Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Ingmar Bergman

Old 07-30-07, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP Ingmar Bergman

Link
Old 07-30-07, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Truly the greatest director ever.

He was 89 and made more than 50 films... yet he left us too soon with too few films.
Old 07-30-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 07-30-07, 05:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A giant in cinema and someone who appeared to find peace in his later years. I've been captivated by his films for years, and I haven't even seen all of them. He will be missed, but his presence will never leave us, as long as we have his movies to remember him by.
Old 07-30-07, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
R. I. P.
Old 07-30-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have only saw Cries and Whisper in all of his filmography and I don't really enjoy it. But I respected the movie and I respected the director so... RIP.
Old 07-30-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
A giant in cinema and someone who appeared to find peace in his later years. I've been captivated by his films for years, and I haven't even seen all of them. He will be missed, but his presence will never leave us, as long as we have his movies to remember him by.
Old 07-30-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was actually reading a book called "1001 Films You Should See Before You Die" (or something of the sort) last night right before going to bed, and read through a review of Shame and Persona (two personal favorites of his).

A truly awe-inspiring filmmaker. Right now I don't believe there will ever be another in his profession to truly understand and effortlessly express the idea of human nature on film.
Old 07-30-07, 08:32 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
When I first became a film snob, Bergman was, to me, the man. I've since moved beyond that, but he was truly one of the greatest directors of all time. A man who consistently treated film as an art form, and his audience as intelligent people, not sheep to be fed.
Old 07-30-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard this on NPR driving in to work this morning, followed by an interview with Max von Sydow. Very sad news. My first instinct was to go right back home and pop in Wild Strawberries or Persona.

I admit I got a little misty. I find it strange that certain actors and filmmakers can affect us on such a personal level that we do actually mourn their passing. As conscience said above, Bergman expressed something about humanity in such a unique way that we actually saw something new in ourselves after watching his films. I remember watching Wild Strawberries for the first time in film school and feeling deconstructed from the inside out.
Old 07-30-07, 08:45 AM
Banned

R.i.p.
Old 07-30-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From the haunting mysticism and imagery of THE SEVENTH SEAL to the warmth and sensitivity of FANNY AND ALEXANDER, he always surprised and amazed his audiences.

Fortunately we live in a time when his films are readily available at our fingertips, and always in our memories.
Old 07-30-07, 11:52 AM

Ingmar Bergman has passed away (14/7/18-30/7/07)

I don't even know what to say. The man was a legend within the realms of cinema and theatre. He was my favorite film director of all time. A great artist. Such sadness is in my heart at this moment...

Feel free to share your thoughts and reflections on the man and his work in this thread. We will miss you, Mr. Bergman.

"Ingmar Bergman, one of the greatest film artists of all time, died this weekend at age 89, at his home in Faro, Sweden. The director of over fifty films in a career that spanned 1946's Crisis to 2004's Saraband, Bergman opened new doors for foreign-language films in the U.S. during the 1950s, when his masterpieces The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries introduced moviegoers to new forms of visual and metaphorical expressiveness. Bergman's dominance over the art film scene lasted through three more decades, with such riveting works as the Oscar-winners The Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly, Cries and Whispers, and Fanny and Alexander, among many others. As the filmmaking of Ingmar Bergman was something of a linchpin for the early days of Janus Films, we at Criterion and Janus are especially saddened by the news of this legend's passing—we send our thoughts to his friends, family, and fans, and give thanks to nearly sixty years of artistry that changed the landscape of cinema." -- www.criterion.com

Last edited by hulka; 07-30-07 at 12:01 PM. Reason: nagging grammatical error
Old 07-30-07, 11:54 AM
Banned

old

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=507711
Old 07-30-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I will always remember what time it was when I heard this sad news. I looked at the clock and it had no hands.

RIP
Old 07-30-07, 12:06 PM

Thanks for telling me. It won't let me delete the thread. If a mod could take care of it, then I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the duplicate thread.
Old 07-30-07, 12:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by hulka
Thanks for telling me. It won't let me delete the thread. If a mod could take care of it, then I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the duplicate thread.
i hate that we can't delete our own threads anymore.
Old 07-30-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
We lost a great one.

R.I.P.
Old 07-30-07, 12:10 PM

I don't even know what to say. The man was a legend within the realms of cinema and theatre. He was my favorite film director of all time. A great artist. Such sadness is in my heart at this moment...

We will miss you, Mr. Bergman.
Old 07-30-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A personal favorite of mine from Bergman is Hour of the Wolf. Certainly his beautiful craftsmanship with F&A, Seventh Seal, and Wild Strawberries carry most of his idyllic zeal, but Vargtimmen left me thoroughly haunted and pleasantly taken aback due to its potency. And I favor it, more than likely, because it is one of his lesser works that shows me how versatile a director can truly be.

Bergman, don't you worry a single bit. We'll be absorbing your glorious pictures for many, many moons to come, over and over again.
Old 07-30-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Phenomenal director. I recently got into his work about a year or two ago and completely fell in love. At least he had a long and extremely productive life.

R.I.P.
Old 07-30-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He will surely be missed.

R.I.P.
Old 07-30-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
A personal favorite of mine from Bergman is Hour of the Wolf. Certainly his beautiful craftsmanship with F&A, Seventh Seal, and Wild Strawberries carry most of his idyllic zeal, but Vargtimmen left me thoroughly haunted and pleasantly taken aback due to its potency. And I favor it, more than likely, because it is one of his lesser works that shows me how versatile a director can truly be.
Yeah, Hour of the Wolf was just...it's not his best, but there's something about it that makes the movie endlessly fascinating. I'd happily watch it over his more beloved stuff like Persona and Cries and Whispers, or even Fanny and Alexander.

Shame to hear he died. Lots of people think his stuff is pretentious and hard to understand, but I think that's horribly unfair reputation and is only accepted because three of his most popular films are also some his most cold and abstract--Cries and Whispers, Persona and The Seventh Seal. But if you watch movies like Wolf, Fanny and Alexander, The Magic Flute, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Silence and especially Wild Strawberries and The Virgin Spring, you'll find a director whose movies are a lot more interesting, warm, approachable and down to earth than one would imagine.
Old 07-30-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, I wonder what the best Bergman film to watch in his honor tonight might be. "Saraband" depicts a man much like Ingmar, alone on his island in Faro and coming to terms with the follies and unforgivable acts of his youth. Perhaps too dark. "Fanny och Alexander" covers well his early years and is certainly elegaic in tone by the end (and the death of the father sets all in motion), but doesn't seem quite right either.

So far, I'm thinking "Wild Strawberries" might be most apt.
Old 07-30-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
R.I.P

Amazing director.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.