Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Would the A&M coach job be a 'step down' for Franchione?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-05-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Being in Austin, I am bombarded by burnt orange bandwagoners convinced that the A&M head coach job would be a dumb career move for Bama's Franchione since A&M is 'lower tier'. Of course, what condition was UT in when Mack Brown came on board?

He was aware of impending probation when he took the Crimson Tide job, but more sanctions for other violations (that occurred before he arrived) were past down later.

With the new A.D. now in place (from Nebraska, btw), one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the nation, top facilities, and a strong alumni base with seemingly empty pockets, how could this be a demotion for him?

Also, oddly enough, I heard Dennis Erickson's name mentioned today for the job. That would be interesting. He makes Jackie Sherril look like Mother Teresa.
Old 12-05-02, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it's a step down. Granted A&M hasn't won many championships (only 1939), but in today's standards A&M has great facilities, a giving alumni, and a pretty good fan base.

Y2K, I'm sure all the 'sips are squirming now because they know that Coach Fran will out-coach MacIII and will most likely recruit as well as him. They're just scared.
Old 12-05-02, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk God

i dont think there is any doubt that bama is a more pretigous job
much easier to recruit for, get national exposure, and get votes in the polls.. despite the ncaa sanctions
not to mention, they pay their players better

i think a&m's shot at getting fran isnt because their school is on the same level,its because he is from that area
Old 12-05-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The way Bama's recruiting went last year, even in the shadow of NCAA sanctions, speaks a lot about the prestige of that program. I don't think they took much of a hit at all and IIRC, none of their existing players decided to transfer.

Not that A&M is Northwestern Armpit U or anything.

A Bama alum that I work with seems confident that Fran is staying. His friend knows Torbush and says he's staying. That's kinda like "my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night" though.

Edit: I just read that he's already had serious talks with A&M. Never mind!

Last edited by Gromit; 12-05-02 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 09:27 AM
Retired

Bama is far and away the more prestigious job.

It also has more support. I mean Alabama really only has Bama and Auburn.

Texas has Texas, A&M, Tech Tech, TCU, and 2 pro football teams all drawing fan support.
Old 12-05-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bama has a much better past making it a much more prestigious job. Bama has like 10 MNC's right? However with the recent moves made by Texas A&M's president it shows that A&M is serious about making our program much better. We brought in an AD that is known for bringing in money. If the rumors are true A&M is prepaired to pay him like 2.8 million a year or something.
We are also building a brand new state of the art football complex. I think there is a bright future for our football program.

So the past is much better in Bama, however the next few years look much better at A&M b/c of the NCAA stuff going on at Bama.

On the national level A&M has never really been that big of a threat. The years we were ranked in the 90's and late 80's we were beating up the easy SWC and then we always lost our bowl games. So as far as national respect, A&M serisouly has never happend. I think in the next few years, any team who can escape season play in the big 12 undefeated will easily win a national championship.

BTW i heard rumors that alabama already has a list of replacement coaches to start interviewing.

Last edited by hypeiv; 12-05-02 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by hypeiv
Bama has like 10 MNC's right? .

yea, bama is one of those teams that always gets a ton of respect.. they will almost always be ranked higher than they deserve and they will almost always start out each season with a good ranking, regardless of the previous season.. starting out with a generous ranking, helps to keep your team above the spot they deserve to be in.
Old 12-05-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
yea... so bama is up there with Notre Dame... Well Franchione is known for turning teams around, so he may just want to work on that without the NCAA in his face. Also I think money has a lot to do with this and I hear he wants to live in Texas. So the title is a step down but the actuall job won't be.
Old 12-05-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.c...886370&xld=180
Old 12-05-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice article.

I figured the Maisel (sp?) espn.com buzz I was hearing Tuesday night was just that: buzz. At that point, of course the University would say "we are just about to sign a huge contract, he loves us and we love him", and of course he would say "no comment" when he came back from Hawaii.

A telling thing was that he cancelled an appearance last night and sent one of his other coaches. I forget exactly what the appearance was for, but it sounded like a dinner type deal he was going to speak at. Why would he have done that if he was staying at Bama?
Old 12-05-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They say they are going to have a press confrence about it tomorrow... most people on the A&M and Bama forums are considering it a done deal.
Old 12-05-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

woohooo.. go fran go!
I wonder if bama can get dubose back!!!
Old 12-05-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think he spoke at the Atlanta Touchdown Club last night. No questions about the potential job change were allowed though.

I guess it's just part of the business of college football, but it sucks that he convinced all of those players to stay with the promise that he was going to ride the sanctions out.
Old 12-05-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

espn reporting its a done deal
Old 12-05-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WHOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can finally get back to work. This has been a very unproductive week.
Old 12-05-02, 06:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if he knows something about more violations coming out down the road and the program getting hammered again from the NCAA.
Old 12-05-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MrX
I wonder if he knows something about more violations coming out down the road and the program getting hammered again from the NCAA.
that would rock

but i doubt it
Old 12-05-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrX
i heard that there is old stuff that is going to be reinvestigated.
Old 12-05-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is bad news for Tech.
Old 12-05-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigDave

Seriously, I need to take the weekend to soak all this in... A&M has done more in the last 4 days to improve our football program that they have in the last 4 years.
Old 12-06-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO Alabama is still under Bear Brynat's shadow. They need to hire someone who will stay there ut with an NCAA cloud over them it's gonna be hard for them.
Old 12-06-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by hypeiv
Seriously, I need to take the weekend to soak all this in... A&M has done more in the last 4 days to improve our football program that they have in the last 4 years.
I guess you haven't been here that long. I'd say this is more than we've done in the last decade.

I just got done watching the press conference. We got ourselves a good man and his wife said this is they're last stop.
Old 12-06-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigDave

I assume that Dave went to the Kyle Field "introduction" this morning? (or was that just something I heard)
Old 12-06-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I assume that Dave went to the Kyle Field "introduction" this morning? (or was that just something I heard)
I wanted to, but I'm kinda sick and being out in 30 degree weather wouldn't have been a good idea.

I watched it in my office instead. Now if I would have known that they let the students into the Zone Club to watch it, I would have been there.
Old 12-06-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

now there are pretty 'substantial' rumors that at least one of fran's assistant coaches were calling the bama players and recruiting them to aTm, several days before fran took the job

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.