Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Lucky Number Slevin'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Preston Jones's DVD review of Lucky Number Slevin at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23618 and...

I couldnt disagree more. The Movie started out strong, with a nice subtle score, a slow opening, and straight-up raw filmaking in a 70s style. The Director struggled to do something great with Wicker Park, but ultimatley it was bogged down and really suffered in being overly simple but overly long. He has a complete repeat with this, but this film also lacks a soul. I won't write a full review - this one from DVDTALK earlier this year that just about covers everything I would say about the film (he gives it 1/5):

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21025

I would also add that this movie is obsessed with death. It literarlly has no soul. If you enjoy watching people die meaningless deaths in what has to be one of the most visceral celebrations of cold callous evil, in a picture filled with characters who are all evil, then you will enjoy this. I guess I find it ironic that all the critics who bashed CRANK - (which rocked)- for its empty souless violence thought something like Sleven was interesting and witty. Crank my be filled with acts of violence, but they never seem as empty and souless as the cruelty in Slevin does - and Crank certainly doesnt take itself so seriously!
Old 09-10-06, 12:17 AM
X
Administrator

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts
One of the very few movies I had to stop watching so early into it. The dialog was so snappy and contrived it made a Bugs Bunny - Daffy Duck exchange sound like fine literature. As soon as Slevin got back to the apartment and Lindsay showed up (in about 3 seconds) I knew I couldn't handle another one of their "discussions" and off it went.

I was interested in what was going to happen but I couldn't stand listening to the dialog. The trailers on the DVD were 100x better.