DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Bartolo Colon headed to the Marlins (if the Reds agree) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/262676-bartolo-colon-headed-marlins-if-reds-agree.html)

wildcatlh 01-09-03 03:20 PM

Bartolo Colon headed to the Marlins (if the Reds agree)

Ugh. As the sole remaining Marlins fan in existence, I can't say I like this trade. Adrian Gonzalez is going to be a star. The deal is contingent (it seems) on the Reds getting medical info on Brad Penny

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0109/1489938.html

The Expos and Marlins have a trade in the works that would send 20-game winner Bartolo Colon to Florida for right-hander Brad Penny and three others, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

But there's a hang-up.

The package also involves Cincinnati, which would obtain Penny from Montreal for a minor-league pitcher and send another minor-league pitcher to Florida. But the Reds are refusing to sign off on the deal because they have concerns about Penny's throwing arm and the Marlins have refused to release his medical information, Gammons has learned.

The Expos also would obtain from Florida left-hander Blaine Neal, minor-league first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and minor-league right-hander Don Levinsky, Gammons reports.

Several teams interested in Penny this offseason also have had concerns about his arm. He has had two stints on the disabled list in the last three years; he was disabled for a six-week stretch last season because of inflammation in his right bicep.

And Penny's 13.49 ERA in the recent MLB All-Star series against Japan in November did nothing to set potential suitors' minds at ease either. The Sun-Sentinel of South Florida recently quoted an unnamed National League GM as saying, "There are problems with Penny's shoulder. ... We view him as a medical risk."

Montreal, owned by Major League Baseball and ordered to cut its payroll to $40 million, has been shopping Colon for months. General manager Omar Minaya had been talking with the Red Sox since the winter meetings in Nashville in mid-December, talks that later branched off into trying to find another team to make a Boston-Montreal deal work.

But Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said Wednesday that there was no progress toward a deal and he didn't expect a Boston trade for Colon to be made.

"I'm actually as pessimistic about our chances of matching up with Montreal as I have been in a long time," Epstein said.

Penny, 24, went 8-7 with a 4.66 ERA in 24 starts while battling several injuries last season, but his potential, talent and low salary could make him a respectable replacement for Colon, who was 20-8 with a 2.93 ERA last season with Cleveland and Montreal.

Penny was eyed by the Red Sox in discussions that centered around outfielder Trot Nixon this offseason, but Florida was unwilling to part with the right-hander at the time

Pharoh 01-09-03 03:43 PM

Why in the world would Fla deal for Colon? He most certainly would not resign there, and it seems like they would be giving up quite a bit. Strange.

Ranger02 01-09-03 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Pharoh
Why in the world would Fla deal for Colon?
To then deal Colon away for nothing.

Loriza is an a*s.

Jericho 01-09-03 11:40 PM

It makes no sense to me either. That's a lot to give up. Neal's a decent prospect, Gonzalez is a good one, and Penny is a good young pitcher. The article makes it seem veryone thinks his arm will fall off, so we'll see He's extremely talented when healthy.

But it begs a few questions...

1) Why would Florida would basically gave away Alfonsecca and Clement last year for salary reasons, not to mention trade Floyd, Wilson, Johnson, and so forth go after Colon?

2) And if Millwood is only worth a back-up catcher, what full would pay this much for Colon? Hell, boston was only going to deal crappy Hillenbrand.

I'm not sure why some people are so in love with Colon. He's basically had one great year. Last year. Before then he was a unrefined pitcher who could throw 100, but didn't have great consistency, stamina, and control. He was good, but hardly great.

Now one season later, Peter Gammons is already calling him one of the 4 best pitchers in the AL should he land in Boston. I guess people forget what Colon was like before. I'd like to see a little more consistency before labeling Colon anything great.

Luddy 01-10-03 12:11 AM

If there is anything I've learned watching baseball, always be wary of a Gammons trade talk!

El Talon Del Monstruo 01-10-03 12:41 PM

but in the end, you know who loses...THE RED SOX...we still don't have a 5 guy in the rotation look at what we got

Pedro Martinez (Morales...HE'S READY FOR ANY KIND OF ACT-ION BABY!!...sorry, I was watching a Pedro MORALES WWF match)
Derek Lowe
Tim Wakefield
John Burkett

I don't think Casey Fossum is ready to go full time as a starter just yet, and look what else we have

Ryan Rupe (UGH)
Frank Castillo (has his bright spots)
Brandon Lyon (still not ready to be a full time starter)

I would say right now, your best bet is to go after Chuck Finley or Kenny Rogers if you are Theo Epstein because face it...thats as good as you are getting (not bashing the two listed pitchers in any way, shape, or form)