Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who hated Pirates (POTC)?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Am I the only one who hated Pirates (POTC)?

Old 12-13-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For me, it was way too long (at least 30 minutes too long), and I have no interest watching it more than once.
Old 12-14-03, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't understand the love for this film. There's a great 110 minute movie in there but it's overlong. Don't hate it, but it ain't the Second Coming.
Old 12-14-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some of you don't get it, it was panned before it was even finished filming and marked to be DOA but was actually enjoyable. add to it that it has some big box office draws in bloom and depp it is simple to see why it made bank.
Old 12-14-03, 01:44 AM

Depp was great but it was just too long. I had high expectations after everyone raved about it. So I was let down. The story was cheesy, the girl falls for the poor blacksmith and blah, blah, blah. And what is the point of sword fighting the dead when they can't be killed??
Old 12-14-03, 01:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Question for those who found the film "too long." What would you cut?
Old 12-14-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was the movie too long guys? 'Cuz I haven't heard anyone say that yet in here. I would have thought someone would point that out by now.
Old 12-14-03, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It had too many notes.
Old 12-14-03, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by gross@iastate
The story was cheesy, the girl falls for the poor blacksmith and blah, blah, blah. And what is the point of sword fighting the dead when they can't be killed??
So what, you prefered to see the men cower and jump into the ocean, madly swiming away, only to realize they were 100's of miles away from land, and then drown? Yeah, that would have been smart.

I kinda wished I would have watched it in theaters after buying this DVD. I've watched it twice and I feel I could watch it over again just as easily. Hopefully when Pirates 2 comes out they will have the adventures of will tanner at sea, and sparrow better be in it aswell. Face it, for most people. The movie is an enjoyable popcorn action movie. I'm very suprised and amazed at this film. Especially that catchy tune!
Old 12-14-03, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen
It had too many notes.
Old 12-14-03, 08:15 AM
Banned

good flick...imo...
Old 12-14-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found it interesting that the local critic here complained about the fight scenes, "Why fight them if they can't be killed?" but raved about the Burly Brawl in Matrix Reloaded.
Old 12-14-03, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Question for those who found the film "too long." What would you cut?
In the film, most of the scenes with Kiera Knightly's betrothered. Utterly awful. At the script stage, I would restructure it so they don't leave the Hideout, and then go back!
Old 12-14-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I will not proclaim this film to be a masterpiece it is a damn fun adventure movie. I think it's overlong and plodding in its pace, but it's fun and has a great great character that is very entertaining to watch. It ain't best picture material but I can see why it was so successful...it was an excellent popcorn film.

And why did they fight those invincible pirates? Well, sure they can't kill them, but if they don't fight they get killed themselves. Makes sense to me. Why did they shoot the terminators when regular bullets wouldn't kill them? Same idea.
Old 12-14-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chalk another one up for a bit too long. I thought Depp's idea to imitate Keith Richards was brilliant and really worked. But I won't be running to the theater to see a sequel.
Old 12-14-03, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
I found it interesting that the local critic here complained about the fight scenes, "Why fight them if they can't be killed?" but raved about the Burly Brawl in Matrix Reloaded.
Yeah, sounds like your local critic isn't very consistent with his reviews (the one in my area really sucks too, so I know what you're talking about). The undead pirate battles didn't bother me just like the Burly Brawl didn't bother me. Either you dig it or you don't.

As for Pirates, I too thought it was too long. It could of ended satisfactorily in about four different places. Overall, it was fun to watch...once. But there was nothing about it (except the great Johnny Depp, of course) that made me want to see it again. In fact, Depp *made* that movie as watchable as it is. The rest of the film was pretty bland except for him. The music was awful; it wasn't swashbuckling or pirates music at all, just a rehash of every Bruckheimer music theme ever done. And I usually like Bruckheimer movies! I think I just found it to be ordinary and too lengthy to begin with, and then because so many people have proclaimed Pirates to be one of the best movies they've seen in a long time, I dislike it a little bit more than I normally would.

And Kiera Knightley, who was great in Bend It Like Beckham, utterly sucks here. She starts off as a damsel in distress, then suddenly can fight with a sword and be a token female action star towards the end of the movie? I don't buy it.

But all hail Johnny Depp.
Old 12-14-03, 09:28 PM

I didn't think the film was too long at all, although I like long movies. I was also surprised by how "un-Disney" it was. Much of the dialogue was actually pretty witty, and there were no cringe-inducing jokes that I can remember. It was a really fun movie that exceeded my expectations.

Not everything has to be a timeless classic to be enjoyable.

Also, the fact that no one is using "Di$ney" in this thread means that everyone must have enjoyed it a little bit.
Old 12-14-03, 09:41 PM

When I saw it, it seemed about 20-30 minutes too long. I didn't see it a second time to think of what to cut, but it really felt too long. Like they went too far into details at some points or it dragged on on certain areas. Not calling attention to any particular scene, though.

I also remembered there were a few jokes that were badly written, and some were too greatly written that, at least with the people I saw the flick with, went over their heads.
Old 12-14-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never felt that the movie was too long. In fact, I felt like it was one of those movies that I didn't want to end. Much like LOTR, the time seemed to go by quick.

This was easily one of my favorite movies of the year and I think its one of the best action films to have come out in the last few years. I loved everything about it: characters, story, effects, etc.

I'm not sure what problems people had with the script? I thought it was well written. Even a friend of mine who read scripts for a living told me to look out for this film because he said the script was good.

Anyway, this movie will soon be proudly displayed on my dvd shelf.
Old 12-14-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe the people complaining about Keira being a "damsel-in-distress" in the movie. IMO, she was anything BUT a D.I.D.
Old 12-14-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I can't believe the people complaining about Keira being a "damsel-in-distress" in the movie. IMO, she was anything BUT a D.I.D.
I agree wholeheartedly. She really got tough and took charge of things pretty fast. I was impressed with how strong she was, her being a damsel-in-distress didn't cross my mind.
Old 12-15-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 991 Likes on 692 Posts
I too liked the movie. I think expectation did have something to do with it. Even after the previews I thought it would be trash. But to my surprised it is one of the better movies this year. At least as far as this type of movie is concerned.

Unfortunately I basically know that the sequel will stink. Not any inside info just track record.

- Delightfully surprised by chemistry "newness" of the film
- Studio sees $$$ then strips the idea to nothing but crap
- Examples MiB2, Mummy Returns, utterly disappointing sequels.
Old 12-15-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ginwen
It had too many notes.
Well . . . there it is . . .

Originally posted by metaridley
And Kiera Knightley, who was great in Bend It Like Beckham, utterly sucks here. She starts off as a damsel in distress, then suddenly can fight with a sword and be a token female action star towards the end of the movie? I don't buy it.
I gotta disagree with you on that one. In the very first scene she was in she was scolded by her father for being too fond of pirates. Then she was shown not enjoying the "latest fashions" in women's wear. She was definitely being set up for the tomboyish, action chick role.
Old 12-15-03, 09:44 AM

I think I really could have hated the movie if it weren't for Depp and Rush. With them, I only have a slight indifference to it. The movie has the superficial detail and obvious staging of a mid-budget made for TV period series (a la Xena and such) with only the most fleeting moments of charm coming from certain actors' efforts to let the audience in on the joke.
Old 12-15-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, you're not the only one.

This movie was a complete waste of time.

What a dull, dull movie. Void of any story, few good jokes, lame action, annoying and pompous music, annoying performances, and all-in-all just a LAME movie.

I HATED this movie, SUCH A WASTE OF MONEY and TIME.
Old 12-15-03, 10:35 AM
Retired

I loved it, but I'm sure there are others who disliked it as well. Different strokes for different folks.

It's not oscar material or anything, but it is one of the best popcorn flicks I've ever seen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.