Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who hated Pirates (POTC)?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-03, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I missed this during it's theatrical run and was excited to see it since many fellow DVDtalkers called this one of the best movies of the year or if nothing else, very entertaining. I finally got around to seeing it and didn't find myself particular invested in anything that happened. I also thought it was WAAAAY too long. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing this to great films like Citizen Kane, and I understand this is a popcorn movie but even so, I was not really taken in by the story or invested in any of the character's fates. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and let me know if you think I've missed something big. Cheers!
Old 12-13-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was alot of fun and it was a well acted popcorn flick. The story seems original in that instead of Pirates going after treasure
Spoiler:
they are trying to return treasure
. Even my wife who hates summer action flicks enjoyed this movie.
Old 12-13-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are six billion people in the world, so my experience is no, you're never the only one.
Old 12-13-03, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It had depp in it.. You are the only one who didn't like it.
Old 12-13-03, 05:16 AM

Re: Am I the only one who hated Pirates (POTC)?

Originally posted by typecase
Re: Am I the only one who hated Pirates (POTC)?
Yes
Old 12-13-03, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There was nothing about this movie that didn't please me, especially Depp, but I loved everything. It is the rare movie that I am just completely behind, no complaints out of me, and I love to complain.
Old 12-13-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
I think this movie did well because it exceeded expectations (at least for me). When I first heard they were making this, I wasn't looking forward to "another pirate movie", especially one based on a cool ride at Dizzyland.

But there was a lot of good talent behind the project. Sometimes that can work against a movie (Dreamcatcher, anyone?) but in this case it lifted the movie above just being "another pirate movie".

Your criticism of the running length has been mentioned by a few reviewers, but, IMO, if you're really into the movie, time is fleeting (Lord of the Rings EE). When you start checking your watch, that's not a good sign.

Don't feel like you missed out on a good movie. One of my favorite movies of all time, 2001: A Space Odyssey, will certainly polarize viewers. Maybe when the sequel to PotC comes out, you can revisit the first one and see if it might not be all that bad. If not, no biggie... plenty of movies out there to grab onto and hold.
Old 12-13-03, 09:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While there are those who didn't like this movie, there hasn't been the usual "internet backlash" against it at all...which is very rare for a film this popular.
Old 12-13-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,380 Likes on 941 Posts
I didn't see it in the theater and just recently watched it on DVD. It was a decent action flick, but nothing that really jumped out at me. I also question why the movie made so much theatrically.
Old 12-13-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This one also didn't grab me, which surprised me since I like period swashbucklers (especially with horror overtones), and I like the occasional big-budget summer popcorn movie. I think part of it was that I read an interview with Depp before I saw it where he talked about using Keith Richards as model for his character, and I couldn't get that out of my mind while watching it. It just had TOO much comic relief for me, that it brought me out of the drama and creepy aspects.

I felt the horror/comedy/popcorn aspect really worked for me with The Mummy, but for some reason it didn't with POTC. Maybe I was just in a bad mood when I saw it--I might give it another shot.
Old 12-13-03, 01:43 PM

imo... it wasn't bad, I was expecting it to be horrible, its a great movie to rent once basically

personally I can't relate to the people that love this movie, even my sister does I am getting her the DVD for christmas, I got a feeling she has a thing for orlando bloom
Old 12-13-03, 01:46 PM
Suspended

I like it. I bought it the day it came out, never saw it in the theater, and watched it twice so far. It's a decent story, well acted and the effects were great, but I think if it was about 20-30 minutes shorter it would have been perfect. After 2.5 hours, the infamous Jack Sparrow, oops I mean CAPTIAN Jack Sparrow, started to get a little annoying, as great as Depp is, it just went on a little too long for me.

And, is Caribian pronounced Car-rib-e-in or Ca-ruh-be-un)?
Old 12-13-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It bored me must've been the script. I was surprised. I ended leaving the movie halfway through. I had high expectations.
Old 12-13-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

-Beautiful production design - both at Port Royal and in the ships
-Depp as a drunk, gay, 1700's Keith Richards
-Keira Knightly, who's always good.
-Geoffrey Rush going "arrrr".

I loved it.
Old 12-13-03, 04:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i didn't hate it but i didn't like it much at all. went on for far too long too. Just seemed way to disneyish for me. I know, they had to keep it tame, but it just seemed cheap and blah....
Old 12-13-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 159 Posts
It was okay, but not incredible. Some story editing to tighten up the ending sequence would have helped a lot. Depp's character was a little annoying, because he kept oscillating between hero and comic relief. They really needed to pick one and stick with it. After all, you can't be both Gene Autry and Gabby Hayes at the same time.
Old 12-13-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't hate it, but it didn't really do anything for me. Johnny Depp was the lone bright spot in the film. Keira Knightley's a hottie, but she was nothing more than a damsel-in-distress. Orlando Bloom was bland as usual, but at least he wasn't attempting a horrific American accent like in Black Hawk Down. Jack Davenport(who's brilliant in Coupling) was badly miscast. And it had one of the worst scores ever composed for a big budget blockbuster. Figures that a piece of crap like Cutthroat Island gets a killer soundtrack, while POTC is stuck with a chump like Klaus whatever the hell his name is.
Old 12-13-03, 06:03 PM

I just saw it today myself. Thought it was excellent in every aspect, to be honest. Acting, sets, FX, locales, direction... No complaints from me, though the one "try wearing a corset" joke was lame.
Old 12-13-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dug it. Depp is king.
Old 12-13-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by necros
Either way is correct, however, it is spelled "Caribbean".

As for the movie . . . I think it is a really good "fun" movie. Good eye candy on all accounts, solid story, good mix of comedy and action. But, by no means is it a "great" movie . . .
Old 12-13-03, 06:39 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by necros
If you're Billy Ocean, then it's Ca-ruh-been.
Old 12-13-03, 06:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by yecul
No complaints from me, though the one "try wearing a corset" joke was lame.
It wasn't a bad joke in and of itself, but the fact that I'd seen it about 10,000 times in the previews before the movie came out pretty much dulled its impact.
Old 12-13-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think the main reason why there was such good word of mouth was because for the months and months prior to release, everyone was talking mad shit about the film. then it opened and it wasn't all that bad. people had to eat crow and the shit talking went away.
Old 12-13-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
-Beautiful production design - both at Port Royal and in the ships
-Depp as a drunk, gay, 1700's Keith Richards
-Keira Knightly, who's always good.
-Geoffrey Rush going "arrrr".

I loved it.
OK I love your recap, you sent me flashing back to my favorite parts. I think I may have to go put it in again right now. God this movie pleases me so.
Old 12-13-03, 10:16 PM

Well, like it or not, get ready for POTC 2 (but not until 2005)

(Rumored) working title: Pirates of the Caribbean: Treasures of the Lost Abyss

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.