4.Virginia Tech 8.63
5.Georgia 8.69
6.Ohio State 8.89
7.Washington State 19.44
8.Michigan 19.83
9.LSU 20.71
10.Texas 21.37

Discuss.

Last edited by Quake1028; 10-21-02 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

i dont think this will get enough discussion by itself
thats why there is a combined polls thread

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=232419
Old 10-21-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
NC State not in the top ten is a fantasic thing.
Old 10-21-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/bcs/ran...2002-2003.html

Now, two questions.

1. Some of these people really think there are 5 teams in the country better than Miami?

2. How does Miami not have any quality win points? Isn't it wins over the BCS top 15?
Old 10-21-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Quake1028

Now, two questions.

1. Some of these people really think there are 5 teams in the country better than Miami?
btw.. those are people that say there are 5 teams better then miami.. those are computers.. and based on the numbers, there are currently 5 teams better then miami.. but those numbers will change as the season goes on.. especially if miami beats va tech.

2. How does Miami not have any quality win points? Isn't it wins over the BCS top 15?
1. thats just plain silly.. but there are some people that think nebraska should still be ranked

2. Quality Win Component - The quality win component will reward to varying degrees teams that defeat opponents ranked among the top 10 in the weekly standings. The bonus point scale will range from a high of 1.0 points for a win over the top ranked team to a low of 0.1 for a victory over the 10th-ranked BCS team. The BCS Standings at the end of the season will determine final quality win points. If a team registers a victory over a team more than once during the regular season, quality points will be awarded just once. Quality win points are based on the standings determined by the subtotal. The final standings are reconfigured to reflect the quality win point deduction.
Old 10-21-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Top 10. Ok, gotcha.
Old 10-21-02, 10:39 PM
Banned

This ND streak is really starting to piss me off. It was just bothering me, but when you rank them above VT, that is when you go too far.

Since we are on the subject, what are peoples thoughts on the BCS ranking system? Some like it, and some hate it. Would you rather see playoffs before the big game? Last year was total crap as far as BCS bowl games go. Is there a better system which should be used?
Old 10-21-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am constantly amazed at how ND is able to pull wins out of their arse week after week...the first several wins were pure luck...now it looks like their offense is starting to play better...

I expect FSU to beat the tar out of them this week (not that I like either team, but ND has to go down.....)

This is a bit of a suprise...GO MICHIGAN!! (going to be a tough game against Iowa this weekend)
Old 10-22-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
I expect FSU to beat the tar out of them this week (not that I like either team, but ND has to go down.....)

This is a bit of a suprise...GO MICHIGAN!! (going to be a tough game against Iowa this weekend)
I really dislike the ND sense of entitlement. Oh, and Muck Fichigan.
Old 10-22-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm happy for ND. It's been years since they've done anything.

Much as I have to root for Miami (Big East fan), I've always pulled for ND.
Old 10-22-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for once ND is under ratted on the human polls... if they were say 2 and 3 on the AP / USA poll they would be a close to #1 on the BCS. The human polls are what put them in the number 3 spot since they were 6 and 6 on the AP / USA poll.

in the past ND has been overrated in these polls, leading to blow outs in the bowl games (ie 2000, and after that blow out i think they went down one spot while other teams who lost by less than 3 points wend down 4 or 5 spots)

ND's points are 6 + 1.333 + .04 - .3 = 7.073

the 6 is the average of the human polls the 1.333 is the average of the computer polls... if nd was say 2 and 3 on the AP/USA polls their points would be 2.5 + 1.333 + .04 -.3 = 3.573 = #1 on bcs
Old 10-22-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Now, two questions.

1. It is computers not people.

2. They changed the QW component - only for wins over BCS top-10

Personally, I would prefer computer rankings over human rankings. The computer does not give a head start to teams that are highly ranked before playing a single game. Unless you see every game which is impossible for a coach and practically impossible for a writer, how can one truly rank teams - at least in an official capacity. I think if you are not going to have a playoff, I think the BCS is a better way than simply relying on the AP and Coaches polls. The BCS is certainly better than the old bowl system where deals were cut in early November.

As for Miami being shortchanged, don't worry about it. If they win out, they will be in the Fiesta Bowl. Who cares if you are #1 or #2?

For the person who is pissed about Notre Dame being higher than VT - same thing...if VT wins out, they will be in the top-2, no question.
Old 10-22-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Didn't the BCS do away with margin of victories?
Old 10-22-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by classicman2
Didn't the BCS do away with margin of victories?
Yes
Old 10-22-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

human polls are skewed in the middle of the season becuase they look ahead. A team that has to play a hard team the next week (ie Notre Dame), won't do so well in the human polls. On the other hand the computer doesn't look ahead It looks at the strength of the teams a certain team has already played and how they did. But closer to the end of the season the computer and human polls start merging and getting closer to each other.

Some people think once the bcs is out some of the voters on human polls start looking at bcs rankings to pick who to vote for.
Old 10-22-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by hypeiv
human polls are skewed in the middle of the season becuase they look ahead. A team that has to play a hard team the next week (ie Notre Dame), won't do so well in the human polls.

I don't really agree with this. Polls are skewed toward the past. A coach or writer will look at the previous weeks poll and then see how each team performed. If they won, they'll either move them up or keep them the same (if nobody ahead of them lost). If they lost, they will move them down. They certainly don't look at the big picture - they move them up or down solely based on the last performance. This is precisely why I hate the human polls - if you are ranked highly in the preseason poll, you have a huge advantage for no discernable reason.
Old 10-22-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with Red Dog that the polls are definitely skewed towards the past. If you start the preseason poll not highly ranked, it's impossible to move above another team that was ranked higher unless they lose, even if the initially lower ranked team is having a more impressive season. It doesn't seem like teams are moving up that much for big wins anymore, or other teams dropping for barely hanging on against marginal opponents.
Old 10-22-02, 03:10 PM

Let's go Iowa and Florida State!!!!

Ohio State really needs FSU to knock off ND in the BCS.
And did I see someone already say Muck Fichigan, Amen!!!

The Va Tech and Miami at the end of the season will knock one of the two out of the National Championships, all I need to see is a team to upset Oklahoma to set up a potential National Championship between Ohio State and Miami/Va Tech.
Old 10-22-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Ranger02
Let's go Iowa and Florida State!!!!

Ohio State really needs FSU to knock off ND in the BCS.
And did I see someone already say Muck Fichigan, Amen!!!

The Va Tech and Miami at the end of the season will knock one of the two out of the National Championships, all I need to see is a team to upset Oklahoma to set up a potential National Championship between Ohio State and Miami/Va Tech.

You're forgetting one very important thing. Ohio State has to win out. I would worry about that more than Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Georgia right now. Right now I actually project Ohio State to get to the title game because their biggest hurdles are at home, no Iowa, and there is no conf title game to worry about.
Old 10-22-02, 03:44 PM

Michigan looks to be the biggest hurrdle, but yeah, we have them in the 'Shoe. And Tressel isn't Cooper and Krenzel isn't Bellisari.
Chances are good.
Old 10-22-02, 04:49 PM
Banned

Here is why I am bitter about ND. 2 years ago (Michael Vicks last year at VT) we lost one game to #1 Miami and ended up going to the worthless Gator Bowl. Who took our BCS bid and got slaughtered? That's right... Notre Dame. I'm still bitter. We are going to have a tough challenge facing Miami (it can be done) but worse case senerio, I don't want to see ND taking our bid again.
Old 10-22-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by joshd2012
Here is why I am bitter about ND. 2 years ago (Michael Vicks last year at VT) we lost one game to #1 Miami and ended up going to the worthless Gator Bowl. Who took our BCS bid and got slaughtered? That's right... Notre Dame. I'm still bitter. We are going to have a tough challenge facing Miami (it can be done) but worse case senerio, I don't want to see ND taking our bid again.

That definitely was a snow job especially since VT had amptly demonstrated that they bring a lot of fans to their bowl games. That was purely a TV decision.

I think it would take a near miracle for ND not to get a BCS birth (3 losses) now. However, I think VT stands on solid ground for the other at-large birth assuming their only loss is to an undefeated Miami. I think the only realistic way that it would not happen is if Ohio State finishes in the top-2 with Miami (and goes to the Fiesta instead of Rose) and there is another Big-10 team with 9 wins and in the BCS top-12. Under this scenario, the Rose Bowl would opt to take the qualifying Big-10 team to keep the tradition of a Big-10/Pac-10 matchup.
Old 10-22-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For the person who is pissed about Notre Dame being higher than VT - same thing...if VT wins out, they will be in the top-2, no question.

Not so fast. What if Oklahoma and Notre Dame win out also? VT I think will lose out to those 2 due to strength of schedule. I think the only teams right now that control their own destiny are Miami and Oklahoma. If they win out, no matter who else does, they play for the National Title.
Old 10-22-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Not so fast. What if Oklahoma and Notre Dame win out also? VT I think will lose out to those 2 due to strength of schedule. I think the only teams right now that control their own destiny are Miami and Oklahoma. If they win out, no matter who else does, they play for the National Title.
a win against miami would give VT a boost in schedule strength and quality win

if Im not mistaken.. the strength of schedule, is based on the games you have played so far.. so some of the teams with lower SS will move up still
Old 10-22-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

VT's strength of schedule will definitely be better, considering they would have beaten Miami, not to mention LSU, Texas A&M, Marshall, Boston College, Virginia and Pitt.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.