Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

what are your thoughts on barry sanders?

Old 10-29-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

what are your thoughts on barry sanders?

with all this talk about greatest running backs and such.

Im curious of what everyone's thoughts are on barry sanders

in my opinion.. barry would have been the greatest running back of all time.. if he had not retired so early..

and I personally cant help but feel cheated by the way he left.. I know he didnt owe us anything.. but it just really sucked to see him leave like that..

was it really bobby ross that was the final straw? or was he just tired of losing

there have been rumors in the past few years about him coming back.. of course, I dont think there is any way he will come back now.. but i wonder if it really was eating him up inside that he left the game so early, and if he was having internal turmoil over whether or not to return.

if Im not mistaken.. barry was about 1500 yards away from payton when he retired.. and he did it in 10 seasons?
payton took 13.. and I believe this is emmitt's 13th season as well?
Old 10-29-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Barry would have broken the record last year. He is ahead of Emmitt on my greatest list. Emmitt was awesome, but I can only wonder what Barry could have done behind one of the greatest OLs of all time.
Old 10-29-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would definitely rate Barry above Emmitt on the all time list. Like you said, Sanders would have ended his career close to 20,000 yards if he didn't retire in his prime. Emmit had the advantage because he played with some GREAT, HOF offensive lineman. Barry line sucked so much, he would routinely be stopped in the backfield, but most of the time could jitterbug his way to positive yardage. IMO the all time rushing record isn't that big of a deal. Up until this year how many people even had Payton as one of their top 3 backs of all time?
Old 10-29-02, 11:23 AM

I think Barry is the greatest RB ever, and am sad that his career ended the way it did. He would have owned rushing records like Jerry Rice owns receiving records.
Old 10-29-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely think that Barry would have eclipsed 20,000 yards rushing if he hadn't retired prematurely. I agree with DarkElf in that he would own the rushing records the way Rice owns the receiving records (although I doubt Barry would have the rushing TDs record).

As of right now, I list Jim Brown as #1 and Barry as #2. Had Barry kept playing football, I'm pretty confident, that many more people than now would rank Barry #1.

Here are his stats:

+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Rushing | Receiving |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 1989 det | 15 | 280 1470 5.2 14 | 24 282 11.8 0 |
| 1990 det | 16 | 255 1304 5.1 13 | 36 480 13.3 3 |
| 1991 det | 15 | 342 1548 4.5 16 | 41 307 7.5 1 |
| 1992 det | 16 | 312 1352 4.3 9 | 29 225 7.8 1 |
| 1993 det | 11 | 243 1115 4.6 3 | 36 205 5.7 0 |
| 1994 det | 16 | 331 1883 5.7 7 | 44 283 6.4 1 |
| 1995 det | 16 | 314 1500 4.8 11 | 48 398 8.3 1 |
| 1996 det | 16 | 307 1553 5.1 11 | 24 147 6.1 0 |
| 1997 det | 16 | 335 2053 6.1 11 | 33 305 9.2 3 |
| 1998 det | 16 | 343 1491 4.3 4 | 37 289 7.8 0 |
| TOTAL | 153 | 3062 15269 5.0 99 | 352 2921 8.3 10 |

Absolutely incredible.

Old 10-29-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by immortal_zeus

As of right now, I list Jim Brown as #1 and Barry as #2. Had Barry kept playing football, I'm pretty confident, that many more people than now would rank Barry #1.

That's probably how I would stack them up. I don't know who I would put at #3. There are a number of contenders.
Old 10-29-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sorry but Sanders never delivered in the playoffs. One year against Green Bay he had negative yardage! Brown, Payton (who played behind some VERY bad OL's), and Emmitt would be my top three.
Old 10-29-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dubya
I'm sorry but Sanders never delivered in the playoffs. One year against Green Bay he had negative yardage! Brown, Payton (who played behind some VERY bad OL's), and Emmitt would be my top three.
The Lions wouldn't even been in the playoffs if it wasn't for Sanders. Those were some BAD teams.
Old 10-29-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JNielsen
The Lions wouldn't even been in the playoffs if it wasn't for Sanders. Those were some BAD teams.

No doubt. He made a 3-13 or 4-12 team into a 9-7 or 10-6 team. Just look at how bad the Lions have been without him the last several years.
Old 10-29-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
No doubt. He made a 3-13 or 4-12 team into a 9-7 or 10-6 team. Just look at how bad the Lions have been without him the last several years.
That's cause Scott Mitchell isn't there anymore.

Old 10-29-02, 05:25 PM

I remember hearing a story about him wanting to retire before he broke Payton's record, because Payton was his hero. I don't know how true that is, but if it is, maybe he will make a comeback now that Smith has it? I've heard about him not wanting to play for the Lions as well, thus being a reason for retirement. I remember hearing that he really wanted to play for the Chiefs.
Old 10-29-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would put Jim Brown #1 and Sanders #2 also. Someone mentioned that Emmit ran behind a great offensive line but Sanders played in the run and shoot for a while. The run and shoot spreads the defense so it's easier to run on.
Old 10-29-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by viscera
I remember hearing a story about him wanting to retire before he broke Payton's record, because Payton was his hero. I don't know how true that is, but if it is, maybe he will make a comeback now that Smith has it? I've heard about him not wanting to play for the Lions as well, thus being a reason for retirement. I remember hearing that he really wanted to play for the Chiefs.
Actually, I think Jim Brown was his idol, not Payton...but I could be wrong.

Interestingly, when Barry was in his prime and shortly after he retired, Barry's own father said that Jim Brown was the best ever...and not his son, Barry.

Old 10-29-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guys I would put above Emmitt:

Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
OJ Simpson
Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
Walter Payton
Steve Van Buren
Tony Dorsett
Marion Motley
Marcus Allen
Joe Perry
Herschel Walker

Guys I would put above Barry Sanders:
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Earl Campbell

Sanders played the game the way it was meant to be played. Because he quit on his own terms pisses some people off because they want players to quit on their terms.
Old 10-29-02, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
Guys I would put above Emmitt:

Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
OJ Simpson
Earl Campbell
Eric Dickerson
Walter Payton
Steve Van Buren
Tony Dorsett
Marion Motley
Marcus Allen
Joe Perry
Herschel Walker

Isn't this a thread about Barry Sanders?
Old 10-29-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zak52
Isn't this a thread about Barry Sanders?

Old 10-29-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JNielsen
I would definitely rate Barry above Emmitt on the all time list. Like you said, Sanders would have ended his career close to 20,000 yards if he didn't retire in his prime. Emmit had the advantage because he played with some GREAT, HOF offensive lineman. Barry line sucked so much, he would routinely be stopped in the backfield, but most of the time could jitterbug his way to positive yardage. IMO the all time rushing record isn't that big of a deal. Up until this year how many people even had Payton as one of their top 3 backs of all time?
part of the reason barry got stopped behind the line so much was his running style. he made many moves and reversed fields many times. he didnt always follow the design of the play. i am not saying his o-line wasn't bad, but some of it was his own fault.

personally barry was my favorite back. i never had the opportunity to watch brown and the backs of the that era, and i only watched payton at the tail end of his career. but barry was the consumate pro in my opinion. when he scored a touchdown, he acted like he had been there before, tossing the ball to the ref and congratulating his line for doing their jobs. he didnt do any of the crazy stuff that goes on now. i mean jeremy shockey's celebration after he caught a ball on mon night was more than barry ever celebrated in the end zone. it was absolutely disgusting to see that kind of taunting for catching a ball for a first down. i would also have to say barry is number 2 behind brown.
Old 10-29-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Barry is the greatest running back of all time.

I was alway amused watching his father talk... "Yeah Barry is a good player, but he's no Jim Brown...now Jim Brown, there was a running back...blah, blah, blah....Jim Brown...."

Different style of runners, but I would rather watch Barry run any day.
Old 10-29-02, 10:40 PM

Barry Sanders was the greatest pure runner ever. Wasn't a good blocker at all, but a tremendous runner.

I think he is the best. You can argue Jim Brown, but keep in mind that the athletes that Barry went up against were many times better than the defenses that Jim Brown faced. Barry Sanders didn't see 240 pound defensive linemen, and 180 pound linebackers too often.

Not that this is Jim Brown's fault, but it is something to consider.
Old 10-29-02, 11:06 PM

The one thing that never makes any sense to me in these arguments is when people make a statement to the effect of, "well if Barry had played longer, he would be the greatest." He did play longer than Jim Brown. And further if you give all the backs equal games played, Jim Brown would be far out ahead of all the others. Then there truly would be no comparison or argument. But that is not the case, so we have to use some judgement and our opinions. Personally I think that Barry is the second best ever. Mainly I feel this way because of how he dominated his competition most of the time. But he is a far step below Brown, imho.
Old 10-30-02, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Barry Sanders was the best pure runner ever but Emmitt is the better overall back he was alot more versatile than Barry he could run,block and catch passes out of the backfield and more importantly he helped his team win. The Cowboys just weren't the same team when he didn't play.

If I had to chose between Emmitt and Barry for my team I'd take Emmitt anyday of the week.
Simply put If I want to wow people I'd take Barry if I want to win I'd get Emmitt.

Last edited by Manco; 10-30-02 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-30-02, 06:32 AM

here is the problem guys

Barry Sanders has NOT filed any retirement papers with the National Football League, he is just on the longest contract holdout in NFL history

it's always funny, right about this time of year, somebody brings up the idea of Barry Sanders being traded to a contender, but it always passes with no comment.
Old 10-30-02, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, but after (what is it now?) three seasons off, do you even think it would be possible for a comeback? It doesn't really matter to me, since it almost definately won't be Detroit!

And Barry did win games, look how bad the Lions suck with-out him!
Old 10-30-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Manco

I f I had to chose between Emmitt and Barry for my team I'd take Emmitt anyday of the week.
Simply put If I want wow people I'd Barry if I want to win I'd get Emmitt.

dallas fan?
Old 10-30-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember a monday night game years ago between the Lions and Redskins and Joe Gibbs was in the box with them for a few minutes. Al Michaels asked him how he thought Barry would have done behind the Hogs in the 80's and without hesitating Gibbs replied "eh, probably around 3,000 yards" ....and the rest didn't argue

Barry was hands down the greatest runner to grace the field since Jim Brown...Brown has the greatest career ypg average at 104, Barry is second with 99.x a game for his career. And that was done behind extremely mediocre lines. He would be around 20,000 right now had he stayed, and that after the same number of seasons as Payton and Emmit (13).....I really hate all this Emmit is the greatest bs because, although surely he was very very good, he also had the benefit of playing on very very good teams with a great o-line for years. He hasn't really done much in the last few years with a mediocre line if you haven't noticed. If Emmit had been on the lions for ten years there's no way in hell he gets the record....If Barry had been on the Cowboys for ten years he would have broken the record in that 10th season easily....

So there it is:

Jim Brown (who also only played ten seasons)
Barry Sanders

and the rest all somewhere behind them.....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.