Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy help - week 15

Old 12-13-02, 08:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

Fantasy help - week 15

I've hit the skids and thus I come begging for assistance. I *really* need to post a win this week.

WR - pick three
Mason (TN) vs. NE
Stallworth (NO) vs. MN
McCaffrey (DEN) vs. KC
Johnson (TB) vs. DET
Simth (JAC) vs. CIN

QB - pick one
Bulger (StL) vs. ARI
Culpepper (MN) vs. NO

RB - pick two
Faulk (StL) vs. ARI
Gordon (StL) vs. ARI
James (IND) vs. CLE
Mungro (IND) vs. CLE
Alstott (TB) vs. DET
Williams (MN) vs. NO

D - pick one
OAK vs. MIA
HOU vs. BAL
NYG vs. DAL
Old 12-13-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Fantasy help - week 15

WR
Mason (TN) vs. NE
McCaffrey (DEN) vs. KC
Smith (JAC) vs. CIN

QB
Bulger (StL) vs. ARI

RB
Faulk (StL) vs. ARI
Alstott (TB) vs. DET

D
NYG vs. DAL

i would say oakland if their D plays the same way they did last week. since i really wouldnt count on em playing that well again i'd take the giants. the cowboys have no offense
Old 12-13-02, 12:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Fantasy help - week 15

Originally posted by TaTTooD
i would say oakland if their D plays the same way they did last week. since i really wouldnt count on em playing that well again i'd take the giants. the cowboys have no offense

Yup. I've had them Raiders D all year and they've been up and down like mad. The Giants happen to be available on the wire since they haven't played up to their potential this year... still, agasint the Cowboys, they may be more "up" than usual.
Old 12-13-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did not make the playoff. It is not a keeper league, would it be bad form to realease my best players and see who picks them up?

Shadow
Old 12-13-02, 01:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
I did not make the playoff. It is not a keeper league, would it be bad form to realease my best players and see who picks them up?

Shadow

I'd just ask the other members of the league what they though. Some leagues encourage stuff like this, some hate it. Those that tend to hate it generally seem to have $$$$ involved.
Old 12-13-02, 03:38 PM

Shadow
I play in a non-keeper $$$$ league and this is highly frowned upon. It's not a "rule" so to speak, but more of a gentleman's agreement that you don't do this. I'd ask other members of your league on their opinion before actually doing it.
Old 12-13-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While we're on the topic...

I've got a Week #15 starter question too. I'm in a $$$$ non-keeper league, currently in 2nd place overall, and 1st place in head-to-head record. I've got a two game lead with 3 weeks left, so I'm not too worried about that. But I'm about 90 points behind the guy in first and really want to catch him. Here is my team:

Team Defense - Philly
Kicker - Hanson (DET)
QB - Bledsoe
RB - Dillon
RB - Hearst or Staley
WR - Owens
WR - Horn
WR - Driver

My only question is Hearst or Staley this week. I've gotten burned the last two weeks by starting the wrong one. All advice is much appreciated.
Old 12-13-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd have a hard time leaving Stallworth on the bench at MN.

Bench Keyshawn an Ed.

Mason, Smith, Donte. Mason has the toughest matchup, but it is a Monday night game and he is a clear #1 for the Titans. Subbing Key or Ed for Mason is probably a safer play, but I think Mason will produce.

Faulk, Edge.

Bulger or Culpepper either way. Both should score big.

Giants
Old 12-14-02, 11:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
I'd have a hard time leaving Stallworth on the bench at MN.
Me too... that's why I'm asking. He's not had any big weeks if you measure by yards, but he's my top scoring WR.

Bench Keyshawn an Ed.

Mason, Smith, Donte. Mason has the toughest matchup, but it is a Monday night game and he is a clear #1 for the Titans. Subbing Key or Ed for Mason is probably a safer play, but I think Mason will produce.

Faulk, Edge.

Bulger or Culpepper either way. Both should score big.

Giants
If Faulk and Edge were both healthy, there wouldn't even be a question. Blast it if they aren't both banged up though! I may just have to take the risk and hope that they both play though.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-14-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Stallworth benched as well. Starting Pinkston, Porter and Pathon.

Any opinions on benching Shockey (he's my starter in the TE/WR position) and starting Stallworth, instead?

oh, and my Quarterback situation...

Starting Bledsoe and Brees (who play each other) or bench Brees and start Harrington???

Last edited by IdgIe49; 12-14-02 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-14-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Shadow Ace
I play in a non-keeper $$$$ league and this is highly frowned upon. It's not a "rule" so to speak, but more of a gentleman's agreement that you don't do this. I'd ask other members of your league on their opinion before actually doing it.
Personally, we don't allow it in our money league. But it's also not possible, since once the playoffs are set, those teams that did not make the playoffs are locked and not allowed to trade, drop, or pick up players.
Old 12-14-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shadow
Yes, of course it would. However, if your commisioner is any good, he would prohibit you from doing this. In my primary league there are no trades or pickups after week 10, in part to help prevent this from happening.

As for Stallworth, he doesn't get many yards but has scored one TD in 7 of the 10 games he's played. I start him and Horn each week as my two WRs.

Here's my situation: In my league you only get points if the player scores, there are no performance points. So for the QB, you only get points (3) when they throw for a TD, or (6) if they run it in themselves for a TD (and one or two for a 2-point conversion, pass).

I have both Tom Brady and Mark Bulger. Bulger has thrown for 12 TDs in 5 games, and is going up agaisnt arguably the worst defense in the NFL (Arizona, 27th in pass defense, 28th in rush defense). St. Louis is favored by 10 or 11 points. Brady has thrown for 26 TDs in 13 games, but in two of his past four games he has thrown for no TDs. He is playing against Tennessee on Monday Night, and Tennessee has the 26th rated pass defense and the 6th rated rush defense (so NE should be passing).

Both look good. I would like to start Brady so if I am a little behind after Sunday, I have something to look forward to on Monday. But then again, I think Bulger and the St. Louis Rams are due for a big day (KC just scored 49 against them a couple of weeks ago).

Who would you start, Brady or Bulger?
Old 12-15-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heat, I would start Bulger....but I live in St. Louis, so I don't know if you should take my advise.

This is my QB question: who to start?

Brooks vs. MiN

or

Brady @ TEN
Old 12-15-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wheredebo
...This is my QB question: who to start?
Brooks vs. MiN
or
Brady @ TEN
I think those two are equal this week. Brooks is up against the 30th ranked passing defense Minnesota team (13th against the run, so they should be passing), and Brady is up against the 26th ranked passing defense Tennessee, (6th against the run, so again they should be passing).

In this case I'd just go with Brady, because if you are down at the end of Sunday Night you have something to look forward to on Monday night.
Old 12-15-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MY wideouts are blowing this week

so far

JErry Rice, James Thrash, and Joe Horn combined for 0 catches and 0 yards and it is nearly halftime. I'm the 2nd team in my league, and about to be eliminated if this crap keeps up.
Old 12-15-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won my league championship

I'm up 70-56 and I still have Brady left tomorrow.
I owe this whole season to Priest Holmes. That guy has had an amazing season...