Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

We can rebuild her and re-package her into a new show... (merged)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

We can rebuild her and re-package her into a new show... (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
We can rebuild her and re-package her into a new show...

'Bionic' skein rebuilt at NBC
'Galactica' guy preps revamped 'Woman'

By JOSEF ADALIAN

"Battlestar Galactica" exec producer David Eick is teaming with feature scribe Laeta Kalogridis to reinvent "The Bionic Woman" for NBC.

Eick and Kalogridis will exec produce a new take on "Bionic," a 1970s spinoff of "The Six Million Dollar Man" in which Lindsay Wagner played tennis pro-turned-superwoman Jamie Sommers. Skein aired for two seasons on ABC before shifting to NBC in 1977 for its final year.

"It's a complete reconceptualization of the title," Eick told Daily Variety. "We're using the title as a starting point, and that's all."

NBC U Television Studio is producing the new take, which has been given a script commitment by the Peacock.

Eick and scribe Ronald D. Moore turned Sci Fi's Peabody Award-winning "Battlestar" into a series vastly different from its predecessor, making it a metaphoric examination of the post-9/11 world. Eick and Kalogridis are planning a similar "re-imagination" of "Bionic Woman."

Instead of focusing on terrorism and militarism, the new "Bionic" will explore the role of professional women in contemporary society and how they juggle their various roles.

"It's using the idea of artificial technology as a metaphor for what contemporary women sometimes feel is necessary to do everything that needs to be done," Eick said.

Eick, whose shingle is based at NBC U, said he'd been considering various titles in the Universal library that would be good candidates for a "Battlestar"-like revamp. He decided to take a stab at "Bionic," and then sought a meeting with Kalogridis.

"She met with me under the guise of a general meeting, even though I knew I was there to romance her about 'Bionic Woman,'" Eick said.

Kalogridis, who has a busy feature slate, wasn't looking to do a new TV project -- but changed her mind when she heard Eick's pitch.

"She basically indicated to me that 'Bionic Woman,' and the possibility of one day being able to do a (new take) on it, was one of the reasons she got into showbiz in the first place," he said.

While Eick wouldn't discuss details of the new "Bionic Woman," he did indicate the technology will be much advanced from 30 years ago.

"It's going to be a meaningful departure" from the original, he said, using words such as "nanotechnology" to hint at what's in store.

Kalogridis is working on a pair of projects with James Cameron, penning "The Dive" and co-writing "Battle Angel" with the helmer. She also wrote the Russian-language "Night Watch," "Pathfinder" and "Alexander."

On the TV front, Kalogridis created the WB skein "Birds of Prey."

"Bionic" project was packaged by Endeavor.
Old 10-10-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as long as they bring along the standard bionic sound effects and super slo-mo running, I'm onboard.
Old 10-10-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is possibly the second most god-awful idea I've ever heard.

Of course, the MOST god-awful idea I've ever heard was to do an updated version of 'Battlestar Galactica.' And that turned out to be one of the greatest sci-fi dramas ever made. So my record on predicting these things currently stands around 0%.
Old 10-10-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Instead of focusing on terrorism and militarism, the new "Bionic" will explore the role of professional women in contemporary society and how they juggle their various roles."

So instead of having her fight bad guys, she will just be some single-mom lawyer with bionics that uses them to keep up with male coworkers as well as run to her kid's soccer games? Sorry but if you are going to go through the trouble of making a bionic show, there should be plots that put her in danger or others in dangerous situations so she can use them. I don't remember the old show but why not make her an FBI agent or a spy or something. Maybe something like Alias but where she uses bionics to fight enemys but trys to keep them a secret from friends/family in her private life.
Old 10-10-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also Galactica isn't really that different than the origonal if they are trying to use that argument for changing Bionic Woman. The colonies still get wiped out and the Cylons are chasing the human surviors across the galaxy. Sure somethings are different but the basic premise is the same.
Old 10-10-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Just as long as they bring along the standard bionic sound effects and super slo-mo running, I'm onboard.
You forgot the super cool 70's pant suits.

This could work if dont right.
Hope they bring back the Fembots at one point although after Austin Powers I don't know if you could call them that.
Old 10-10-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It doesn't sound very appealing. If it gets past the pilot, NBC will kill it after a few airings anyway.
Old 10-10-06, 04:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds good to me. It's about time she got her bionic ass back into the kitchen and BAKED ME A PIE.
Old 10-10-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved me some Bionic Woman back in the 70's so I would be all for an updated version.

I have never seen the new Battlestar Galactica but have heard it is great. I am going to watch it on DVD one of these days.
Old 10-10-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Didn't they try something like this on UPN a couple of years ago. A sort of six million dollar man type show and Lee Majors even guest starred. I can't remember the title, though.
Old 10-10-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
Didn't they try something like this on UPN a couple of years ago. A sort of six million dollar man type show and Lee Majors even guest starred. I can't remember the title, though.
Jake 2.0?
Old 10-10-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heart Jamie Sommers
Old 10-10-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The main good news is that this will likely hasten the release of Bionic Woman and $6 Million Man on DVD.

Other than that, it doesn't sound appealing. But, as mentioned, neither did the Galactica remake, and look what we got!
Old 02-13-07, 11:14 AM

British actress Michelle Ryan becomes "Bionic Woman"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070213/tv_nm/bionic_dc

16 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - British actress Michelle Ryan has landed the title role on NBC's drama pilot "The Bionic Woman," an updated version of the 1970s series that starred Lindsay Wagner.

Ryan, best known for her five-year turn on the popular BBC soap "EastEnders," will play a bright woman who is transformed into a technological wonder with $50 million worth of bionic components implanted in her body.

"The Bionic Woman" was originally a spin-pff from "The Six Million Dollar Man," which starred Lee Majors as Col. Steve Austin.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Chris
Old 02-13-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, inflation's a bitch!

I guess Sandra Bulloch's asking price these days would prohibit her from reprising her role as the Bionic Woman II.
Old 02-13-07, 12:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Guess she's glad she didn't get cast in Doctor Who.
Old 02-13-07, 02:56 PM
Banned

I wonder how they intend to modernize this series (Hey! isn't this a Television Thread thingie). Are they gonna have her be able to hack wireless modems and decrypt incoming satellite transmisions or will it be all about the jumping down from high places in reverse?
Old 02-13-07, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kudama
I wonder how they intend to modernize this series (Hey! isn't this a Television Thread thingie). Are they gonna have her be able to hack wireless modems and decrypt incoming satellite transmisions or will it be all about the jumping down from high places in reverse?

If they make it a serious movie, then I think all of that would be possible. But if they make a campy remake of the 70's series, then it will probably follow that.

Chris
Old 02-13-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Michelle Ryan, I knew Lindsay Wagner. I worked with Lindsay Wagner. Lindsay Wagner was a friend of mine.

Michelle Ryan, you are no Lindsay Wagner.

Old 02-13-07, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Michelle Ryan, I knew Lindsay Wagner. I worked with Lindsay Wagner. Lindsay Wagner was a friend of mine.

Michelle Ryan, you are no Lindsay Wagner.

Well she is going to be playing "The Bionic Woman" not Lindsay Wagner.
Old 02-13-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't this a TV project?
Old 02-13-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I give it 3 episodes, tops.
Old 02-13-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Another Jake 2.0?
Old 02-14-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmmm... a bionic woman, eh? Could come in handy...
Old 02-14-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=480295

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.