Champaign Cornpickers Nashville Automatons
Johnsonville MudCats OC Indys
6 Star Teams
Rhode Island Generals Tiny Little Balls
5 Star (and lower) Teams
Ambrosians
Old 10-18-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Help! I can't resist Fast Forwarding live games! Somebody help me!
Old 10-18-02, 01:54 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Heh.. well.. in this case it helped. I didn't have to wait to see if I lost or won and by how much.. At least it was a close game. ... Hopefully my team does better in the BOTR... Not a good season for me this time. I don't like being on the verge of being demoted to the 2nd division and the 6th pro league.
Old 10-18-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He Vryce, give the Balls some credit. We're a 7*
Old 10-18-02, 02:03 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Sockmonkey
He Vryce, give the Balls some credit. We're a 7*
I just copied twikoffs first post from the previous thread. He can update all the star levels and such when he is back and the next season starts..
Old 10-18-02, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Vryce
Heh.. well.. in this case it helped. I didn't have to wait to see if I lost or won and by how much.. At least it was a close game. ... Hopefully my team does better in the BOTR... Not a good season for me this time. I don't like being on the verge of being demoted to the 2nd division and the 6th pro league.
Seems like we have all been pretty bad this season in the First Division. Except of course for the playoff teams that is. I have been incredibly inconsistent, winning six in a row a couple of days ago to get over .500 then dropping five straight.
Sometimes I just cant figure this game out. I thinks its safe to assume that most of us are fairly equal teams and it depends on the day whether you win or lose. Good luck in the pro-league. Just to let you know I will be playing our game either Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.
Old 10-18-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon

Sockmonkey's ears must be burning all the time!!!
I guess. I rarely step in here, but happened to see something about TLB... now you've got me wondering.

Frankly, I think they're doing pretty well for a three-season old team which typically plays only DTSL teams (which seem to be, on average, of much better skill level than random SB teams).

Should I bail out of this league, or what?
Old 10-18-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Should I bail out of this league, or what?
no way!!
why would you want to do that?

I agree that your team as made A LOT of progress.
Old 10-18-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wheredebo
no way!!
why would you want to do that?

I agree that your team as made A LOT of progress.
Well, Y2k Falcon got me curious, so I started going back through previous threads. There was a lot of talk about how bad it was to lose to TLB. I can take a friendly ribbing better than the next guy, but it just didn't seem like that was the intention.

So, I got to wondering... why is it such a big deal for an 8-9* team to lose to a 6-7* team? It happens frequently. I'm wondering (partly because I rarely participate in these threads) if I have an "underappreciation" for how bad the TLB really is?
Old 10-18-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Y2k Falcon got me curious, so I started going back through previous threads. There was a lot of talk about how bad it was to lose to TLB. I can take a friendly ribbing better than the next guy, but it just didn't seem like that was the intention.

So, I got to wondering... why is it such a big deal for an 8-9* team to lose to a 6-7* team? It happens frequently. I'm wondering (partly because I rarely participate in these threads) if I have an "underappreciation" for how bad the TLB really is?
Sockmonkey: They way I joked about losing to the TLB, was the same way we used to joke about losing to Y2k, Vryce and others. Whoever is the newest at the time is the butt of some jokes!

The TLB's have improved tremendously, 7*s is a accomplishment, I have been working on my guys since May and have only been at 9*s for about a month.

Normally a 9* team does not lose to a 7* team, so it is the rarity, except in Monster Stadium.

Please forgive me if I overdramatized my loss to your guys.

You beat me fair and square!
Old 10-18-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO...

Your team came in at a 3 or 4* level, right?
So teams were used to beating up on you at that point. Now that you have a higher rating, it's not as easy to get a win off you. However, people remember the days when your team was weak and still associate a loss to you as a loss to a low-rated team. That's, of course, no longer the case. I would say the same holds true for Borst and Jenn.

You can get from 1* to 6* faster than you can get from 7* to 9*
I know my team has not improved very much recently, but yours has. I mean, the lowest rating in the 1st 3 divisions is 7*. We're all (more or less) pretty close in my opinion.

does this make sense? am I just rambling?
Old 10-18-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

speaking of being made fun of...

My team has been in the 3rd division for 9 straight seasons, soon to be 10!!

I don't know how I've escaped torment for this accomplishment. Maybe it should be on the 'records' page.
Old 10-18-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mgfred
the same way we used to joke about losing to Y2k, Vryce and others.
"used to joke..." - Yeah right.

Sockmonkey, Fred is right (maybe just this once). The "OMFG I just lost to the new guy/twikoff/Kevin's Contractors/etc., my team sucks" thing has been going on since, well, since IdgIe's team was only on its second name. It's really a recognition that your team is actually able to beat the solid DTSL talent we have. Don't take it negatively at all!
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Vryce
I just copied twikoffs first post from the previous thread. He can update all the star levels and such when he is back and the next season starts..
except i only update the league and star tables at the start of each new season

TLB.. it will probably be updated tuesday
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMO...

Your team came in at a 3 or 4* level, right?
So teams were used to beating up on you at that point. Now that you have a higher rating, it's not as easy to get a win off you. However, people remember the days when your team was weak and still associate a loss to you as a loss to a low-rated team. That's, of course, no longer the case. I would say the same holds true for Borst and Jenn.

You can get from 1* to 6* faster than you can get from 7* to 9*
I know my team has not improved very much recently, but yours has. I mean, the lowest rating in the 1st 3 divisions is 7*. We're all (more or less) pretty close in my opinion.

does this make sense? am I just rambling?
Yeah, that makes sense, thanks! I guess I'll have to "suck-it-up"

Actually... I came in as a 1* . I created my team the day before the season started.

It has been an interesting progression because, essentially, all the teams in my division have grown along with each other. Soon, we'll all be the same damn skill level. And yet, I'm still faced with being "demoted"

I haven't been very vocal (ok, at all vocal) in the discussion of demotions to AAA, but I agree with Borst. Us "little" guys sure as hell don't want to be sent down to AAA after doing all the work we've done with our teams. Nor do I like the prospect of lower-ranked teams fighting through a ton of new 8-9* teams every season. I guess I don't really have a solution there...

Last edited by Sockmonkey; 10-18-02 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-18-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It has been an interesting progression because, essentially, all the teams in my division have grown along with each other. Soon, we'll all be the same damn skill level. And yet, I'm still faced with being "demoted"

I haven't been very vocal (ok, at all vocal) in the discussion of demotions to AAA, but I agree with Borst. Us "little" guys sure as hell don't want to be sent down to AAA after doing all the work we've done with our teams. Nor do I like the prospect of lower-ranked teams fighting through a ton of new 8-9* teams every season. I guess I don't really have a solution there...
Actually if you look at the team #'s in the 3rd division, there are some pretty old teams, at least 2 older than mine.

Here's what you are up against:

This league is in it's 12th season, there are teams so good, that at this point, you have another couple of months before you can hang with them. Progression through 1-7*s comes fast, 8-9*s takes a long time!

How well you eventually do depends on how much time and effort you spend on your team, age is not the only factor on being good, you get what you put into it!

Demotion into AAA is really nothing to worry about. The competition with the scrubs is close to the same level as division 3(maybe better). A newer team like yours is not going anywhere for at least another 3-4 seasons easy.

Very very soon, every team in the top 3 divisions here will be 9*s just about. Third division or AAA it really doesn't make a difference. It's going to be a while before you have the a chance to move up. However if you work hard like Y2K, Vryce, Das (and others I may have forget to mention), you will be up there. It is just going to take time.

PS: If you think we've ever ragged on the TLB, what Y2K has gone through (and still does got through) has been far more outrageous! He must have the hide of a Elephant!
Old 10-18-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hey jnielsen,
are you still wanting to get the lil' bing up to the pro leagues?
Yea, any more help would be great.

DarkElf, once again its going to come down to the last day of the season to decide who gets the premiership pennant. Looks like all Bada Bing needs is a win from either the Raiders or Goodfellas and they'll be back on top of the division where they belong.
Old 10-18-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sockmonkey - the tiny little balls and the bombers will be in AAA next season but it will be fun cause we know we'll go back up to third division the following one and by then there should be more teams and I dont plan on going back down to AAA again

I have a favor to ask for next season, can whoever has a scrub team play me a bunch of times so I can get on the proleague qualifying list, by end of next season I should be a high 7* or maybe even a low 8* and compete in the pros, I didn't want to go in too soon and get kicked in and out several times
Old 10-18-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Borst
Sockmonkey - the tiny little balls and the bombers will be in AAA next season but it will be fun cause we know we'll go back up to third division the following one and by then there should be more teams and I dont plan on going back down to AAA again

I have a favor to ask for next season, can whoever has a scrub team play me a bunch of times so I can get on the proleague qualifying list, by end of next season I should be a high 7* or maybe even a low 8* and compete in the pros, I didn't want to go in too soon and get kicked in and out several times
Borst: Do not worry about making the pros next season until the last weekend. If you get on the list early, then you will be a target, arrive late and no one will know until it's too late to beat you down! Now you will have to give up on playing us 9* teams and keep you winning % at a moderate level.

We've never failed getting a dvdtalk team into the pro leagues!
Old 10-18-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only if you give up on playing tons of games and racking up a high HR with them!

Borst's Bombers (BB)
******* today
Honor rating: 6.9
GP: 173
W/L: .109
Old 10-18-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah yeah I like playing 9* teams cause it's a challenge but my stats suck because of it, next season I wont be playing 6-8 games a day vs 9* teams I'll still play a lot but will find 7* maybe some 8* teams to play
Old 10-18-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JNielsen
Yea, any more help would be great.
I will make sure it happens!!
Old 10-18-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will make sure it happens!!
You're the man, thanks
Old 10-18-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what team JNielson? I'll give them some wins too (if I some how beat them I'll stop challenging them)
Old 10-18-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what team JNielson? I'll give them some wins too (if I some how beat them I'll stop challenging them)
it's Lil' Bing #102586

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright ę 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.