perhaps when you and the Lakers come to Houston on January 17 to play Yao Ming and the Rockets, the Asian American community will have a press conference waiting for you. Perhaps there, before a national audience, you can apologize to Yao Ming, forfeit your NAACP award, and implore young people not to follow your example. Or perhaps nothing will happen. Another racial slur will be left to sink slowly into the Asian American collective unconscious and ferment as self-loathing. And then we ll only have ourselves to call out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pissed off? Let us hear it in our Forum.
Send to a Friend Printer-Friendly View

Asian Pacific American Coalition at FCLC

If you have any inquiries or concerns you can reach us by:

Email: [email protected]

Mailbox: located in OSA room 408

Meetings: Every other Wednesday at 12pm in room 424
Old 01-09-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: is shaq racist?

IMHO, the only thing considered racist by the American media is anything made/said/done against African-Americans.
Old 01-09-03, 05:25 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Ming is the new media darling so if Shaq takes a cheap shot it will be all over ESPN and Fox sports. Shaq needs to worry more about why his teams sucks this year and less about his media quotes.
Old 01-09-03, 05:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Shaq is a big, stupid, moronic, dumb ****, bully who deserves to get schooled by the more highly skilled Yao.
Old 01-09-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[Laker fan] Whatever, Shaq could join Mensa if he wanted to, he only plays the big dumb stupid guy to mess with people [/Laker fan]

Old 01-09-03, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
I don't really think making fun of accents/languages and making cultural stereotypes are necessarily racist. This is really a p.c. reactionary word used to incite anger amongst perceived "victims". It's really more xenophobic and perhaps more like bigotry to me. People really don't understand what racism means anymore it's thrown around so freely.

The French amongst other Europeans are particular punching bags for Americans for their accent and cultural stereotypes. One wouldn't say a Euro-American making fun of a French person is racist in this example.

Associating cultures with idiotic icons like fortune cookies can be insulting, but racist I would not call it. It comes out of cultural ignorance, no more no less. Any American who has spent time overseas know about all the idiotic things that are associated with Americans. But would we call a Japanese person who insists that every American has a handgun and eats hamburgers for breakfast, lunch and dinner racist? No. They are just cultural stereotypes.

There are two basic definitions of racism:
1.The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2.Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Making chinese like sounds and making kung-fu jokes doesn't qualify itself as racism to me. It's nothing more than ignorance.
Shaq should know better, especially as part of a minority group, yes. But I'm really tired too of people throwing around the word racism too.

Last edited by jarsim; 01-09-03 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, I could care less. And Shaq should care less, too. I'm not offended. This is sports, it's competition, smack talking is allowed. Get over it.
Old 01-09-03, 07:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

SO if Yao responded in imitating Shaq's ebonics in a very exaggerated manner it wouldn't be construed as racism? Just Smack Talk?
Old 01-09-03, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
SO if Yao responded in imitating Shaq's ebonics in a very exaggerated manner it wouldn't be construed as racism? Just Smack Talk?
Old 01-09-03, 07:25 PM
Banned

I like to hear the NAACP's answer to this or better yet from the players.
Old 01-09-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PLEASE.

Oops, does that make me a racist?

[Edited - That was quite unnecessary. D-]

Last edited by Dead; 01-13-03 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-09-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course it would. He just needs to make some noise so people will pay attention to him again.
Old 01-09-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-09-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't know that Shaq was a Republican ....
Old 01-09-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jarsim
I don't really think making fun of accents/languages and making cultural stereotypes are necessarily racist. This is really a p.c. reactionary word used to incite anger amongst perceived "victims". It's really more xenophobic and perhaps more like bigotry to me. People really don't understand what racism means anymore it's thrown around so freely.

The French amongst other Europeans are particular punching bags for Americans for their accent and cultural stereotypes. One wouldn't say a Euro-American making fun of a French person is racist in this example.

Associating cultures with idiotic icons like fortune cookies can be insulting, but racist I would not call it. It comes out of cultural ignorance, no more no less. Any American who has spent time overseas know about all the idiotic things that are associated with Americans. But would we call a Japanese person who insists that every American has a handgun and eats hamburgers for breakfast, lunch and dinner racist? No. They are just cultural stereotypes.

There are two basic definitions of racism:
1.The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2.Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Making chinese like sounds and making kung-fu jokes doesn't qualify itself as racism to me. It's nothing more than ignorance.
Shaq should know better, especially as part of a minority group, yes. But I'm really tired too of people throwing around the word racism too.
Although I agree with you to a certain extent, I think that supporting these stereotypes are harmful because you are promoting ignorance. In a sense, you are continuing to give information to people that isn't necessarily accurate - and because of that, discrimination and prejudice can result. So although maybe Shaq isn't being explicitly racist, he is hurting the images of Chinese people.
Old 01-09-03, 10:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by devilshalo
Really you think he wouldn't get in trouble with the black community? No offense, I think that's somewhat naive. I bet the black community would pour down on Yao and do stuff like boycott his games and boo him.

Like I said, I don't think Shaq is necessarily racist (although I believe he has dissed white guys as well, no?) but he is a jackass, empty-headed buffoon.

Just like when he said he banged all those famous women on the radio. Whatta knucklehead!
Old 01-09-03, 11:16 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

It probably would, but I'd pay to see it anyways
Old 01-10-03, 12:48 AM

Welcome to America....
Old 01-10-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this quote even real? I haven't seen it anywhere else and I looked earlier.
Old 01-10-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just thinking about Yao trying to do that makes me laugh. But seriously, Robin Williams has made a nice career doing it in almost every comedy act he does. As a black man, it doesn't really bother me when people do that - I pity their ignorance the same way I pitied Shaq the minute I saw him do that on SportsCenter. The same way I cringe when I see black comedians do that generic "white man's voice" in their act. What DOES bother me is the author taking what Shaq did and comparing it to a hypothetical situation where "if a white player had, for instance, made monkey sounds to taunt a black player". Sorry, imitating the way I speak is nowhere near calling me a f-cking monkey.

But you don't mess with Shaq, remember "You dont ever call me out. I'm from LSU"!!
Old 01-10-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth mee2
Welcome to America....

... Where Double Standards are Our Business

das
Old 01-10-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Daryl
Just thinking about Yao trying to do that makes me laugh. But seriously, Robin Williams has made a nice career doing it in almost every comedy act he does. As a black man, it doesn't really bother me when people do that - I pity their ignorance the same way I pitied Shaq the minute I saw him do that on SportsCenter. The same way I cringe when I see black comedians do that generic "white man's voice" in their act. What DOES bother me is the author taking what Shaq did and comparing it to a hypothetical situation where "if a white player had, for instance, made monkey sounds to taunt a black player". Sorry, imitating the way I speak is nowhere near calling me a f-cking monkey.
This was my thinking, too.. I'm Chinese and I'm not offended. Why? Because those comments were directed at Yao Ming. Not to me, not to the Chinese community. Yao Ming doesn't represent me, neither should he represent a community.

As you mentioned, I don't think Shaq is racist, just ignorant. But that's nothing new.
Old 01-10-03, 03:28 PM

Shaq did make that comment I think about a couple of months ago. Being a Laker fan I can vouch for his ignorance at times.

I remember a famous quote that he had a few years ago when he was with Orlando.

Shaq said after a game, "I'm a winner, I've won on every level except for college and pro".
Old 01-10-03, 03:55 PM

This was my thinking, too.. I'm Chinese and I'm not offended. Why? Because those comments were directed at Yao Ming. Not to me, not to the Chinese community. Yao Ming doesn't represent me, neither should he represent a community.
So Shaq's comments does not affect you or the Asian community? Doesn't it add more fuel to the stereotypes that Asians are trying to do away with?
Old 01-10-03, 04:48 PM
Banned

Interesting you say that. Will you be angry if Yao speaks ebonics (mock) to Shaq and the NAACP calls him racist?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.