Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Fight the Power by Public Enemy, why edited?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

recently bought the cd, and noticed that the line "elvis, he was a hero to most, he never did shit for me, redneck racist he was, mother fuck him and john wayne" had beeps/silence during the swearing. Confused me for a minute since my copy does have the parental advisory sticker on the front, and there is some unedited swearing on other tracks.

Anyone know if i got a bad copy, or is it like this on all versions, and is there a way to find the uncut version.
Old 05-28-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, my cd is definitely edited like yours. I have the cassette somewhere in a box in my basement, and I'm thinking it was like that on there too. Not sure why they did it. Maybe the version on the Do the Right Thing soundtrack is unedited?
Old 05-29-08, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah my CD is stickered with a Parental Advisory warning and it still has the beeps as does every version I've ever heard.

I'm thinking maybe because it was for the movie Do the Right Thing that the beeps got stuck on the master and they just left it that way.
Old 05-29-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Maybe the version on the Do the Right Thing soundtrack is unedited?
I was thinking this because (During the opening credits) that's the only time I've ever heard it unbleeped.
Old 05-29-08, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I was thinking this because (During the opening credits) that's the only time I've ever heard it unbleeped.
Interesting. . . it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, there goes my theory.
Old 05-29-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have a few hip-hop CDs like this. The one that comes to mind is A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory. On some songs, the cussing is edited. On others it isn't.

I always just chalked it up to the edited songs being singles and the label was lazy, but I'd have to double check the album to see if those particular songs were indeed released as singles.
Old 05-29-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought I read all their albums were due for a remaster box set with rarities. Maybe it will be fixed there?
Old 05-29-08, 02:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
recently bought the cd, and noticed that the line "elvis, he was a hero to most, he never did shit for me, redneck racist he was, mother fuck him and john wayne" had beeps/silence during the swearing.
I never understood that line. Say what you like about Elvis, but the last thing he was was a racist:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In 1957, Presley even faced accusations of racism when he was alleged to have said: "The only thing Negro people can do for me is to buy my records and shine my shoes." The singer always denied saying, or ever wanting to say, such a racist remark. Jet magazine, run by and for African Americans, subsequently investigated the story and found no basis to the claim. However, the Jet journalist did find plenty of testimony that Presley judged people "regardless of race, color or creed".
Old 05-29-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In recent years Chuck D has said he has found more respect for Elvis and his musical influence - I think to the point he even regretted writing that line.
Old 05-30-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Have one thing to say to anyone that wants the unedited verison it's out but it very-hard to get (I got in my collection).

It's from the Music Video (first-run verison).
Old 05-31-08, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a compilation called "The Hip Hop Box," which has an unedtied version. It's actually called the "Soundtrack Version" and is slightly different from the version found on "Fear Of A Black Planet."
Old 05-31-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RTorres481
There is a compilation called "The Hip Hop Box," which has an unedtied version. It's actually called the "Soundtrack Version" and is slightly different from the version found on "Fear Of A Black Planet."
Found it on itunes, now on my mp3 plyaer, thanks again.