Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

D-Backs Trade Durazo In 4 Team Deal

Old 12-15-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

D-Backs Trade Durazo In 4 Team Deal

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1215/1477358.html

I was hoping Arizona would be able to get Colon, Byrd or Vlad (each would have filled a huge vacancy), instead they acquire a mediocre 30 year old.

Cincinnati, Oakland and Toronto all made out great.

How the hell does Beane keep doing this?
Old 12-15-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Vlad isn't going to be dealt. Only Colon, Aramas Jr., Vidro and Vasquez are on the market.

Beane has been after Durazo since 2001. It was only a matter of time before something was worked out to send Durazo there. I, for one, am glad he's out of AZ. He's been selfish and and a cancer to the team.
Old 12-15-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AZ gets a quality pitcher in Dessens too. He'll get you 13-15 wins next year if he stays healthy.
Old 12-15-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And, the Mets got rid of Rey Ordonez
Old 12-15-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm thrilled Durazo is gone.

It's too bad they weren't able to package some deadweights with him.
Old 12-15-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by El Scorcho
AZ gets a quality pitcher in Dessens too. He'll get you 13-15 wins next year if he stays healthy.
Agreed. He will be a good 3rd/4th starter. Depending on how Patterson fares, and Bautista does, they'll squeeze him in between.
Old 12-15-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks to be a decent trade for all involved. Dessens isn't any great shakes, but he should at least be a decent pitcher for Arizona, a team who's core is older so they're trying to win now. Plus they showed no inclination to really playing Durazo.

Durazo should do well in Oakland and Lopez is a nice pick-up by Cincy. The only mild surprise is Toronto, who picks up prospects. If they get the two ex-Yanks as rumored (Arnold, Griffin), it could turn out nice, but I'll wait for the offical word.
Old 12-16-02, 12:07 AM

The D-Backs got the short end of this deal, again.

Really, the D-Backs haven't came on the better end of an deal since they got Luis Gonzalez and cash from Detroit for Karim Garica.
Old 12-16-02, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Ranger02

Really, the D-Backs haven't came on the better end of an deal since they got Luis Gonzalez and cash from Detroit for Karim Garica.
Ohhh... I'm sorry. Forgot about Schilling too.
Old 12-16-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk God

How do you figure? Durazo is a horrible fielder, and he's always hurt. The D-backs have given 3 years to get his act together, and he's done jack schit. With Grace being resigned and Overbay coming up, there's no need for him. Dessens is a good pitcher who was on a crappy team.

The D-backs wanted Aramas Jr. or Vasquez from the Expos, but they were only willing to deal Vasquez along w/ Tatis. They have no room for Tatis on the field or for his salary.

The D-backs got exactly what they needed, w/o giving up anything.
Old 12-16-02, 12:54 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

I thought you were singing the praises of Durazo last year?
Oh well, the Giants picked up some nice free agents this year
Old 12-16-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by volvos70turbo
Oh well, the Giants picked up some nice free agents this year
Me? Hell no. That was in 1999. I have been a huge advocate of getting rid of him since 2000. I do think he has tremendous upside b/c of his bat, but he's a liability in the field. That's why the alot of AL teams were trying to deal for him. He can be a sport starter at 1B and a full time DH.
Old 12-16-02, 01:02 AM

I don't like this trade for the D-Backs at all. I would be VERY surprised if Dessens puts up similar numbers next year.
Old 12-16-02, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Durazo isn't that great of a hitter honestly. The only balls he can touch are fastballs, he looks like a drunk out there when anything offspeed is thrown. He does have the potential to be a great power hitter with the correct coaching though. There was enough interest in him and the D-Backs didn't get enough in return or unload any problems.

Essens is 28-27 with a 3.94 ERA over the last three years. Looks like another innings eater to me. For whatever reason Garagiola just loves trading for older players especially guys with a history of injuries.

Right now the D-Backs have piss poor production at 1st and in RF which is inexcusable.
Old 12-16-02, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

28-27 on the Reds is nothing to scoff at. Give me an actual offense and that 28-27 turns into 35-20.
Old 12-16-02, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't expect a ton of production from this group unfortunately:

Womack
Counsell
Spivey
Dellucci
Bautista
Williams
Finley
Grace
Colbrunn
Moeller
Fabregas edited to add uhh . . . just kidding

Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 12-16-02 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-16-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On a side note, Banc One has sold the naming rights to AARP.
Old 12-16-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I don't expect a ton of production from this group unfortunately:

Womack
Counsell
Spivey
Dellucci
Bautista
Williams
Finley
Grace
Colbrunn
Moeller
Fabregas
Fabregas? Do you not watch the D-backs anymore? He hasn't been on the team since 1998.

Finley will produce, as will Counsell and Spivey.
Old 12-16-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Deftones17
Fabregas? Do you not watch the D-backs anymore? He hasn't been on the team since 1998.

Hopefully Showwalter can lead this team to greatness next season.

Old 12-16-02, 12:41 PM

How do you figure?
Dessens, at best is a 4th pitcher on most good teams. He is also over 30 I think so his best days are behind him and his worst days are quickly approaching.

I do agree with Shamu...
"I don't like this trade for the D-Backs at all. I would be VERY surprised if Dessens puts up similar numbers next year."
I'll second that.

Durazo was never given a consistent chance in AZ to prove his worth. He'll get that chance in Oakland. Bob Brenly loves his veterans and always blocked Durazo with Grace.
Durazo will surprize a lot of people next season.
Old 12-16-02, 12:59 PM

Holy cow! This is absolutely amazing! A D-backs thread NOT started by Deftones! This overshadows anything about the trade.

Dessens is a solid, though not spectacular, pitcher. He doesn't walk many and keeps the ball in the ball park. He should win 12-14 games for Arizona.

Originally posted by volvos70turbo
Yes, Def, you were. When Durazo finally got into the lineup the first time last year and smacked like 5 homers in his first 3 games, you were giddy about Durazo as if he was the next Babe Ruth or something.
Old 12-16-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ghosts of crappy catchers past still haunt me.

I'm guessing that Gonzalez will hit .290+ and knock in close to 100 runs too. That's four guys who will put up solid, not spectacular, numbers with the rest of the team being a total crapshoot.

As long as Benes is healthy all is well.

Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 12-16-02 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-16-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DarkElf
Holy cow! This is absolutely amazing! A D-backs thread NOT started by Deftones! This overshadows anything about the trade.

Yes, Def, you were. When Durazo finally got into the lineup the first time last year and smacked like 5 homers in his first 3 games, you were giddy about Durazo as if he was the next Babe Ruth or something.
First of all, shut up about me not starting the thread. I was going to, but someone beat me to it.

As for singing Durazo's praises, I was excited when he hit 3 HRs in one game, and went on a tear for a bit, but he soon settled to his old self. I have been saying the D-backs should trade him since 2000. Ask El Scorcho. He has to hear me rant about the D-backs on a daily basis.

Durazo was never given a consistent chance in AZ to prove his worth. He'll get that chance in Oakland. Bob Brenly loves his veterans and always blocked Durazo with Grace.
Durazo will surprize a lot of people next season.
Never given a consistent chance? Do you know how many times he has been on the DL in the past 3 years? 6 times. 6 friggin times! Do you know how many ABs over the past 4 seasons? 748. Friggin 748! And please dont' tell me it was b/c Durazo was platooning w/ Grace and others. The only reason he was platooning is b/c he never showed anything for a sustained period time. He was always hurt and showed that he didn't want to work to gain the starting job. It was his for the taking.

I'll say this again. Durazo has huge upside b/c of his bat, but is a liability b/c of his glove. The D-backs lost a playoff game last year b/c he dropped a ball thrown right at his chest. He is horrible in the field. That's why no NL team in their right mind wanted him. Boston and Oakland were the only two teams going after him.
Old 12-16-02, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Durazo was given chances and then some.

Frankly, a .260 hitter that can only hit home runs or strike out and can't field a position isn't valuable in the NL IMO.

It's pretty pathetic that he couldn't win a starting position when his competition is Mark Grace and Greg Colbrunn. And this idiot has the nerve to refuse to play in the outfield to top it off.
Old 12-16-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Durazo was given chances and then some.

Frankly, a .260 hitter that can only hit home runs or strike out and can't field a position isn't valuable in the NL IMO.

It's pretty pathetic that he couldn't win a starting position when his competition is Mark Grace and Greg Colbrunn. And this idiot has the nerve to refuse to play in the outfield to top it off.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.