Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

ECW -- Good news/Bad news?

Old 10-09-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
ECW -- Good news/Bad news?

This was originally reported in the NY Daily News...
ECW may return under McMahon

Picture people fighting with barbed wire, diving off balconies and crashing through tables or swinging and flinging Singapore canes. We're talking about the return of ECW.

The man behind this idea is Vince McMahon. And it takes a big man like McMahon to admit a mistake.

Anyway, at a stockholders' meeting recently, Vince said that splitting the talent into two groups ["Raw" and "Smackdown"] was a mistake. So he's considering bringing back the ECW.

He would probably revert to the traditional wild ways of ECW and air ECW shows as late-night programs, but under the WWE banner.

McMahon has such popular former ECW stars as Tommy Dreamer, the Dudley Boyz, Rob Van Dam, Tazz and Rhyno. And he would have instant controversy.

Rhyno charges that since he was the last one to hold the ECW heavyweight title before it folded its ring posts, he should begin the new era as the ERA champion if it is brought back. And who are we to argue with a charging Rhyno?

If all goes well, the revival of ECW could take place by early next year.
Also [in unrelated news] the WWE has given the "pink slip" to Mike Awesome and Shawn Stasiak.
Old 10-09-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About time he realized the splitting of the rosters was a mistake. Combine them and make Bischoff the GM and take out all the HLA stuff Bischoff has been doing. Yes, it makes people watch, but the wrestling action is put on the back burner because of it.
Old 10-09-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sounds like an interesting plan. As long as they show it on TNN and not UPN(dont get that) I'm down.

(unrelated)That TLC match on RAW has to be one of the best matches I've seen all year. I thought the gimmick that night was pretty interesting(but they cant do that everyweek), but that 4-way match was amazing. The fans in the audience were yelling h*ly sh*t throughout most of the match. (/unrelated)
Old 10-09-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so bring tazz back as the ftw champ.. i kinda miss the human suplex machine. he's just not announcer material.

heyman must be laughing right now.. though i have no doubt he has been in the works to pull something like this

no what to do about sandman, super crazy, new jack??
Old 10-09-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by devilshalo
now what to do about sandman, super crazy, new jack??
BRING THEM BACK! New Jack was the most entertaining beast ever, and the sandman has had some of the most classic matches I've ever seen.
Old 10-09-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hmm i thought the splitting was a good thing?! im confused..

as for the TLC match.. it was BEAUTIFUL..

although every minute Kane was allowed to move or do something, it sucked BALLS. when he was down and out, it was GREATNESS.. (exception: chokeslam off the top of the ladder)
Old 10-09-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, I TOTALLY miss ECW.
it won't be the same ECW, though.
I just can't see McMahon signing The Sandman, New Jack, Sabu, etc.

it's a shame Awesome got his release.
imo - he was never given a chance to prove his worth, probably due to injury
Old 10-09-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Question...

I really don't know too much about ECW, but do ya figure that Tommy, the Dudleyz, & RVD would go back to ECW? I'm wondering what McMahon has in mind as far as all the shows are concerned. Bubba's probably my favorite of the four. RVD sucks on the mic, but he more than makes up for it in the ring.
Old 10-09-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I doubt McMahon will go full tilt with this. Looks like we will get a water down version of ECW.
Old 10-09-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Looks like we will get a water down version of ECW.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The only way to have the old ECW back is for Vince McMahon NOT to own it. He wouldn't have ECW back the way it was! The Flaming Tables and New Jack diving from balconies, McMahon would not have that happen! His ECW would have wrestlers like RVD and Tommy Dreamer have a Cage Match or something. He wouldn't push the envelope that far.
Old 10-09-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
ECW was the way it was because it wanted to be extreme and it was. Vince's version of this would most likley be something watered down and trying to be something hard when it's not even medicore.

Oh well, we have our tapes as memories. aslong as vince controls the market, there will not be anything extreme from his products
Old 10-10-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
ECW was the way it was because it wanted to be extreme and it was. Vince's version of this would most likley be something watered down and trying to be something hard when it's not even medicore.

Oh well, we have our tapes as memories. aslong as vince controls the market, there will not be anything extreme from his products
True, it may be watered down, but I would at least give it a chance.

I wonder if they would bring back Stiles and Gertner? Either way, I would want the old time ECW wrestlers, not the WWF guys that they don't have plans for.

Maybe I have just outgrown wrestling, and have gotten too picky? I dunno, but I would still give it a chance.
Old 10-10-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pixyboi
although every minute Kane was allowed to move or do something, it sucked BALLS.
You mean Kane the murderer?

So let me get this straight, Kane is a murderer, but he's also the half-brother of a murderer... the Undertaker. Remember, Undertaker murderered his parents in the fire that burned Kane...