Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Is USC the best team in the country?

Old 12-11-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is USC the best team in the country?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/2002/1210/1474778.html

Trev Alberts has also changed his mind (yes, again), and is now firmly (for a week at least) on the USC bandwagon. He called them the best team in the country.

Well, what do you think? You think USC could beat Miami or Ohio State, or is this just the chic thing to say right now?
Old 12-11-02, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember that after Colorado went on a hot streak and beat Texas and Nebraska last year, despite having two losses people were calling them the best team in the country. Lots of people were saying that they should be in the title game against Miami. They proceeded to get rolled by Oregon in the Fiesta bowl.

I didn't think Colorado was the best team last year and I don't think USC is the best team this year.
Old 12-11-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's exactly what sprang to mind when I saw that article. It seems each year there is some team with 1 or 2 losses that people say are the best team in the country. Heck, 2 years ago some thought a 1-loss Hurricane team was the best in the country.
Old 12-11-02, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk God

nope
you have to play well all season to prove yourself, not just at the end
Old 12-11-02, 08:39 AM
Mod Emeritus

Uh, No.
Old 12-11-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Quake1028
That's exactly what sprang to mind when I saw that article. It seems each year there is some team with 1 or 2 losses that people say are the best team in the country. Heck, 2 years ago some thought a 1-loss Hurricane team was the best in the country.
That was only because the 1 loss seminoles went to the championship instead of the hurricanes who beat them, but I'm not bitter...

Shadow
Old 12-11-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

I hate Trev Alberts
Old 12-11-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

An emphatic no. They are playing some of the best football in the country right now and have peaked at the end of the season, but come on. Since the loss to Washington State, they nearly lost to Cal, and 5 of those wins are against the bottom half of the Pac-10, 1 is against the Arizona State team that got creamed by Nebraska and lost to freakin' UNC, and 1 is against Notre Dame.

They certainly deserve a lot of credit for those wins, particularly scoring so many points on a very solid Irish defense (even if their starting field position was the 50 yard line, since Holiday was too hurt to move the ball on offense). They deserve their bowl, and they deserve to be considered one of the top teams in the nation.

But to go out and declare them the best team in the country? No. They haven't earned it. Yes, their schedule is very good. Yes, they've looked impressive against some very good teams. Had Palmer played better, the may have beaten K. State. Had they made that field goal in OT, they may have beaten WSU. But even those teams aren't as good as Ohio State and Miami.

One of the best? Yes. The best? No.

das
Old 12-11-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
they nearly lost to Cal
What's wrong with Cal?

They finished 7-5 this year and would've gone to a bowl game if it wasn't for an NCAA bowl ban. In the last two years combined, we had a TOTAL of 3 wins.

That being said, I was at the game in LA against U$C. Carson Palmer pretty much singlehandedly beat us in the end. Yes it was close, but I give a lot of credit to U$C as well - they are the real deal.

However, I agree with most people in this thread who say they're not the best team in the country over this whole season. Right now though, they're playing better football than anyone else.
Old 12-11-02, 11:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

Heck, 2 years ago some thought a 1-loss Hurricane team was the best in the country.
They likely *were* the best team in the country. Still, they knew how the system worked and what they needed to do to prove they were the best. The system did what it was supposed to do based on its design... and, that's all we can ask of any system. The best team doesn't always win the championship, even though we might wish it worked out that way.
Old 12-11-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth mnguye10
What's wrong with Cal?

Nothing. It's just what happened. I mentioned it, because it seems the mindset is that since the WSU loss, USC has been unstoppable, and that's not really true. Had Palmer not played the game of his career to bring them back, they would have lost another game. And then 4 of their next 5 opponents were in the bottom half of the PAC-10. That's all I was getting at. Nothing against Cal - they had a good year.

And as I said, nothing against USC, either. I'm just not ready to proclaim them the best team in the nation yet.

das
Old 12-11-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Is USC the best team in the country?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/2002/1210/1474778.html
Well, what do you think? You think USC could beat Miami or Ohio State, or is this just the chic thing to say right now?
I think they should be more concerned with and focused on winning their bowl game against another team that many consider might be playing the best ball in the country right now too (they are ranked third in both polls behind these two teams), and not who they could have played or they'll get their behinds handed to them on a platter. Unlike the Rose Bowl, Iowa with its many Florida players, shorter distance to travel for its fans will have more of a home field advantage than USC would have had in Pasadena too.
Old 12-11-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
That was only because the 1 loss seminoles went to the championship instead of the hurricanes who beat them, but I'm not bitter...
Ahhh, but who beat Miami? Another one loss team, Washington. It is good that you're not bitter, since you shouldn't be.
Old 12-11-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course not....GEORGIA is!!
Old 12-11-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is an easy one. No.

It's even debatable if they're playing the best football in the land right now, but they certainly have done nothing to prove they are the best team. Very good? Yes. Best? No.
Old 12-12-02, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love you guys!
Old 12-12-02, 01:17 AM

I think USC could probably beat any team in the country other than Miami. But it doesn't matter how hot you're playing at the end of the year when you lost two games early. I really don't believe anyone out there can beat Miami.

It'll be interesting to see how Miami is next year without Dorsey, and possibly Magahee.

Last edited by The Zizz; 12-12-02 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-12-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth The Zizz
It'll be interesting to see how Miami is next year without Dorsey, and possibly Magahee.

Yes it will. They have a damn fine team on both sides of the ball, but I'm not convinced they can put any ol' kid in the QB spot and win as consistently as Dorsey has.

das
Old 12-12-02, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey

Yes it will. They have a damn fine team on both sides of the ball, but I'm not convinced they can put any ol' kid in the QB spot and win as consistently as Dorsey has.

das
i agree..
but brock berlin is a little better then any ol' kid
unless he cant handle the pressure
Old 12-12-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recent AIM chat with my friend:

Rick: but if USC beats Iowa soundly
Rick: i would like to see how they could take on Maimi (assuming they win)
Rick: guess i can just buy the game and simulate it
Steve: yep... the point of the BCS is to get you to buy video games to sim it
Old 12-12-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by juiio
I remember that after Colorado went on a hot streak and beat Texas and Nebraska last year, despite having two losses people were calling them the best team in the country. Lots of people were saying that they should be in the title game against Miami. They proceeded to get rolled by Oregon in the Fiesta bowl.

I didn't think Colorado was the best team last year and I don't think USC is the best team this year.
People said CU over NU b/c CU beat NU and since NU and CU were in the same division and confrence, and CU won the divison and the confrence, it was bs that the number 2 team in the big 12 North (they didn't even win their half!!) was playing for a NC. So picking NU over CU was crazy, NU got lucky to lose to CU so they avoided having to play in the b12 championship.

Most sport casters were saying Oregon had more right to be in the Rose Bowl than NU, Even though CU was closer in BCS points. (But that was the year when they were giving crazy amounts of QW points, i don't think it would be this close with the 02 formula)

Its the same way it was in 2000 when FSU went to play OU even though they lost to Maimi who had the same win loss record(btw under the new bcs formula Maimi would have gone).

Every year people have to find some way to trash the bcs... even when two teams are undefeated and all the human polls and all the computer polls except one have Maimi playing USC.
Old 12-12-02, 08:05 PM

They very well could be, but who knows.

IMHO, there are about ten teams that could be argued as elite teams this year. Unfortunately, since they don't all have the same schedule difficulty, all we can do is guess.

Maybe in a decade or so we can find out, but until then all Miami and Ohio state beat all the teams they played, so you can't really argue too much
Old 12-13-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

McGahee will be back. Berlin should be solid. The secondary is very young and very good. My concern is the lines. Both sides of the ball are losing a lot of starters.
Old 12-13-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk God

McGahee will be back.
what makes you say that?
projected in the top 5, unless his wheels falls off in the fiesta
i cant see how he can turn that down.. maybe in a different sport.. but in football, you have to go while you can.. because the career ending injury might be next year
Old 12-13-02, 12:59 AM
Premium Member

Someone will be undefeated this year so no. Bottom line, win ALL of your games if you wanna be considered the best.

2 losses = why is there even a thread on this topic...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.