Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Could LSU beat FLA this Sat?

Old 10-06-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could LSU beat FLA this Sat?

Dare I say it?!!

FLA hasn't been looking too good lately. But LSU will have a tough shot at beating FLA in the FLA swamp. Now I like the Gators, well the OLD Gators, I mean.

I still thnk LSU has a chance, or would you say I've lost my mind?

Plus, after LSU, FLA'll be playing Auburn! ooh....

Could Fla lose three in a row?

Look on the bright side, if they do, ron'll definitely be fired!

Sorry this is early but gosh...
Old 10-06-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

could they? possibly
will they? probably not.. florida has more talent.. and florida has a history of huge games after a loss.. of course, that was under spurrier, but most of this coaching staff is the same

florida didnt look good against ole miss.. but they looked great against tennessee.. so I guess it all depends on which game you want to judge them by..

an lsu win in this game would shock me.. but Ive been shocked before.
Old 10-06-02, 07:16 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Being up here, I have NO idea what happened to Toefield. All I saw was a quote from Bradie James saying "I hope it's not as bad as it is." If he's not 100%, I don't give them much of a chance. Although looking at just the stats, that Addai(sp?) seemed to fill in pretty well. And of course Mauck can't win in a shootout. I'll be more willing to make a prediction later this week.
Old 10-06-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it is a tough call.

Tennesse hasn't really been that strong lately, so I don't think we can count that in Fla's favor.

Ole Miss esp. with Manning is a good team, but Fla should have beaten them easily. It makes me wonder if the team is having more troubles with its fine coaching. Fla does have a ton of talent, but I was still shocked at how horrible their O was yesterday, their D seemed like they did the job.
Old 10-06-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk God

it seems like the gators live and die by grossman
if he has a good day.. I think they may be a top 10 team.. (definitly not the best team)

if he is off (like against ole miss), they are just average, and could lose to any good team that is playing well
Old 10-06-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder how long it will be before the players give up on Zook?

I am thinking it is going to be real soon. Florida isn't used to losing 2 conference games early, they are used to winning big.

You can see Grossman getting tired of getting knocked around while watching the millions of dollars he could be getting in the NFL diminish with every interception.

They aren't playing Florida football, and they miss Spurrier's confidence and swagger.

I hope they don't mind seeing goalposts torn down, because they could see it a couple more times this year.
Old 10-06-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Florida's defense will allow Florida to beat LSU. They gave up less than 200 yards of total offense to Ole Miss. The only reason they scored 17 were from Rex Grosman's turnovers and his intentional grounding safety. The UF defense sacked Eli Manning for the first time since last November on Saturday.

I'll take Florida 28-17.
Old 10-06-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that makes sense, TruGator.

You know, Grossman reminds me of a similar situation.
When Skip Bertman (a legend!) was announcing that he'd no longer coach LSU baseball after winning the College World Series a couple of summers ago. Mike Fontenot, a young second baseman that had a chance going pro ever since high school, decided to leave LSU in his second year and go pro, he's currently at the Tampa Bay minor league I think, but still has a huge contract. I haven't followed up on him lately.

But Grossman still can go pro after college.
Old 10-07-02, 02:33 AM

I can't see UF losing again this weekend. I think they will be a hungry team, one that wants to take its frustrations out on a Top 25 team to prove they are still the Mighty Gators. If what I heard about Toefield being out for the rest of the season is true, I just don't see LSU being able to score enough points. I also think this weekend will be a good indicator of who will win the East, with UGA and Tenn playing. If UF and UGA both win, it should be pretty much a given that one of them will be in Atlanta.
Old 10-07-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Grossman throws 4 interceptions, anyone can beat Florida.
Old 10-07-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Toefield has a broken arm, last season it was the acl, our man is falling apart. They are considering surgery but I don't know what good that'd do at this point, it doesn't look good for him.

But another thing, UF crushed LSU last year and LSU was at home, so maybe we'll have our revenge at last.

If I was UF, I'd be hoping that Spurrier will come crawling back.

PS, LSU did win last week 48-0 against ULL, it was 41-0 at halftime, so hopefully it'd mean that LSU's O is getting stronger.

Last edited by Ranger; 10-07-02 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
could they? possibly
will they? probably not.. florida has more talent.. and florida has a history of huge games after a loss.. of course, that was under spurrier, but most of this coaching staff is the same

florida didnt look good against ole miss.. but they looked great against tennessee.. so I guess it all depends on which game you want to judge them by..

an lsu win in this game would shock me.. but Ive been shocked before.
i agree. i think the fact that florida lost last week will make them want revenge. every time they lose a game they seem to come back and dominate the next game. after auburn beat em last year, florida smoked everyone until tennessee.

another reason i dont think lsu will win is their quarterback. i think mauck finally had his first decent game throwing the ball last week, but it was against la lafyette. against ms state he was 4 of 12. even last year in the sec champinoship game he beat tenn by running. i just dont think that his passing abilities would get any respect and fla could line up 8 in the box all day.
Old 10-08-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

http://msn.espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1008/1443087.html

Still, the Gators' quarterback says he has no regrets about sticking around to play for Ron Zook.

"No. No. No. No,'' Grossman said when asked whether he wishes he had left for the NFL along with Steve Spurrier. "We're still going to have a great season.''
Old 10-09-02, 01:27 AM

This game will all be decided by the battle between Florida's Offensive line and the LSU d-line. If Florida give Grossman time to actually play (like they used to do under Spurrier), then LSU will get rocked. Seriously though, I think Florida will pull out a close win, with Grossman getting knocked around a bit before settling down.

Florida 21, LSU 17