Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about the "Halo" rule in College Football?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: halo rule
good rule
60.87%
I hate it
34.78%
What rule is that?
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate that rule, it makes it nearly impossible for the kicking team to stop a return
Old 01-01-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

i dont have any problem with it
2 yards is about the right distance to be able to allow the receiver to catch the ball, but still be close enough to make the play

I dont really see how this rule has given the returner much of an advantage.. except that it has done away with alot of the huge hits that happens right as the player caught the ball in the past
Old 01-01-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
i dont have any problem with it
2 yards is about the right distance to be able to allow the receiver to catch the ball, but still be close enough to make the play

I dont really see how this rule has given the returner much of an advantage.. except that it has done away with alot of the huge hits that happens right as the player caught the ball in the past
Why should the receiver be given room to catch the ball if he isn't going to call a fair catch. That's a penalty for a team that covers punts well. That's too much of an advantage for the punt returner. If he feels the defenders are too close than call a fair catch. I feel the returner has a much bigger advantage now than before this rule. The defender has to be aware to the 2 yards which causes defenders to slow down. That could be the difference between a fair catch or little yardage to a big return.

Last edited by zak52; 01-01-03 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-01-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

true.. but you dont see near as many fair catches anymore.. which adds some more excitement
although watching the games.. I dont think it gives much of an advantage..
you time it, you can still nail the guy almost immediately after the catch is made.. just no more putting a head into the returners chest while he is still looking up for the ball..
yea, they could just always call fair catch, but what fun would that be
Old 01-01-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Halo rule is a load of crap. If a guy calls a fair catch, and you hit him, 15 yards and possible ejection. If he doesn't call for a fair catch, and you hit him before the ball gets there, 15 yards and a possible ejection.

If you're standing 3 yards away from where the receiver is standing, and he's baiting you and runs up 2 yards to receive the punt at the last second, not only are you penalized 10 yards for doing nothing wrong, but you back up at the last moment to try to avoid the penalty and give up a big return.

There are already rules in place to protect the punt returner. The halo rule is unfair and abused and absurd. If ANYTHING, they should make the 2 yards from where the punt returner is standing when you get there. Returners are consistently baiting players into where the ball will land and then running up to catch it - hell, that's what I'd do too with such a stupid rule.

Every "reason" for the halo rule is superfluous as there are already rules to penalize those infractions. Just like the most inconsistently called penalty since fouling Shaq ... "excessive celebration" - we already have unsportsmanlike conduct, delay of game, personal fouls, etc ... the rule is excessive, impossible to call with any consistency, and a load of horsedung.

das
Old 01-01-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is by far the worst rule in college football,not only do we have the worst refs we have the worst rules to go with it,college football would be the best sport if it had a playoff system and instint replay but untill then NFL will dominate.
Old 01-01-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DVDHO
This is by far the worst rule in college football,not only do we have the worst refs we have the worst rules to go with it,college football would be the best sport if it had a playoff system and instint replay but untill then NFL will dominate.
until the nfl can draw the fan support that the college game does.. i dont see how they can dominate
Old 01-01-03, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
until the nfl can draw the fan support that the college game does.. i dont see how they can dominate
The NFL draws much more support overall than college.
Old 01-01-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by zak52
The NFL draws much more support overall than college.
you think nfl teams draw as loyal of support as college teams?
i find that really hard to believe
but I guess its because I support an sec team, where we are use to having people at the games 4 days ahead of time.. then having standing room only in the stadium with another 60,000 people outside of the stadium tailgating..
actually caring about the games.. because every game matter.. not like the nfl where you only have to win half your games to make the playoffs and have a shot at a championship.. so it doesnt matter who is best, it just matter who is playing best during a couple week span
Old 01-01-03, 07:21 PM

I'm talking about overall support. Attendance and televison. Sure you get teams like Tennessee and Michigan which draws 100,000+ which a NFL team would probably never do. But the tv ratings are higher for the NFL.
Old 01-01-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can see the pros/cons of the halo rule, but a 10 yard penalty is absurd ... 5 was better.
Old 01-01-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stoooo - ooooo - ooooo - ooooopid rule. What's next - a defensive player will have to say "Pardon me" before tackling anybody?
Old 01-01-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My college's team (Oklahoma State) used to ignore this rule and blindside the receiver anyway. The crowd reaction to a brutal open-field hit and the fear it created in the returner were usually worth the ten yards. I think they stopped doing this after the rule virtually cost them a win aganst Nebraska.
Old 01-02-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i can see its not a good idea to let these guys take a player out while he is looking up or jumping in the air, but if they want to use this rule they need to set some clear standards on how to inforce it. The way it is now players have to keep pushing the limit to see what the refs for that game will allow. I say do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 01-02-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it's ridiculous how strict they are with this....i've seen more than a few big returns this year because players had to back off or run to the side....it's stupid. If you are right in their face, then fine, but there's no reason to give them 6 feet - all that does is give the returner a tremendous advantage to give a good deke and make a big play. It's simply not fair and a STUPID rule. get rid of it.

FWIW, i don't know a single commentator who approves of it either....
Old 01-02-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for the sake of the game.. it's a bad rule. it comes down to inconsistent officiating.

for the sake of the receiver that may have an opportunity to enter the NFL.. it's a good rule. it comes down to extending the possible professional career of the receiver.
Old 01-02-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Definately necessary. As much as I hate it
Old 01-02-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not as bad as the NFL's "breathe on the QB and get a 15 yard penalty and $5,000+ fine" rule.
Old 01-03-03, 01:43 PM
Retired

It's a good rule, and a necessary one.

The returner has to have a chance to catch the ball, and 2 yards is a good distance to allow this. It also protects them a little bit, which is also a good thing.

I also like that it gives an opportunity for more big returns. I like offensive football and big plays. Defensive football and big hits are boring IMO.
Old 01-03-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Josh Hinkle
It's a good rule, and a necessary one.

The returner has to have a chance to catch the ball, and 2 yards is a good distance to allow this. It also protects them a little bit, which is also a good thing.

I also like that it gives an opportunity for more big returns. I like offensive football and big plays. Defensive football and big hits are boring IMO.

You may like it, but it's not "necessary." The returner does have a chance to catch the ball ... Fair Catch.

das
Old 01-04-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't like it. Shouldn't be a halo if you can call fair catch.
Old 01-05-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

What you just saw in the Clev/Pitt game is why I hate the halo rule. If you are afraid of getting hit, call for a fair catch.
Old 01-05-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

i know cleveland and pittsburg arent the best teams
but you stil have to consider them NFL teams