Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Avs ship Drury, Yelle to Flames for Morris

Old 10-01-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Avs ship Drury, Yelle to Flames for Morris

The Colorado Avalanche traded forwards Chris Drury and Stephane Yelle to the Calgary Flames on Tuesday for defenseman Derek Morris and forwards Dean McAmmond and Jeff Shantz.

Drury, 26, had 21 goals and 25 assists for the Avalanche last season. Yelle had 17 points.

"Chris Drury and winning are intertwined," said Calgary GM Craig Button. "He is a very good player in all areas of the game and we are very excited about adding him and the elements he brings to the Calgary Flames.

"Stephane Yelle has been an important contributor to two Stanley cup teams with Colorado and is a consistent and proven two-way National League player."

Morris, 24, led all Flames' defenders in assists (30) and points (34) despite playing in only 61 games. His top offensive season came in 1999-00, when he tallied nine goals and 29 assists in 78 games. McAmmond notched 21 goals and 30 assists in 73 games last season.

Shantz was limited to 40 games due to injury, tallying three goals and three assists.

"We are thrilled and excited to be able to add a top, skilled defenseman like Derek Morris to our lineup," said Avalanche general manager Pierre Lacroix. "In addition, Dean McAmmond and Jeff Shantz will bring great contributions to the future success of our franchise. We're sad to see loyal athletes like Chris and Stephane depart, but we have to pay a price to improve our hockey club."
Old 10-01-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Odd trade for the Avs. Drury was a clutch player. You don't trade clutch players.....I see this as a salary move.

Last edited by Nazgul; 10-01-02 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like it one bit!
Old 10-01-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Huh. I didn't think Colorado had much of a problem on the blue line, at least not enough to deal Drury. What's the scoop, dek?

Calgary's quietly putting together quite a scoring machine out there in Alberta.
Old 10-01-02, 07:21 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
MOTHER****ERS!

Stupid Pierre Lacroix shoulda traded Tanguay for Morris when he had it straight up, now we lose our next Captain and one of our best defensive forwards He waited to long and they took the offer off the table. BASTARD! We are thin at D as Lance Pitlick retired yesterday, but we shoulda dropped one of our smallish young forwards i.e. Nederost or Vrbata plus Tanguay.

Old 10-01-02, 07:25 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Re : Blue Line problems

We have 2 D lines basically as of yesterday.

Blake Skoula
Foote DeVries

After that we had Pitlick, Muir, and a bunch of rooks or career minor leaguers. Pitlick retired yesterday, so that left Muir and a big gaping hole on our 3rd D pairing. I knew something was coming once Pitlick retired. Bastards. Shoulda went after McLaren. Tanguay and Skoula for McLaren shoulda been enough.

This trade is terrible, terrible, terrible. BAH!!!!!**** **** ****
Old 10-01-02, 07:27 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

PS - Good luck to Drury, one of my favorite players, and Stephane. The Flames are getting 2 world class people and athletes
Old 10-01-02, 07:34 PM

Hmm, I didn't think Drury would ever leave Colorado, given his playoff heroics. It'll be interesting to see how the trade works out for the Avs...
Old 10-01-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-01-02, 08:34 PM

So..........dek.........do you like the trade or not?

Old 10-01-02, 08:42 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by indianajdp
So..........dek.........do you like the trade or not?

Do I like the trade? DO I LIKE THE TRADE?

I'm still fuming! You don't trade Drury especially since Forsberg is back. Now the 2nd line is Forsberg, Reinprecht, and ? Most likely Vrbata or some other smallish forward which is a bad move. Vrbata/Nederost play well with Sakic and Hejduk, not a Drury type player. Maybe McCammond will fill the role, don't know, I really didn't pay attention to Calgary last year. All I know is **** **** **** **** FCK **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** THIS TRADE!
Old 10-01-02, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by dek
Do I like the trade? DO I LIKE THE TRADE?
See, I still think you're on the fence about this.
opinion.
Old 10-01-02, 09:04 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by indianajdp
See, I still think you're on the fence about this.
opinion.
Bastard

Also, this probably helps out as Shantz will most likely be exposed in the Waiver wire draft.
Old 10-01-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm consoling myself with the fact that Avs have given up "heart and soul indispensable" players before and still survived. But I still don't like it.
Old 10-01-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yelle wasn't going to be protected, so they atleast got something for him, cept the 2 main players are Drury and Morris. Avs are stocked with forwards, and I guess it was either 1) Drury for Morris or 2) Tanguay and Nedorost/Vrbata. I see more upside with trading Drury and keeping two really good young player still, though Drury was clutch, and clutch is everything.
Old 10-02-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a Wings fan - I absolutely hated Drury cuz it seemed like he always had the clutch goal. Weird move - when I heard the first part of the deal (what the Avs were giving up), my first super-quick thought was "Oh, S--t! They must have nabbed a great player!". Then I heard the rest of the deal and thought "hmmmmmm."

Daryl
Old 10-02-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't understand this trade...bad bad bad bad move.

Hey dek want Jagr?
Old 10-02-02, 01:12 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

No to Jagr
Old 10-02-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just don't see Avs management being happy with Drury. On that end, I think it was good for them to move him, as they do have a few good young players...

and Lon, I'm surprised that you would give up Martin Skoula so easily in a deal for McLaren...Skoula is the future anchor of your D-Corps, and one solid young blueliner with a decent shot. Those are hard to come by in the NHL today...

All that being said, it doesn't surprise me that Drury got moved, seeing as how Tanguay seems to mesh better with Hjeduk and Sakic, and I think Morris is going to be a stellar pickup for the Avs blueline. Hell, I had been saying the Penguins should have went after Derek Morris when his name was being tossed around at the trade deadline last season. He is a good solid mobile guy that just plays very well night in and night out, but doesn't get much media attention or too much of a big name because of being in Calgary.

Overall, I think this is a great move for both teams, because now Calgary has someone to take a little pressure off Iginla, and Colorado has a little more future stability on the blueline.
Old 10-02-02, 07:52 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
I just don't see Avs management being happy with Drury. On that end, I think it was good for them to move him, as they do have a few good young players...

and Lon, I'm surprised that you would give up Martin Skoula so easily in a deal for McLaren...Skoula is the future anchor of your D-Corps, and one solid young blueliner with a decent shot. Those are hard to come by in the NHL today...

All that being said, it doesn't surprise me that Drury got moved, seeing as how Tanguay seems to mesh better with Hjeduk and Sakic, and I think Morris is going to be a stellar pickup for the Avs blueline. Hell, I had been saying the Penguins should have went after Derek Morris when his name was being tossed around at the trade deadline last season. He is a good solid mobile guy that just plays very well night in and night out, but doesn't get much media attention or too much of a big name because of being in Calgary.

Overall, I think this is a great move for both teams, because now Calgary has someone to take a little pressure off Iginla, and Colorado has a little more future stability on the blueline.
I don't think it was a matter of them not being happy with him, I think its a combination of a lot of things. 1 - Dru would have commanded a larger salary than the 2.5 mil he was making, it most likely would have ended up in a holdout. 2 - We have a logjam at forward. Basically there were 7 or 8 guys competing for 6 roster spots and our young studs need to progress in their future and not hang out in Hershey. We draft very well, so we've got stockpiles of youth. 3- Waiver Wire draft - Before the trade, they were going to leave Yelle exposed. But then they would have had to leave another younger guy exposed and risk losing him in the WWD. Trading Drury and Yelle frees up 2 spots and looking at the list right now, it did just that :

Eric Bertrand, F; Steve Brule, F; Brett Clark, D; Bryan Muir, D; Jeff Paul, D; Jeff Shantz, F; Brent Thompson, D; Brian Willsie, F

4 - His scoring dropped last year, big time - That I don't think they were happy about, but Drury played well as a 2nd line Center. Now that Forsberg is back full time, they don't want him playing the wing and getting mauled along the glass. Forsberg returning definately would have helped Dru's game immensley as in another thread I was reading "Forsberg could get Kournikova 20 goals" and the emergence of Reinprecht really made him expendable.

That being said, I still don't agree with shipping Mr Clutch. Period. Same with ditching Deadmarsh and Miller. Same with letting Klemm walk away for nothing.

RE : Trading Skoula - I'm actually for this all the way, he may be a stud in the future, he may not. I'm thinking not just from seeing him night after night. He's not under the spotlight very much in Colorado, but he makes tons of mistakes on a nightly basis. Much like in the playoffs where he was dropped to the 3rd line hanging with Bryan Muir, he will be anchoring the 3rd line this year. But if you had the opportunity to have this as your Defensive corps, tell me you would not pull the trigger :

Blake/Morris
Foote/McLaren
DeVries/Muir or whomever

I drool over thoughts of that
Old 10-04-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree that trading Drury is bad if don't get anything for him. Who knows how Morris, McAmmond and Shantz will perform surrounded by this new talent? It must have been a $$ thing.

Also, I can see Pierre making another move or two before things are over.

I have a weird feeling that Colo was concerned with Yelle being able to stay healthy. JMHO.

As for Skoula... this guy is the classic Nuke LaLoosh: a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. I expected last season to be the coming out party for Skoula, but even at year's end he was still making rook mistakes. I was a giant believer in him when he came up, but now I'm not sure.
Old 10-04-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can you just see it: Drury scores the Flames winning goal that knocks Colorado out of the playoffs in '03?

Old 10-05-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
Can you just see it: Drury scores the Flames winning goal that knocks Colorado out of the playoffs in '03?

That would be perfect.
Old 10-05-02, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Nazgul
That would be perfect.
Actually, perfect would be seeing the Red Wings lose game seven to the Avs.
Old 10-05-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by d÷wntemp÷
Actually, perfect would be seeing the Red Wings lose game seven to the Avs.
Nope, it was the other way around.

I'll never forget that game 7 vs the junior Avs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright ę 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.