Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

30 Days of Night - October 19th

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-08-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another graphic novel film adaptation for us to sink our teeth into.

From Cinematical:
The film is based on the graphic novels of the same name by Steve Niles, and the story centers on a small Alaskan town that is overrun with vampires who have descended on the town to take advantage of the lack of sunlight -- a huge selling point that ensures 30 days of uninterrupted feeding. Leading the pack of humans trying to survive is Josh Hartnett as the local sheriff and Danny Huston as Marlow a.k.a. the bad guy.
The first teaser poster has now been released and can be found here.
Old 06-08-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailer debuted today:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/30_d...t/trailers.php
Old 06-08-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Looking forward to this. I just finished the first book and will start the second one ("Return to Barrow") soon. I wonder if they'll punch up the ending a tad.
Old 06-08-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Looks cool. I like the story/idea. Will def see it.
Old 06-09-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I remember when the Graphic Novel came out and this movie looks pretty good so I'm in.
Old 06-09-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That trailer looked pretty cool, never read the graphic novel, but I'll be checking this out for sure.
Old 06-09-07, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks surprisingly good!
Old 06-09-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I read some of the comics and I was thinking this would make a cool flick. I've warmed up to Hartnett enough that it doesn't bother me that he's the lead. I just have a bad feeling it's still going to suck.

Edit: Just watched the trailer. I think it actually looks like it could be really good. Sure, the vamp genre has been abused more than an altar boy in a Catholic church but this looks kinda cool. Visually it reminds me of Silent Hill and that was a gorgeous film. Guess we'll see in Oct.

Last edited by islandclaws; 06-09-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-09-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We'll see... Its been a while since I read the comics but I remember them being a bit "sparse". Will defintely check it out though.
Old 06-10-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, a movie where the vampire's are actually scary, rather than those goth/effeminate, Anne Rice, Nancy vampires. Cant wait.
Old 06-10-07, 12:38 AM

Damn, talk about a movie made for John Carpenter to direct.
Old 06-10-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Linn1
Damn, talk about a movie made for John Carpenter to direct.
Damn You! I was all excited to see this by the trailer and then you said that. Man it would have been so perfect. It's like 3 of carpenter's films combined into one. Damn that would have been good.

And the graphic novel sucks. Kind of neat art, great concept, but the actual story isn't really there. No one who reads comics every said it was a ground breaking comic, let alone good. I hope the writer/director treat this more like history of violence then sin city.

Basically what happens in the comic is:

Spoiler:
Vampires attack, town is fucked, good guy gets bit on purpose and fights off bad vampires. That's it. But I'm making it sound cooler then it actually is.

The spin off comics, like bloodsucker tales and the short stories are kind of good though.

Old 09-25-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
I am a big fan of the first "30 Days of Night" TPB, but the rest of the books went stale for me.

After seeing the trailer earlier this month, I'm looking forward to giving the movie a shot. I'm glad the film makers seem to want to keep the look of the comic for the movie.

Hopefully the movie will follow the story of the first book.
Old 09-26-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Agreed. The first TPB is excellent, if a bit uneven throughout. But the trailer looked awesome! The vampires look like the homicidal straight up evil type. I'll be there opening night.
Old 09-26-07, 10:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
if Josh Hartnett wasn't in it, I'd be a tad more excited.
Old 09-28-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Many many years ago when I was a wee lad, I learned that some places like Alaska have weeks of no sun and I wondered if it would be a good place to go if I was a vampire. Guess I should've taken pen to paper and I would be rich right now.
Old 09-28-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Based on the few reviews that have come on from some sources, like Dread Central, this sounds like the second coming of vampire movies. Now I'm even more pumped knowing this film appears to deliver in spades.
Old 09-28-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Many many years ago when I was a wee lad, I learned that some places like Alaska have weeks of no sun and I wondered if it would be a good place to go if I was a vampire. Guess I should've taken pen to paper and I would be rich right now.
Yeah, but Tales from the Crypt still would have beaten you to it.
Old 09-28-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really regret not getting Steve Niles to sign a copy of the 30 Days of Night TPB when I had the chance back in August. Oh well.
Old 10-02-07, 09:50 PM

Yeah. I'm game.

I like Sam Raimi's work (well..sans Spiderman).

But I'm not sold on Josh Hartnett as a sheriff.
Old 10-02-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUr0IwxCJMk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUr0IwxCJMk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 10-02-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very excited about this one. Josh Hartnett doesn't grate on my nerves, as I enjoyed him in Lucky Number Slevin and his very brief role in Sin City. Also, Danny Huston is becoming the character actor to beat these days after Children of Men and The Proposition, and given he's good (which I count on) Ben Foster will complete the rise-to-fame hat trick he started with Alpha Dog and 3:10 to Yuma.

Sam Raimi's production company may have released some repugnant PG-13 shit, but I have faith in this one because of how it's a vampire movie that ain't emo. Might be the best vampire movie since From Dusk Till Dawn (or The Lost Boys if you're not a fan of that).
Old 10-03-07, 03:48 PM

looks like it will be entertaining, ill most likely see it
Old 10-16-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got back from seeing this. It was a decent vampire movie, but I was a little bit under whelmed overall. But then, I had very high expectations. Something about the vibe I got from the trailers made me think I'd be getting something that was extremely unique, new and different. Unfortunately I was a little letdown in those regards. While the movie is a notch above the average horror movie, it was still fairly conventional in a lot of ways.

Some things I disliked:

-lots of cliche situations, characters, and plot developments. The hurt relationship between Hartnett and the female lead felt shallow, uninteresting and tacked on. Most of the major events were predictable.

-The use of the "shaky" effect was obtrusive and irritating. It was the same thing we saw a lot of in 28 Weeks Later. It's that odd, undercranked effect we've been seeing a lot of lately. Its purpose, I suppose, is to increase intensity. What it really does is disorient the viewer.

-The progression of time hurt the feeling of tension and danger for the characters. Without giving too much away, at one point the survivors are holed up in a building, and then we see on the screen "Day 7," and then later, "Day 18." When I saw that, I thought to myself, well, they've lasted 18 days doing what they're doing, why not just hang out another 12 or so?

Some things I liked:

-The vampires were pretty awesome. They were very menacing and creepy. These are the first vampires I've seen that have an entire mouth of sharpened teeth. That was pretty unique.

-The movie was dead serious, which is refreshing to me after so many horror movies lately have fallen victim to the overuse of comic relief. Hatchet is the most recent offender. The underplayed tense music added to the air of seriousness as well.

-The gore was spectacular, and the deaths, especially one in particular near the end, were very brutal. Though they would have looked better if there were less quick cuts and use of the shaky effect.

-Though I wasn't overall impressed with the direction and editing, there were a handful of amazing birds-eye-view shots of the ensuing vampire carnage as they're overtaking the town. Pretty cool.

Overall I'd recommend this movie for fans of gore, vampires, or horror in general. Just be sure to keep your expectations to a realistic level and you'll be entertained.
Old 10-17-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darqleo
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUr0IwxCJMk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUr0IwxCJMk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
I loved the bit where you could see the woman's breath but not the vampires. It sort of reminded me of
Spoiler:
the end scene in The Thing

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.